"Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- Make it happen!!

You're on Page 3 of 30
Go to
  • i am pausing today.. so its still day 16 for me, its a torrential down pour here.. tho i will still b doing my circuit training 2night... But my challenge is to walk b4 work... so it will b apause for the challenge..
  • Day 2 down!
    Ok, all, I'm going to snap off something here. I am finishing up Day 2. I almost went off and decided to start over but then I didn't. The longer I get into the challenge the harder it is to do that, so I guess it was today or never. I do have three pause days but I want to save them for some planned socializing. The food is not a problem. I can go straight through on that I think but the drinks is not something I want to say no to sometimes

gray -- Glad to hear you're feeling better. You have achieved liftoff! Good luck and just think, you CAN do this. It may take a while..but you will. I took about three months to finish my first challenge! I hear you on the hating the 2 before your weight but soon you'll be out of there. No, of course you didn't gain 8 lbs. Stay away from the scale and just concentrate on getting your eating habits in order...or your exercise..or both. The emotional connection is a strong one. It takes years to cultivate other connections. Try to. They can be formed just like the eating ones were formed over the years, no doubt when we were babies and kids. But, think of things you CAN do instead of eating. They are there. They may feel weird at first and not even satisfying but eventually they will become rituals just like food. You can do it. Go for it!

mez -- How are you? Are you counting with us? I didn't see a number in that nice long post.... Bat wings, is it? Hmm. Triceps (the muscle in the back of the arm) are just not used that much, but you can work them just sitting there watching TV or chatting on the phone. And you can go and go. A few reps is not going to do much unless you're using very heavy weights and you'd have to work up to them anyhow. Just sit there and put your elbow up behind you with your upper arm way up there at shoulder height. Then straighten your arm back. Keep your muscles taut and do it rather slowly. Make sure you keep your elbow UP! the whole time. As your arm nears being straight out behind you give it a good squeeze and straighten your arm. Hold it there for a beat and lower rather slowly, always keeping it a bit taut like you're pushing something. You don't even need weights. Just do this constantly for long minutes at a time. Count to 10, do the other arm, come back, repeat. Do it watching TV or switch hands as you're talking on the phone. This will help firm up the muscle. You probably won't see results until you get more of the weight off though, but you will see the results sooner than if you hadn't done any toning. Oh, you can only do this, by the way, when you are not wearing your strait-jacket!

Shad -- Good advice. Thanks for checking in!

marble -- Wow! So sorry to hear you're injured. Just what were you doing? Maybe you have a bad cold coming on or something. I can't imagine this is from the exercise unless you were straining with heavy weights or something...hmmm. Well, in any case, I hope you can better real soon!

crd -- Bravo on your first day down!! Keep the good stuff going!

Chaps -- Any progress on your next challenge yet? Pushups would be good, and if you do variations on where you place your hands you can work your triceps too and help get those arms you want. Oh, I'm not nuts. I love nuts too, especially cashews and pistachios. That's WHY I am abstaining from them. The calories are just too high and there' s no stopping with just a handful. I was never into chips or snacks, except popcorn, but nuts I AM nuts about! I eat slow-cooking oatmeal every morning, with a dash of 7-Grain cereal thrown in, soy milk and raisins and some toasted wheat germ on top. I eat muesli sometimes too and that has cold oats in it and it is good! My horse loves 'em too, so you're in great company!

Fish -- Great going!! Glad to see you made it through Day 2. You know, that seems strange that you have such a hard time sleeping. Have you looked into what could be causing that? Too much caffeine or tea or do you exercise soon before going to bed. Getting the heart rate up too high before trying to sleep makes it hard. I don't know. I am asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow, always! I wake up during the night too, usually because of the cats making some noise or something. Some people are just not good sleepers but I think you should do a little detective work there. You may be able to help yourself sleep better.

friends -- Well, I'd say you got your exercise in, eh?! Good going! Good luck on your adding the minutes to your gazelling. Try to do some nice stretches after your exercise. That will help take some of the soreness away. Often, working through the pain, if it's just muscle pain and not an injury, will take the pain away. And just pop an aspirin if it's too bad. Nothing wrong with that. I do it after a heavy weight training day when I'm walking like a 100-year-old!

curly -- Congrats on Day 16 down and pausing for the rain...OK! You have two more pause days so let's hope the weather clears. Oh, a big hand for all that weight lost! I thought you said you were on a plateau. 11 lbs since September sounds like a plateau I'd like to be on!!

Apple -- How are you? Feeling any better! Hugs, hugs, smiles, smiles!!!!

carla -- Heh, where are you? I'm listening to 99 Luftballons now...they're not red, no, I don't think so. My red balloon is from the French film (1958?). Know it?

• Day 4 completed yesterday. I am eating lots of apples to control appetite and not drinknig and sodas. I am drinking more water and writing down everything that I eat. The weekend will be the hardest time because its easy to have a routine when I am working all day, but I am determined to make it through.
  • Hi all,
    No time to read, no time to chat, gotta run off to work. Just wanted to say I did exercise yesterday and have not yet today so I will be back to hold myself accountable.

Make a great day!
    Lisa
  • Hi all and happy Friday. Made it another day at 1498. A little to close But I did make it. Good luck to everyone on reaching your goals.

Bye for now

Christina
  • Made it through day 3 at 1389 calories. Today and this weekend are going to be hard if it keeps pouring. But I will do my best.

Christina - it looks as if you and I are doing an identical challenge. Good luck to you!

Red - I love that movie! We saw it in highschool French class (I can't believe sophomore year was 20 years ago!) Thank you for your concern about my sleeping. I have actually *never* been able to sleep well. My mom remembers when I was about 5, I told her that I never sleep. I just lay there and be quiet. That is still what I do! I try to just breathe and relax until I finally doze off. If I take a sleeping pill, i am asleep within an hour. However, not only do I not really like taking them, if i don't take one before 9, it is too late because I will be too groggy in the morning.

Marbles - oh my gosh, I am so sorry about your back. I hope you feel better soon.

Melody - what type of apples are you eating? I normally like only green apples, but just tried this type called Macoun (sort of red and green) and it is so yummy and crisp. I have had one every day for the past week and a half.
  • wimper, wimper, wimper...I can still post even if I'm not challenging? It seems Coach Carla has deserted me...as she rode off on her Gazelle...

RB, I think I did strain it by yanking one of the dumbbells in bad form...(duh!) Many Advil and a few Vicoden later, I am feeling better, I no longer SCREAM IN PAIN after sneezing and I can even cough a bit.

I will renew my challenge from Day 1 as soon as I heal hopefully within a day or two, right now I consider it an accomplishment to clean the catbox!

Congrats to everyone else, you guys are doing great!
  • Hello! Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm feeling OK this morning, but its the end of the day where I have a tough time. Last night I almost cried because my kids didn't like the dinner I made. I am way too emotional these days. I don't think the caffine has too much to do with it. I've never had a problem with it before. I've been pregnant 3 times so I know I can handle no caffine AND no alcohol. I had better motivation then, thats all.
    I did get through day one, Tra LA LA!!! Red, you are right about diet effecting my mood too. I've been eating terribly, too much processed stuff. I'm sure if I watch what I eat for the next few days, I'll be feeling better. I really miss getting out for a walk too. It's been hard to find the time, but walks always invigorate me.
    Well, thanks again for being there I'm so glad I found you guys!

PS- Fish, I did a "mini" no beer challenge and after a week I decided to continue with it and I completed a full challenge! It easy once you get over the hump!!
  • Apple, don't cry if the kids won't eat your dinner....tell them they have a choice...the lovely healthy food you slaved over a hot stove to provide.......or NOTHING..use the old line..."there are children starving in___________"

(worked well when i was a kid....we always ate what was put in front of us--but the dog had gas from the beans and broccoli)
  • Hi all,

I don't know what happened to my little post from last night - maybe I didn't really post. Maybe it was all a dream. If I don't get around to it tonight, remember I haven't forgotten you - just wavering back and forth between fatigue, stuffing my face, and mild insanity. (I never should have taken myself off those meds...) Tonight I'm being taken out for a belated birthday dinner by a bunch of colleagues - we don't often find ourselves all captive in the same city, in this case Halifax. Good thing I'm still off challenge! More later, I hope.
  • Hi everyone! I just wanted to share some great news - I just received my acceptance letter into the D.C. Bar! I will be sworn in in mid-November! I didn't think there would be any reason I wouldn't be accepted, but it is nice to get the official word. Plus, I applied back in March.
  • at the start of Day 3...
    It's just after 4 a.m. here and I am drinking my coffee and cooking up my oatmeal and will get out soon for a long day. In the mornings, I force myself to NOT think about how much I want to sleep, how hard thing are..I just think go, go, go, just DO it! It's not easy...but I can be one determined Earth Pig! (That's my sign in the Chinese horoscope!! )

carla -- Hang in there! Enjoy your time off but do get back on a challenge with us soon! Insanity is OK...as long as you feed your cats....just stop with the stuffing of the face part okay?!?! That and you'll be beating yourself up for being over 200 again! Don't!!!

marble -- Of course you can post! as long as you are contemplating, dreaming of, or in some way longing for the adventure of a challenge!! I got the starving children line a lot early on I think but then it was just, "down in the cellar with you until you finish that food!" and "stop your whining and EAT IT!!!" My parents didn't fool around! Sure hope you're feeling better soon!

Apple -- Good! Feeling okay is good! Remember, caffeine and pregnancy and NOW are all different. You are different, your body is totally different, you have a different outlook, everything! I always think it is best to try whatever we can to deal with ourselves. I think I was born with a mind that tends toward introspection and in this world, that can only lead to depression unless you shore up your defenses, physical, emotional and mental, constantly! This is life's challenge. You can meet it and come out on top. It's not easy. We can help. But you must always look to conquer! I am very happy to hear you made it through Day 1. Drag yourself through if possible but keep your eyes on the fact that you are doing it or have done it, even if you have to crawl. WHATEVER IT TAKES...make that your motto.

Fish -- Congrats on Day 3!! And excellent going on getting into the Bar!! Fantastic news!!! ..... Glad you liked that movie too. I remember it from school French as well. Well, it sounds like you're just not a sleeper, eh? I'm glad you stay off the sleeping pills though. Perhaps your body just doesn't need the sleep. Still, maybe there are things you could do to help you sleep...more exercise...changing your food around. It could be that you were doing things from the start that affected your sleep or that you have certain food allergies that affect it. In any case, I hope it doesn't affect you too badly.

crd -- And she's in by a short nose!! Congratulations on another day down. Close is fine! Important thing is that you got through it okay!

friends -- Hi there, fly-by!! Get that exercise in!!!

Melody -- Hurrah for you!! Day 4 down. Keep those apples coming!!

• Its me again. I just wanted to congratulate Fish!!!! That's awesome!!

I have had a really bad headache today. But I'm not sure it's the caffine. I think I might have a sugar problem too. The headache came after eating 2 I think my next challenge will be no sugar. I also think it will be really really hard, but I might be able to do it if I'm riding on the success of this one!! Hey, there's some positive words coming from me. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!
    Thanks again for helping me through this fog I am in....
  • Congrats Fishwoman on your acceptance
  • Red – I guess I sometimes get caught up in replying that I forget to mark my days here. Today is Day 3 – so far so good. Thanks for the workout for my bat wings. I’m going to give them a try.

FishWoman – CONGRAT!!!

Sorry so short everyone I have my grandson and I can't take an eye off him. If I have him with my on the computer he bangs the keys. TTL