Help DESPERATE how do you lose weight on anti-depressants

You're on Page 8 of 14
Go to
  • The Xenical is for weight loss, also known as Orlista....
  • If that's the case, I need some of that! What kind of doctor prescribed it for you?

How do I put my blinkies in my post?

Casper

• Tired of the weight gain (for the second time)
    So....Here I am again....enbarking on my second bought of quitting antidepressants. Hopefully for good this time. It's nice to know there are others out there, like me, who see the vicious circle that these antidepressants can actually cause.

I was on zoloft for 8 years when I begain weaning off of them 3 years ago. Once I quit completely, I began the Atkins diet and lost about 20 lbs in 3 months. This was quite an amazing feat as I had not lost more than 2 in the last 8 years and, in fact, had gained over 25 on my small 5'2" frame. I had kept the weight off for about 7 months, but the carbs crept back into my life and then all **** broke loose in the depression department. What made it even worse was that I knew I would have to go back on the drugs, but couldn't bring myself to do it because I knew I would gain all the weight back....and then some. It took about 2 months of sheer depressive **** to finally bite the bullet and go back to the Dr. I advised that I wanted only the Wellbutrin, but after about 2 months, I started feeling anxious on it. He decreased the Wellbutrin and added a small (10mg) dose of Celexa. This has, over the past 2 years, added another 20lbs (to a total of 172lbs) on my frame. I am, again, fed up. I begain working out with a trainer in January(who says point blank that the weight will not come off as long as i'm on the meds) and I eat very well (track calories & exercise religiously).

4 weeks ago, I began to wean off the celexa again (with Dr. assistance), taking one Celexa and one Wellbutrin on one day, and 1/2 Celexa & one Wellbutrin the next. I did that for 3 weeks and started the 1/2 Celexa and one Wellbutrin every day last week. I must say, I'm feeling a bit more of a withdrawal than I did when I went off the Zoloft 3 years ago. I have had the most brutal headache for the last 2 days and have been feeling like I'm getting the flu or something. I actually MAY be, but I doubt it. I am exercising every day and calling that my "medicine", which helps, for now anyway.

Anyhow, I just wanted to put this all down so that I can track my progress (or lack thereof). I have no plans to be completely off Celexa until after Xmas as I don't think I would be able to handle Xmas with my mother after just coming off. That will be a test for next year...LOL. Is there anyone else out there who has or is coming off medication in an effort to lose weight?

This is a great site for comfort and feedback.

Thanks for reading!
  • Hi Hawkeygirl

I went off Celexa last May....it was just awful...my doctor called it discontinuation symptoms.....my doctor said to go off it gradually for 6 weeks....which I did....for 5 1/2 months.....I was so depressed.....I had never had such terrible depression like that before.

Someone I know....told me about someone who was going off Celexa....they were told to only go off it 5% at a time....to dissolve the Celexa in a certain amout of water & to drink 95% of it....to do that for a certain amount of weeks.....to avoid the discontinuation symptoms.

April
  • Wow I am taking celexa.... I worry now about coming off it...
  • I have been on anti-depressants for most of my life (11 years of 21) and i am now on effexor. I haven't been able to lose my last 15 lbs, but ive lost 40 lbs with the anti-depressants, and its do able but hard! i just wanted to let everyone on here know that i know how hard it can make it, but you can still do it!

Ive been using WW, but what has really helped was being more active. It helped with the depression, and it helped me lose wieght, and i felt better about myself, and so i was less depressed... (its a big cycle for me). Lately ive been struggling, and i started to go to WW meetings in person, but it hasn't kicked in yet. Ive started taking an anti-anxiolytic (klonopin) to help me sleep at night and reduce my anxiety during the day.

Anyways, Good luck to everyone else.

• Quote: If that's the case, I need some of that! What kind of doctor prescribed it for you?

How do I put my blinkies in my post?

Casper
    Just my normal doctor.... quite easy to get in the UK!

Blinkies... upload them to photobucket or somewhere and then copy the link with the [IMG] tags and paste into your siggy space.... it should then show in the normal size!
  • Quote: ....ive lost 40 lbs with the anti-depressants, and its do able but hard! i just wanted to let everyone on here know that i know how hard it can make it, but you can still do it!

That's amazing that you've been able to lose 40lbs. I am already very active daily. What types of exercising have you been doing that has enabled you to lose the weight. I'm very interested. Perhaps I'm doing the wrong things.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that since I've begun reducing my Celexa to 1/2 per day, my appetite has certainly decreased. I notice I eat much, much less now. I have to keep pretty good track of my intake so I am sure I'm getting enough calories to give me the energy I need to exercise as much as I do. Hopefully I'll begin to see a change in the scale soon!
  • Prozac
    I was on Zoloft for a couple of years and gained about 30 pounds. Have been on Prozac for about a month and have started losing - not eating as much and a lot more energy. I was hesitant to use it but the doctor told me it has the most research behind it of all antidepressants in its class. I feel sooo much better! I need to upgrade my weight chart, but I have lost an additional 10 pounds in the last month! I have also been on Effexor in the past as well as Lexapro. None of them ever worked as well for me as the Prozac!

Oh, and it doesn't have that certain little side-effect that Zoloft has other than weight gain -
  • icmethinner... that's great it's working for you! well done on the added loss!
  • Ok now you all are scaring me. I haven't read all the posts!
    I finally realized that I could have anxiety issues that triggers depression. I made an appt to see a Dr. for 11/23 I was iffy on the possibility of taking Meds but now I'm really iffy. I've lost so much weight, I don't want to gain it all back plus some. Should I hold off and try to deal with it on my own or what?
    Does exercise really help to increase endorphines in your body? Someone told me to try to eat healthy and exercise more to avoid taking meds. Is this true?
  • I've had my celexa upped to 40mgs daily now.....
  • I am so glad I read this! I have just been diagnosed with depression along with anxiety. I go in for my med. eval. on 11/23. I know what to talk to the dr. about because there is no way in hades i want to gain weight. I am working so darn hard and trying to get rid of it, that gaining would send me even deeper.
  • Welcome Hawkeygirl! Don't think that I've seen you here before! Glad to hear that you are already very active. I do (when I do them ) pushups and situps. I don't have the luxury to be able to go to a gym and we don't have room to set up our rowing machine! I doubt if you are doing the wrong things. What things are you doing?

Careful with your meds! Did you reduce your Celexa to 1/2 per day or did your doctor? Hopefully you will begin to see a change in the scale soon!

I love your avatar! I love cats! Wish I knew how to get a picture for my avatar that's custom like yours!

Hi icmethinner! Welcome! I can't take Zoloft. I used to be on Prozac - glad to hear that you have started losing. I had no problems with Prozac. Glad to hear that you have not been eating as much and that you have a lot more energy! Glad to hear that you feel sooooooooo much better! Congrats on losing 10 pounds in the last month! That's great! I'm on Effexor now. I've never been on Lexapro. I agree with you about the Prozac!

The side effects that I had on Zoloft have not been documented yet!

Hi Mazarin! Thanks for the help with my blinkies! Haven't tried them in my signature yet, since I figured out how to put them in my posts, but thanks! You're the best! How have you been? How are you feeling now that you've had your celexa upped to 40mgs daily now? My cousin is on that. I didn't make my last appt. with my doctor, but I need to make another appt.! We were supposed to talk about meds.

Welcome Rakkoon! It is possible that you have anxiety issues that trigger depression! Good luck on your Dr. appt. on 11/23! Try not to be iffy on the possibility of taking meds. Congrats on your weight loss! Whatever you do, I do not think that you should hold off and try to deal with your depression on your own! But I am not a doctor! I don't know about the endorpines, but yes, exercise does help! Definetely try to eat healthy and exercise.

Welcome bearcatmo! Glad to hear that you're glad you read our posts! Welcome to the world of depression along with anxiety! You are not alone! Good luck on the 23rd with your med. eval. Glad to hear that you know what to talk to the dr. about. There's no way in hades that we want you to gain weight either! Keep in touch!

Casper
  • Quiting Prozac!
    I'm so happy to have found this site! I have been having some health issues lately that have caused me to want to get off the prozac. I've been on it for 5 years now. Over the last five years I have gained 100lbs. Talk about miserable. My doctor who prescribed the meds said to me "I don't know if you are depressed because you are fat or fat because you are depressed." "Either way the medication will help." Looking back on this I could scream. 100lbs is a lot of weight and it just kept coming on and coming on no matter what I did. I've cut my dosage in half for the last week and 1/2 and I feel like someone let the air out of my stomach. When I take a dose I feel like someone blew me back up.

Has anyone else gone off their meds and felt better?