Weekly Chat Aug 15-21

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • Good morning everyone!

I'm about to start day three of this conference I'm at . . . I am so tired! I was hoping that I would be able to come back from this conference full of enthusiasm for my research, but unfortunately, even though it's interesting, I'm just becoming more convinced that I do not belong in the world of research. Now I need to figure out how (and when) to tell my advisor that I want to quit with my masters at the end of the year.

Okay, aside from that stuff . . . obviously I have gotten no exercise since I've been here, except walking to and from the conference center. The schedule is so packed that I leave first thing in the morning, and come back just in time to get 8 hours of sleep before the next day. I have been trying to make healthy choices with eating and be aware of portion sizes, but it is difficult because they provide all our food. The one thing I ate that I probably shouldn't have was ice cream, because when I told my friends I was going to a conf at Penn State they all said "Go to the creamery and get ice cream!!" so of course I had to do it. And I can't just eat half of a cup of ice cream! Supposedly it is an average of four days from the cow to your ice cream here.

I don't really have time to catch up on what everyone's been saying, but I did have one question for you all (I know you may not have an answer) . . . I know there are a lot of books and support groups for dieting for Christians. But are there books on dieting for other religions, not just Judeo-Christian ones? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a Jewish diet book either (I guess we are obsessed with food! ). But I was mostly wondering about more new-agey type stuff.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!
  • Happy Sat. ladies!

I got an interesting wake-up call this morning.. My mom's car insurance company called, and I took a message because she and my sister decided to stay away an extra night. So I wrote down all the info, half asleep, until she said "Let me give you the claim number for the accident." Woah woah WAIT! Hold up a second.. she told me that my mom got into an accident last night, the other guy called her insurance company, which sounds to me like it was my mom's fault.. which I just can't see, because my mom is such a careful driver (She's only been in one other accident, to my knowledge, at least 10 years ago.. she hit a patch of black ice and hit a guard rail). The lady reassured me, told me there were no injuries.. I wonder why my sister didn't mention it when she called me last nigh to say they were staying an extra night?

Well, my 2 days off are over, so it is time for me to go to the evilness of Wendy's! *sigh*... And strangely enough, I find it easier to stay on-track there, surrounded by bad food, then I do at home, when the only food in the house at the moment is stuff I got! Go figure..
  • Fae- it's easier to justify a binge on "healthy" stuff like graham crackers or peanut butter as opposed to an entire meal at wendy's with fries and a large frosty. you KNOW that is bad for you. maybe that's what your subconscious is telling you. either way, if it works then that is a good thing.

I am headed to a conference for work in wichita falls, tx tomorrow and won't be back till late tuesday so i am hoping i'll be able to keep on track. my co-workers always tease me about eating right and exercising but one of them is on WW and another has high cholesterol so maybe they should take MY lead for the next couple days...we will see how it goes and i'll report back.
  • Liz - this is true.. I think the fact that I have been working there for 4 years (ick) helps too.. after all, I've eaten pretty much everything there several times... so the fries and things don't look nearly as yummy when you eat them EVERY day!
  • It worked that way for me when I worked at the movie theater in terms of popcorn and nachos but for some reason it was hard to keep away from the bulk candy! too many choices i suppose...
  • Fae- I would be so angry (after I knew everyone was okay) if nobody told me that my parents or brother were in a car accident!

I've been off track myself the last couple days.... with exercise, that is. I can use the excuse that I've worked 12 hours yesterday (11a-11p) and came in early today (7a-7p) and I do a lot of walking and pushing an lifting at my job. I get paid to work out for three days in a row! I still feel like a slacker when I don't work out on days I work. I just get so tired!

sara g.
  • Laila - I was angry! Especially since my sister told me they would be home by 5, so I kept calling from work, and noone picked up at my house! Turns out they went to the Renissance fair.. and I forgave them, since they got me presents! (The most special of which was the insanely nifty celtic harp I am in love with.. )
  • Fae- did you ask them about the accident? Yes, I too love gifts, and they will usually make me feel guilty for being angry in the first place! I want to go to the Renissance fair one of these days. I also want to go to the state fair, I've never been to either. I might have to go on one of my days off.

Sara G.
  • I started a new Chat thread for the new week--see you all there!