brand new!

• Hi, I'm Sarah. A friend pointed me in this direction, although I've no idea as to what her username is. I'm 22 (for another couple of weeks), married, mother of a 16 month old. I work 40-50 hours a week; I'm half saleswoman half bookkeeper office staff for my dad's business (we buy and sell used manufacturing equipment). I was 155 most of my teenage life, very active with dance, marching band, chores, etc. The only time I weighed less was at 18, when I was using a lot of drugs (I went down to 148). After I got my first apartment (same year as 148), I got a desk job and skyrocketed to 185. I held steady at 185 until August of 2003, when I discovered I was pregnant. During my pregnancy, I packed on the pounds until I hit about 243. I had a planned c-section (health issues that had nothing to do with weight or the pregnancy). I left the hospital at 220. When I got out, I saw my doctor, who put me on Meridia and told me to go on the South Beach Diet. I found my way back to 190, but the Meridia caused me to go crazy! I ended up with postpartum depression (which I think is partially due to the Meridia). I was on antidepressants for six months, and then on amphetamines (prescribed) until June of this year while a team of doctors tried to decide if I had a sleep disorder or not. In the meantime, I kicked the depression (for the most part), got married, and got lazy.

In June, I also started seeing a nutritionist. The prospect of a 1600 calorie a day diet and having to log my food caused another depressive slump, and I went from 190 to 198 to 204. The nutritionist was very unhappy with me. When I went in a few weeks ago, she was downright pissed.

For the last 8 days, I've been sticking to my diet (which is just a dietary exchange diet), I've been eating three homecooked meals a day (mostly pulled from the Joslyn Diabetes Center's Quick & Easy Cookbook), and working out incessantly. I went to Curves 5 times last week, and I went today. I'm waiting on my Billy Blanks Bootcamp DVD's to get here! I'm excited.

I'm down (in just 8 days!) by 4 pounds and 1.5% of my bodyfat. I'm totally shocked. I feel great, too. Just very hungry.

So that's the long and obnoxious version of why I'm here. Anyone else doing a dietary exchange type diet? I'm not diabetic, but it's ensuring a balanced diet.

Sarah
  • Well I think you are on the right trak so keep going you should be very happy with yourself .
    we all have our ups and downs ,just remember to think twice about the up's and move on from the down's good luck I know you can do it.
    karen
  • Hey Sarah,

wo I read your history and I think like Karen you are on the right way. But choose your goals carefully and take small steps. Just one after another. Then I think you will do it!

By the wa, I'm german and did not understand what "Meridia" is. Would you please tell me?