Hi, I am new! (and don't want the Lite bars)

• Hello, my name is Jeffin and I just started the program this week (although dieting won't start for another week due to a vacation next week). I am not at all interested in the Lite bars- can I still be successful without them?

Thanks for the info in advance and I am really excited to get to know all of you. You seem like an extremely supportive group!
  • Hi Jeffin!

You can certainly be successful not doing the lites - one of the chickies, Karen/Metalchick did it that way. They will move you to the next higher portion plan - which will probably be red. (I'm on purple, and I started just 20 pounds higher than you.) Just a note - there are no sweet treats on the program - well, there is ice cream -(1/2 c = 1 starch), so must of us rely on the lites for our sweet tooth.

Come in and join the fun on our monthly thread.

Julie
  • Thanks for the info, Julie. They put me on blue because I work night shift. Will I still have to change without the bars? If you just eat one bar daily or occasionally, what do you sub in? (protein, starch, fat) for the bars you are missing?
  • Jeffin -- there's been some posting that you sub a starch and a fruit for a bar. (There is a LAWL breakfast bar that's 210 cals that is substitued like this, so it does make sense) However, I've never done this, since I'm on the two bar a day plan. The centers seem to go either/or with the bars - not a mix. Someone may have a different answer for you.

If you go without bars, they should change your plan. In fact, I'm sort of surprised that you're on blue considering that you started above 185. The protein servings on purple are bigger, but you lose the extra starch and 1/2 protein. Maybe they are closer calorie wise than I thought, after all.
  • I wouldn't worry about the bars. I read an article recently by a former LAWL counselor, and she said that in her experience, those that did not use the bars actually did better on the plan, but they were required to push them because it was a major source of revenue.
  • does anyone know the nutrition specifics of the LA Lites? cal, fat, pro, etc.....

Thanks!
  • Hi Jeffin! Welcome!

I did the program without the LA Lites...

They should put you on Red when you tell them that you don't want to do lites. They changed me to purple when I reached 184lbs. Purple has larger protien portion sizes to compensate for the protien not provided by the LA Lites. They can modify your plan to your individual needs.

If you don't do the lites, your refund is invalid. So if you purchased a year of maintenance in the hopes of receiving half your money back in the end, you will forfiet this if you don't do lites. So remember that when making your final decision. I didn't purchase but 6 maintenance weeks; therefore, I wasn't eligible for the refund anyway so I didn't care

LAWL's program can be successful with or without lites, supplements, or any of their snacks. I don't buy any of it. I did buy a few products in the begining; but I learned quickly that I wasn't going to break the bank on these products. I didn't use the CareCredit either. I paid up front in cash and paid for anything I needed as I went along.
  • The breakfast bars are different nutritionally than the LA Lites. The breakfast bars count as a starch and a fruit...but the LA Lites have more protein.
    If you are not going to do the Lites, tell the counselors and get moved up to the next plan, so that you have more calories. If you want to stay on the plan that you are currently doing-and want to substitute the Lites for something else, here are some subs that contain similar counts as far as protein and calories:

~1 egg and 1 dairy (skim milk or yogurt 80-100 calories)
    ~1 Luna Bar
  • Thanks everyone for all your help! I purchased the entire program with the maintenance phase not knowing the price of the bars (yeah I am a sucker), but if I choose to eat a Luna bar 2x daily, can I write I ate a Lite bar in my journal? Will the counselors still count that as being "on the program"? Can't I tell them I bought them elsewhere?

However, my counselor may not believe me since I was so adamit on my first visit that I was not buying the bars or supplements. I even told her if she was going to be mean to me about it, she could just give me my money back now. Of course, then she was SO nice! Anyway, just wondering if I can scam?
  • Jeffin - this is the deal - if you don't do the lites, you are put on a plan with larger and/or more portions - so there is no room for a lite - if you understand? If you go with the lites, you can certainly say that you bought them off ebay or something.

Does this make sense?

Julie
  • Julie- what you wrote makes sense. Thanks for your help!
  • I am also doing the plan without Lites - I have lost 19 lbs in 10 weeks - so almost the 2 lbs a week they promise WITH the bars. I am on the purple plan b/c I am not doing Lites, but I started on the Gold plan when they thought i was going to buy them - ha.

So what I do is follow the gold plan and eat 2 pria or south beach bars instead of their bars. I don't tell them - I just fill in my purple diary and make up an extra veggie - that is the only difference other than larger portions.