question re snacks ???

• Ok i just have a silly question i know that the book says you are to have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day but last night i was really hungry even after my nighttime snack is it ok if i have something else light a light cheese stick or something??? or am i cut off after my meals and snacks have been eaten??? Thanks for the help!!!
  • if you're hungry eat... it'll keep you from cheating in my opinion. lots of people need a nite time snack.... i still don't regularly eat dinner until 9 pm most days and it hasn't affected my weight loss. i usually have a snack when i get home from work 6 pm and then eat my full (although light) meal at 9pm. if its going to keep you from cheating i suggest having a light snack. perhaps start counting your calories for a week to see if you're getting enough. it may well be that even though you are eating 3 means and 3 snacks a day you're not getting enough calories. i know i have that problem. i am supposed to be eating about 2200 calories/day (1900 for weight loss) but only regularly get around 1500.... the only time i got close to 1700 was when i cheated and had a few (um 5 ) beers. that could also be why you're still hungry. or perhaps you're not getting enough protein.
  • Our bodies sometimes sense hunger when we're really thirsty. I think it's best to first drink 8 to 16 oz of water, wait 15 min. Then, if you are still hungry, it's not your brain trying to trick you -- so pick a healthy snack to eat. That should also help you begin to discriminate between a "craving" and "hunger".
  • have veggies and plenty of beans with your dinner -- you won't be as hungry later. but if you are, watch out that you haven't had your alloted servings of dairy if you grab a cheese stick!!! I recommend hummus and peppers or other veggies (maybe with some ranch dressing?)