Sugar Busters June 2001 Recipe Board

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This is the SUGAR BUSTERS JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARD.

When posting a recipe, please make sure all ingredients are SB legal. If there are any ingredients that are NOT SB legal, please post a note with an alternate ingredient that may be substituted in it's place.

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4770

APRIL 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=3775

MARCH 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2379

FEBRUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2375

JANUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9743#post19743

DECEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9741#post19741

NOVEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/newr...&threadid=2356

OCTOBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2355

SEPTEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2354

AUGUST RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2353

JULY RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2352

MAY/JUNE RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2351
  • I haven't tried this one, but it looked easy.

Breakfast Bran Muffins

2 cup milk
    2 cup whole bran cereal
    2 eggs
    ½ cup oil
    ½ cup agave nectar
    2-½ cup whole wheat flour
    4 tsp. baking powder
    ½ tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt

Combine milk and bran in bowl. Let stand for 1 minute. Add eggs, oil and agave, beating well. Stir remaining ingredients together. Add to liquid ingredients, stirring until just mixed.

Spoon into greased muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes 12.
  • ZUCCHINI PARMESEAN

I like eggplant parsmesean but of course all that frying and wrong sauce is no good. I had a friend who grew way too many zucchinis and thought of this. SO SIMPLE

Your meaurements are all your own. Pick the pan you wish to use. Spray w/ Pam.

Wash and slice zucchini. Put a layer of it in pan.

Spoon on a legal sauce, top with a sprinkle of grated parmesean cheese and a layer of grated or shredded mozzarella.

Repeat layers until you think you have enough for meal. I like some leftover too. I usually make at least 2 layers, sometimes 3.

Bake at 350' about 40 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.

Delicious. My dil is allergic to eggplant but she can eat this.
  • found this recipe while cleaning house this morning. I have not tried this yet. It is a recipe from the American Diabetes Association.

Sugar Free Oatmeal Cookies

1 C each whole wheat flour and oatmeal
    1 tsp each ground cinnamon and baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg,allspice, and cloves
    1/2 C raisins (omit)
    1 C unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 C water
    1/3 C vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 C finely chopped nuts

Combine flour,oatmeal,cinnamon,baking powder, baking soda,nutmeg,allspice,cloves,applesauce,water
    oils,eggs,vanilla, and nuts in a mixing bowl. Beat well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned.

Makes 48 cookies.
    each: 42 calories,1 gram protein,5 grams carbohydrates,2 grams fat, 22 millgrams sodium, 38 milligrams potassium,11 milligrams cholesterol
  • This recipe looks sooo interesting, I wish I had a scanner to post the picture! It looks like a 3 colored layer cake, so you can get a visual!

THREE-BEAN TERRINE

(if using canned beans, drain and rinse them thoroughly-if using home-cooked beans, blend 1/4tsp salt with each of the three bean purees).

Nonstick cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
    1/4 cup PLUS 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
    7 large egg whites
    6 cloves garlic, peeled
    3/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 cup PLUS 3 tablespoons water
    1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini (white kidney beans) or navy beans
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1 1/2 cups cooked red kidney beans or pinto beans
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1/2 tsp hot red pepper sauce, or to taste

1. Pre heat the oven to 350F. Coat a 9x5x3 loaf pan with the cooking spray. Line the bottom of the loaf pan with wax paper and coat the paper with cooking spray.

2. In a food processor or blender, whirl the black beans, 3 Tbl of the yogurt, 2 of the egg whites, 2 of the garlic cloves, the coriander and 1/4 cup of the water for 1 minute, or until smooth. Spoon the puree into the bottom of the prepared pan and smooth the top.

3. Wash and dry the food processor or blender, then whirl in it the cannellini, the remaining 1/4 cup of yogurt, 3 of the egg whites, 2 of the garlic cloves, the lemon juice, and sage for 1 minute or until smooth. Gently spread this puree on top of the black bean puree.

4. In the food processor or blender, whirl the red kidney beans, remaining 2 egg whites, remaining 2 garlic cloves, tomato paste, remaining 3 Tbl. water, and red pepper sauce for 1 minute or until smooth. Gently spoon this puree on top of the cannellini puree, spreading and smoothing it to the edges of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and place in a larger baking pan. Pour enough hot water into the larger pan to come 1 inch up the sides of the loaf pan.

5. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then run a spatula around the edges and invert the loaf onto a serving platter. Remove the wax paper and slice. Serve at room temperature.

Per serving: Calories 161, total fat 1, protein 13, carbs 27, fiber 6
  • SWISS DIJON CHICKEN ROLLS

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    3/4 cup shredded Jarlsberg light Swiss cheese
    6 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
    4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3/4 cup ww bread crumbs
    4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons dried tarragon
    Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly coat and 8 x8 baking dish with no-stick spray. Place the chicken between pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap. With a meat mallet, pound to about 1/4" thickness. Place an equal amount of the Swiss cheese in the center of each breast. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix the milk and mustard. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, tarragon and pepper to taste.

Roll up each chicken breast, beginning with the smaller end. Dip each roll into the milk mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat completely. Place in the prepared baking dish with the rolled end down. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more, or until golden.

Per serving 243 calories, 9 grams fat, 30.4 grams protein, 8.3 carbs
  • Eggplant Italiano
    This taste like eggplant parmasean, but a little healthier!

6 round, 1/2-inch thick slices eggplant, peeled
    1/4 cup egg substitute (I use the real deal)
    1/2 cup Italian Bread Crumbs (You can use WW and add
    Italian Seasoning)
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 cup tomato sauce (SF of course!)
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. basil
    5 ounces part skim-milk mozzarella cheesew, grated or sliced

Preheat over to 450 degrees. Using mallet, pound eggplant slices to 1/4-inch thickness. Dip eggplant slices in egg substitute, then in bread crumbs. Saute breaded eggplant in skillet sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray.

Place cooked eggplant in bottom of 10 x 10 baking dish. Top with tomato sauce, oregano and basil. Arrange cheese over top. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Finish browning cheese under broiler if necessary. Makes 6 servings.

Energy 140 calories
    Fat 5 grams
    Saturated Fat 3 grams
    Cholesterol 14 mg.
    Sodium 439mg
    Carbohydrate 16 grams
    Protein 9 grams

Exchages: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 starch
  • WALNUT AND GARLIC LINQUINE

4-5 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
    3 TBS olive oil
    12 oz. ww linguine
    1/2 tsp. salt

Heat olive oil, garlic and walnuts in large skillet over medium heat. Sir frequently until walnuts are lightly toasted; about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cook pasta; drain. Add hot pasta, parsley, salt, cheese and basil to walnut mixture; toss and serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
  • OVEN-FRIED SWEET POTATOES

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon grated orange rind
    1 small garlic clove, minced

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to coat. Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minues or until tender, turning the potato slices after 15 minutes.

Combine parsley, orange rind, and garlic in a small bowl; stir well. Sprinkle parsley mixture over sweet potato slices. Make 7 servings (servings size: 1/2 cup)
  • Agave Baked Chicken

4-5 servings

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Heat together just till blended:
    1 clove garlic
    2-4 T oil or melted butter
    ¼ C agave nectar
    ¼ C fresh lemon juice

Cut into serving pieces:
    1 3-lb. chicken

Place skin side down in a shallow baking pan, bake about 30 minutes. Turn, pour on sauce, bake about 20 minutes more (until tender), basting once or twice.

Note: You can bread the chicken with flour and paprika or fine crumbs if you like a more pronounced skin. You can also add soy sauce or sesame seeds to the sauce for a difference.
  • MARINATED FISH, ONIONS AND MUSHROOMS

1 Pounf Fish Fillets 1 lemon
    2 Packets Sweetner 2 T. Soy Sauce
    1/2 t. Sale 1/2 t. Oregano
    Dash Pepper 1/3 c. Onion, Sliced
    1/4 Pound Mushrooms, sliced

Thaw Fish if frozen. Grate Lemon, then extract Juice. In shallow bowl combine 1 t. Lemon Peel, Lemon Juice, and all remaining ingredients except vegetable. Marinate Fish, Onion, Mushrooms in Lemon/Soy mixture in refrigerator at least 2 hours or better yet overnight. Turning ocassionally.

Broil Fish 4" from heat 5 - 8 minutes or until Fish flakes easily with a fork. Heat Marinade, Onions and Mushrooms until liguid has almost cooked off. Serve fish topped with this mixture.

Makes 4 servings.

I always make double the marinade as we really like mushrooms and onions.
  • Fruit 'N Oat Scones
    1-1/2 cups Spelt Flour
    1 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar (I used the Sugar Twin Brown Sugar substiute)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
    1/2 cup dried fruit (I used 2 small fresh Apricots!)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar substitue, baking powder & salt. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in fruit. Add milk; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Using lightly floured roller or hands, roll out dough into circle about 9" [or sightly smaller than your pan], about 1/2 " thick. Using pizza cutter, cut dough into 12 wedges; separate slightly. combine 1 TBSp sgar & cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yields 12 scones

*Approximately 180 calories & 8 grams of fat per scone*

Original recipe using all purpose flour copied from The Pampered Chef, STONEWARE SENSATIONS
  • Eggplant Balls

These hearty, delicious eggplant morsels can be used as a replacement for meatballs, or they can be fried into patties and eaten like burgers.

Makes 6 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups eggplant
    1 tablespoon water
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup dried ww bread crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease a baking sheet.
    2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Pour in olive oil and saute garlic just until lightly browned. Mix in eggplant and water. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Allow eggplant to steam until soft, about 20 minutes. Place eggplant in a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
    3. Mix cheese, parsley, eggs, and bread crumbs into eggplant. Stir with a wooden spoon or your hands until ingredients are thoroughly combined and mixture can be rolled into balls. Add more bread crumbs as needed to make mixture workable. Refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes, then roll into balls or form into patties.
    4. Place eggplant balls on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
  • Salsas
    AVOCADO-SERRANO SALSA

2 Large avocados (about 1 lb.), peeled, pitted, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1 Roma tomato
    3 tbsp. minced red onion
    4 tsp. minced serrano chile, with seeds
    2 tsp. minced fresh cilantro
    1 1/2 tsp. salt

carefully fold all ingredients together in a mixing bowl

TRICOLOR SALSA

1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    4 tsp. minced serrano chile, with seeds
    1/3 cup La Carreta cilantro apple cider vinegar or other cider vingegar
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tbsp minced shallot
    2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 tsp. sugar (Splenda or other SF sweetener)
    1/4 tsp. salt

combine thoroughly.

Variation: add 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil

SALSA MEXICANA

2 tbsp finely diced white onion
    8 Roma tomatoes, diced
    2 serrano chiles, finely diced with seeds
    2 tbsp finely chopped fesh cilantro leaves
    1 tsp sugar (Splenda or other SF sweetener) I actually don't add the sugar at all
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    1 clove garlic

Place the onion in a strainer, rinse with hot water, and drain. Thoroughly combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Ad a little sweetener if the tomatoes are acidic, but make sure the salsa does not taste of sweetener. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mingle.
  • I like 3 or 4 Bean Salad, but all commercial ones I've seen have sugar. So I make a quickie kind of my own.

FOUR BEAN SALAD

1 can KIDNEY BEANS
    1 can CUT YELLOW WAX BEANS
    1 can CUT GREEN BEANS
    1 can CHICK PEAS
    1 Onion or more if you like onion.
    1/3 c. White Vinegar
    1 c. Water
    6 - 8 packets sweetener
    Couple of shakes of salt
    Couple of twists of fresh ground pepper
    Some granulated Garlic

Drain cans of all their juice and rinse well. Put into bowl.
    Slice onion and then quarter each slice. Or coarsely dice. Add to
    beans. Add seasonings and sweetener.

Mix enough vinegar and water to make enough liquid to cover
    beans. I use the proportions given, but usually double or triple it
    according to how much onion I use.

Mix well. Refrigerate several hours or overnight (best) for the
    flavors to blend. ENJOY!

I know recipes that call for pimentos or add oil or even cook
    vinegar mixture. But I like it this way!

I use this for a snack at times or in place of salad. If you're a person who believes vinegar helps with weight loss here's a way to get it!