Cruise question...

• I am going on a Carnival cruise to the Carribean with my family July 12th. I have been working out fairly consistently for about three months, but I have recommitted myself for the past month and I work out 5-7days a week sometimes twice a day. So.. my question is.. has anyone been on one of these cruises recently and if so how was the gym on board? Also were there healthy food options available?

While I plan on giving myself a vacation from work and school, I don't think it would be wise at this point in the game to stop working out for a week while being served lots of food. Can I plan on being able to get a good work out in or should I just plan on completely avoiding the buffets? I can't believe I am stressing out about my vacation like this!
  • Well, I've never been on a cruise (though I'd love to go!) but I've heard that in general cruises have lots of activities you can do, in addition to the gym (like swimming, hiking at ports, a rock climbing wall, etc). Maybe the carnival website has more info?
  • Hopefully if I stay busy with those activities and away from the buffet, I'll be ok.

I tried to do some investigating on their website but it just has one generic picture of someone working out.

I've just heard (even skinny) people say that they gained 10lbs on their cruise and I've worked TOO hard to lose 10lbs to do that much damage in such a short time.
  • Urgh! I just lost my post.

Lizzie- Remember a lot of people on vacation, especially skinny people, consider vacation freebie time and do not work out or pay attention to what they eat at all. Just keep up what you have been doing as close as possible and you will be fine. One not so perfect week will not ruin all your hard work.

Also I have found that I tend to eat less when on vacation in tropical places. For one thing it is just to hot to eat a lot. Plus, with all the tropical fruits available I eat them for breakfast and dessert a lot (Chocolate cake is just to heavy when you are sweating buckets) and fruit is cool refreshing and takes care of my sweet tooth. I have heard the trick to buffets is to not "sample" but stick to two-three food items. Also remember you control portions in that situtation, so load up on the veggies and take it easy on the pasta. A buffet isn't bad if you exercise a little control (which most people don't bother with) Think of it not as all you CAN eat but all you WANT to eat, which isn't to the point of stuffing yourself.

Most resort hotels- catering to vacationers not business travelers- I have been to tend to have had decent work out areas. I have also heard that some cruise ships have running/walking tracks around the decks. Even if not you could do laps around the deck without one. I think the important thing is to do something, just to stay in the work out habit. It might not be your best workout ever, but at least its a workout.

Also remember to drink lots of water! With all the heat, sun, and alcoholic drinks it is easy to get dehydrated and mistake thirst for hunger.
  • Thanks for the great advice you guys!
    I think I'm realizing that this is the hard part... implementing my healthy changes so that it is my LIFESTYLE and not my weight loss plan. It is easy to set up my life here to take away the tempations, but to be serious about being a healtheir person I am going to have to be able to control myself when I'm in situations that are a little harder.
  • i've been on carnival........ the gym on my ship was pretty good, not huge or anything but had all of your basic equipment. it wasn't that crowded when i went. i think there are also exercise classes scheduled for each day if you want to do that.

as far as the food... there is lots of it! if you want to eat healthy, you can. the menu in the main dining room, when i went, had a suggested meal if you were trying to eat healthy (healthy app, main dish, dessert). there was also a sushi station on the ship. so, it is definitely possible to eat healthy and exercise i'm sure you can do it!

also, you will probably be busy with excursions and having fun so i wouldnt worry too much about it. have a great time!!