The Zen of Cowness and the Nothingness of Moo

You're on Page 9 of 11
Go to
  • In my loyalty to Plain Jane I don't read Dooce. Jane doesn't care for Dooce because she goes on and on about her adorable child. I've never read Dooce, so I really don't know.

Since I didn't go to university, or college as we Yanks call it, my mother didn't go through all that you moms are. I simply moved out when they asked me for rent when I turned 18. I figured if I was paying rent, I wasn't about to have a parent telling me when my curfew was. I remember feeling a little bad that I was leaving my younger brother and sister in the middle of my parent's battlefield. Out of 6 kids, I was the only one my parents charged rent. In fact my younger brother lived with them until he was 34, rent free. Do you detect a note of bitterness???? Naaaaaahhh. Moving out at 18 was the best thing that ever happened to me. I bought my first house when I was 21 and have managed just fine ever since.

Kiwi, I'd be happy to send you a new insulated glass unit. You don't have to replace your whole window, just the sealed unit. See? I know a thing or two about a thing or two. Of course, I have a fogged window at my house too. Just hasn't made it on the job schedule. You know what they say about the shoemaker's children...

No one has mentioned Father's Day doings. My DH must be right - he say's Mother's Day has Father's Day beat. All the hype is for Mom's Day and all the husbands know they'd better not forget it. Heee. He may be right. Actually he had a nice Day... gifts and cards from the kiddos, bbq ribs and yummy dinner from the wife, and no one asked him for any favors or money all day. The weekend was a big eatathon for me. Friday night we went out w/ friends, Saturday I went shopping and out to lunch w/ gal friend, Saturday night we went to a bbq at some other friends, plus the Father's day food extravaganza. I been baaaaad.

I've been working on a headache for a couple days --- think I'll go down a couple more Advil.
  • Quote: So glad that I am not encourage a variation of the "Eggplant that ate Chicago" in my backyard... (do you all remember that phrase?!! Was it a movie title, a song, or what....)
    Believe it or not.

Ah, Plain Jane or Dooce. No contest for me. I read both, but I read Dooce every day and I read Jane when I get around to it. Jane is funny and smart, Dooce is funny and smart. Jane is mean-spirited and doesn't recycle; Dooce is full of love and generosity.

Father's Day vs Mother's Day -- well, let's see, I got a hallmark book/card signed by DH and DD, packed in my suitcase that I discovered in Charleston. DH got a shirt that DD and I picked out together. Both involved forethought, but not a lot of commitment, but he got the better gift. Can you tell I'm feeling cynical?

Kiwi
  • Why do I not read Jane as mean spirited???? I just think she's honest and she makes me laugh. I her.

Apparently the "procedure" I had done didn't work. I had to run home to change my clothes. Aunt Flo is vicious. Wonder if I can get a refund of my co-pay?

Kiwi, did you read The Mermaid Chair? Was it good? Should I go buy it? I just finished The Life of Pi. I highly recommend it. Didn't think I'd like it but I did.
  • I was trying to think of examples of Jane being mean, but I really couldn't think of any. I agree she is screamingly funny sometimes. She just rubs me the wrong way now and then.

Did they tell you you were done with Aunt Flo? What a bummer!!! Malpractice Malpractice

I started The Mermaid Chair, but I haven't gotten into it very far. I keep starting new books. I must have about a dozen partially read. Maybe I have Attention Deficit Disorder.

Well, I did a couple of chores this afternoon. Still haven't been outside. It is beautiful and sunny out. Really must go out and enjoy it.

Kiwi
  • I didn't like or finish The Chair but I bought it because Wabby said we'd have a book discussion group so I feel she ShOULD read it.

When I read Jane, it bothered me that she talked so openly about her son's problems.

Mine is in Minnesota. They say he's having fun.
  • Still haven't talked to him, Peaches? DH had to go down to the coast today for a meeting and he called on his way back to see if I thought he should drop by Girls State where DD is, to drop off a document they needed for a scholarship application she submitted to them. Gee, you don't think he misses his little girl or anything? She'll be not thrilled to see a parental unit, I'll bet.

What did you not like about Chair?

Kiwi
  • They won't let the kids use the phone. He COULD"VE called from the airport but that was his last chance. They did call all the parents today to let them know the kids arrived and are having fun. Everyone is having fun. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Mermaid Chair .. didn't like the voice. Stuffy to me. Talked down to reader? Didn't care about or like the narrator. Did enjoy the ONE chapter (before I gave up) that did not involve the narrator/main character but realizing that, put it down forever.
  • Well now I have to read it. Then we can discuss it. Or you could all read The Life of Pi. Did I tell you it was good? Since Peach has been on the organized religion subject lately, we could read The Red Tent. It's supposed to be good and it's been around long enough that you could get it from the library.

What I like about Jane is that you can tell that 1. her kids drive her crazy. and 2. She so poignantly describes her love for them that it can bring me to tears. I've had children who have not been easy. I know how screamingly crazy it can make a person. I admire Jane for being able to admit how difficult it can be. She doesn't sugar coat it.

mmmm. sugar coating. I'm hungry.
  • Wabbit, you make me laugh.

How very odd that the camp called all the parents. That one I've never heard of. Some places let kids call home and some places don't, but calling home for them is a new one. I suppose he can write letters? About as well as DD can... I gave her a prepaid phone card--she's in a college dorm, so I know there are pay phones, but like I said, I'm not holding my breath. She will be having an interesting week, I feel sure. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Girls/Boys State programs, but they have them in every state. The whole idea is for all the girls to learn about government by forming their own. They are divided into towns (each wing of the dorm is a town) with dorky names like "Happiness" and "Charity" and they are also assigned one of 3 party affiliations. I think the parties are Federalists, Populists and .... hmm I don't remember. They run for office and hold an election for positions from local things to governor, and then run a legislature and courts. All this in 5 days. It must be a miracle of organization. The other thing is that it's all sponsored by American Legion chapters and other local organizations -- completely free for the kids! When we registered, DD got a big packet of information with schedules, rules, words for the daily singalongs. When we checked in at the dorm, they gave her a key, and ID on a lanyard, a name tag, and a water bottle. We arrived on her floor, they gave her a sheet of poster paper on which she was supposed to make a sign for her door indicating a store or business, so that the hall will look like a town street. And that was in the first hour. That night they were going to hear from one of Maine's senators and tomorrow I think it is, the governor of Maine is speaking.

Sounds exhausting, doesn't it? Maybe DD will be elected something funky. I suggested she run for czar.

I had lovely packet chicken for dinner tonight. Marinated in garlic/shallot/lemon,OO,oregano, baked in foil with potatoes, green beans, mushroom and onions. La de da it was good.

Kiwi
  • Yo
    Yes, yes! I can contribute to the literary conversation - I have read The Red Tent and I LOVED it. Beautifully written and you learn so much. That's all.

Packet chicken sounds divine.

SO glad that Peachy's ds is safe and sound. Our ds12 is going off to camp for two weeks when school is out.

I like both Jane and dooce (and the other 57,000 blogs I MUST read every day) but I got a bit bored with dooce there for a while and only check in sporadically. She's a brilliant writer, though. Jane makes me spit my tea all over my keyboard sometimes. OK, most of the time.

Did Leslie again yesterday. That's three times since Saturday. My legs feel firmer but the rest of me is still jiggling. Bleh. Wabby - do you think that Adria chick in the back on the 3-mile-walk got that six-pack from Walking Away the Pounds?
  • What is DD's store?

What is the red tent?

What is OO?

When military people go to the chapel and put money in the collection plate, what happens to that money since the military pays all the bills?

Has anyone tried the Zone diet?

What kind of camp is Sugarboy going to?

What kind of person would restrict their 23-year-old engineer son to one hour of internet a week? (my boss)

I love my pink earrings.
  • I have big news. Huge news. Exciting news.

I'm going to be a Grandma. DS will be the papa. And yes, we're all ecstatic. No, it wasn't planned, but he couldn't have picked a nicer girl to be the mama. Yes, they're getting married asap. Yes, they're looking at houses to buy starting this weekend. No, this doesn't make me feel old - it makes me feel lucky.
  • WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
    GRANDMA WABBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!
    It's our first grandbaby.
    How totally cool will that be!!

I'm very excited for you (duh). DH's nephew is doing the same thing; getting married in August, having a baby the next day or something. I think they're even about the same age, graduated h.s. about 5 years ago?

Quote: What is DD's store?
    What is the red tent?
    What is OO?
    When military people go to the chapel and put money in the collection plate, what happens to that money since the military pays all the bills?
    Has anyone tried the Zone diet?
    What kind of camp is Sugarboy going to?
    What kind of person would restrict their 23-year-old engineer son to one hour of internet a week? (my boss)
    I love my pink earrings.
    1. I would not know, not having heard from the Darling D, as predicted. Perhaps I will find out on Friday at "Graduation"
    2. In the Holy Land -- This is a must read -- I have a copy of it; it belongs to my mother, but if you want to read it, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you borrowed it
    3. Olive Oil. I was too lazy to type it out.
    4. I know nothing
    5. No
    6. I would like to know too -- my bet is he's going to good old German outdoorsy camp where he will hike and take in lots of fresh air
    7. A controlling clingy person
    8. That's nice.
    La. It's 2pm and I've done nada today. Toodles.

Kiwi
  • And yay to Sugar for Leslie-walking. I went on a bike ride yesterday (almost killed me)
  • He's 22. She's (gulp) 19, will be 20 when baby arrives. They are in luuuuuuv. Crazy about each other, good to each other, I think they'll do fine.