Alternachicks at the movies

You're on Page 4 of 11
Go to
  • I saw the new Harry Potter and really enjoyed it. Funny, I haven't read any of the books but have seen all the movies

I am looking forward to seeing The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe next
  • Mauvais-It WAS good!! I "take my kid" and have read ALL the books...have to keep up on my kids' interests DON'T CHA KNOW!!! I also want to see "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." I LOVE the whole Narnia series! (Can you tell I like fantasy?!?)

Maggie-My sister and I used to watch "White Christmas together just so we could sing the "sisters" song! (complete with whacking each other) I should get her a copy of that...

Another good Christmas film..."Comfort and Joy."
  • Hey Mauv - I watched the first 3 HP movies then decided to read the books - so worth it - you get a bit more detail in the books and they read so easy - and as harry ages so does the reading level of the books - #4 Goblet of Fire was twice as thick as #3 Askaban.

I am dying to see Narnia and will probably make the trip to Roseburg to see it when I am on vacation at the end of the month. I read all 7 books when I was in Grade school or JR Hi and I still have them somewhere.

My favorite Christmas movies are Miracle on 34th street (either the orig or the remake) and A Christmas Story - I don't care how many times I here "You'll shoot your out" chanted tauntingly - I still laugh.

I also really like The SANTA Clause and and Dolly Partons Smokey Mt Christmas with Lee Majors - orphans, a witch and a cabin in the woods - I love it.
  • ooh, favorite xmas movies.. i love Mixed Nuts and Trains Planes and Automobiles. Also love Meet Me in St Louis, which is sort of Christmasy I think. And there is an old one I don't remember, with singing and dancing, where they are snowed in at some kind of inn?? i don't remember what it's called.
  • My favorite "Christmas" movie is the Nightmare Before Christmas. I also like a few of the sappy Hallmark movies - Saint Maybe and also A Season For Miracles.
  • Maggie - yes I have watched that show - it's great!

DH is dying to see the remake of King Kong but I'm not really that interested
  • i feel the same way about king kong. and aeon flux. there are just too many good movies out right now... and i don't have the $$ to see them all. Poor me. *L*
  • Brokeback Mountain
    Heath Ledger - unique storyline - OMG! Is it getting hot in here?

That is all I am saying...look it up on AOL Movies or Entertainment Weekly.

*phew* Is the heat on?

No I havent seen this movie but after reading the article I really really really want to see it.

• i really a lot want to see it too. assuming you are talking about brokeback mountain.. the one with him and jake gyllenhaal.. and not the cassanova one. *L* although... i'd probably watch that one too now that i think of it.

We watched Unleashed last night. It was interesting, I'd never seen a Jet Li movie and now I have. No need to see any others, right? *LOL* Seriously though, it had some very amusing parts and the fight sequences - while seeming out of place for the movie - were shot excellently.
  • Quote: And there is an old one I don't remember, with singing and dancing, where they are snowed in at some kind of inn?? i don't remember what it's called.
    Sounds like "White Christmas" maybe? 1954, with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney?
  • Had a movie fest on Saturday!

Speed 2 - terrible - not even Willem Dafoe could save this film
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - loved it!
    The LadyKillers - kind of slow but okay...
    Minority Report - Excellent!

Watched the Muppet Christmas Carol while putting up the tree last night - what a fun little movie!
  • OMG, I have SUCH a bad memory of seeing The Minority Report! I was at the mall with two friends and we decided, unfortunately, to eat at the Chinese takeout stand. I had some chicken thing that was making my stomach gurgle. We went to the theater, which was packed, so we had to sit in the second row. The huge screen was right on top of us. Then a relatively large man took the seat next to me, which would have been fine except that the way he was sort of twisted in his seat made him be half sitting on me. Well, his butt cheek was resting on my thigh. It's not that he didn't fit in the seat, but he was twisted strangely. I couldn't figure out why. Then about a quarter into the film, I realized why: He has a huge bucket of fried chicken in the seat next to him and was eating it during the film. Well... between the jarring action on the screen, which was in my face because of where I was sitting; the smell of the chicken; my already upset stomach from the chicken I had eaten; and this man sitting on me ... I actually had to run from the theater and throw up. I made it to the bathroom, but when I went back to my seat, I felt ill all over again, so I just shopped while my friends watched the film. LOL -- if I live to be a hundred, that will be the only association I have with that film!
  • Ack! That's some story!

We watched some dementedly funny action film called Tonga Ninja on Saturday - hysterical!
  • Narnia
    Ok - I want to know who has seen Narnia - was it half as good as it looks and have you read the book so you know if they were true to the story?

Also - I read all 7 chronicles and I still dont know how they get a Christian spin out of it, must be because I was not into religion when I was a teen and didnt catch the comparison.

I need to find those books and read them now before I see the movie next week I hope. Maybe this Friday.
  • Ajand - apparently Aslan is supposed to be God and I suppose there is the whole good and evil thing goning on. Not being of that persuasion myself - I never look at things that way. Some one said there was not much substance to the movie but dunno have not seen it yet. I wonder if there will be comparisons to LOTR?

I think the problem is with this as with LOTR a lot of people reading the books have a fixed idea of who the characters would look like. My Aunt and my Sister in Law wouldn't look at it for ages because they thought it would 'spoil' it for them. I like what I have seen in excerpts - especially Mr Tumnus!