Movin' And Losin' Part 17

You're on Page 14 of 37
Go to
  • RE: Beautiful Saturday Summer Morning...!!!!

Good Saturday Morning Movers and Losers...!!!

What an absolutely stunning, beautiful summer morning. I hope each of you have the same weather, it is incredible. Our temps will be in the upper 80's today and humidity in the low 20% which is heaven on earth - in my humble opinion!

I went to see the new movie release "Must Love Dogs" for the late show last evening. It was a good movie, but to be honest, not as good as I thought it would be. I would say go see it, but parts of it were a real stretch for me, but hey - it was a movie and that is what they do.

A teacher friend lost his Mother a week ago Tuesday. He telephoned about 45 minutes before the movie was going to start. I spoke with him right up until I had to go inside for the movie. I don't think he realized I had said I was on my way out. Anyway, he was the youngest of 3 sons, and for the 8 years he has been teaching she has telephoned him in the AM to say good morning and make sure he is on his way. I know it took a lot for him to tell me that, and my heart goes out to him. I want to do something extra nice for him, and am still thinking, thinking, thinking... I know I'll see him toward the end of the week when he attends a training at our school. He lives in the next town about 20 miles.

I have some type of beetle bugs that are attacking/eating one of my 3 canna plants? So, I need to quickly find some type of product to protect it. They are eating the large leaves, and aggressively.

Here is an interesting recipe for 2 of my favorites, asparagus and avocadoes.

Grilled Asparagus Spears with Guacamole

What You'll Need
    grilled asparagus:
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    _ (one half) teaspoon sea salt
    juice of 1 lemon
    20 asparagus spears

guacamole:
    3 ripe avocados, halved, seeded
    _ (one half) fresh jalapeno, finely minced
    1 clove fresh garlic, finely minced
    _ (one quarter) red onion, finely diced
    1/3 (one third) cup extra virgin olive oil
    sea salt
    juice of one half lemon
    1 small vine ripened tomato, diced
    2 sprigs fresh cilantro, finely minced

Instructions

Fire up the grill about 10 minutes before you are ready to cook. Medium heat will serve best for this dish. I use my George Foreman!

Mix together the oil, salt and lemon juice, whisking to emulsify. Using your fingers, rub each asparagus spear with the mixture, coating them very well. Lay the asparagus on the wire grate and grill, turning occasionally, until browned at the edges and slightly wilted, about 5-6 minutes total.

Make the guacamole by mashing the avocado flesh until smooth. Mix in the balance of ingredients, adjusting the seasoning to your taste. Cover and chill completely.

To serve, place the guacamole in a bowl in the center of a serving platter with the grilled asparagus spears around the rim. Serve immediately. .

Makes 4-6 servings.

You certainly could serve tortilla chips and salsa with this, and just remember you are including a veggie in a new way. The new dietary recommendations say more veggies are a good thing.

I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend...!
  • Lets get the news (good/ bad/ indifferent) out of the way first.

Weight - 73/ 73 - Same
    Upper Chest - 37.5/ 37 - down .5inch
    Bust - 41.5/ 40 - down 1.5inch
    Lower Chest 34.25/ 34.25 - same
    Waist - 33/ 32 - down 1.inch
    Upper Hip - 38.5/ 38 - down .5 inch
    Lower Hip - 39.25/ 39 - down .25 inch
    Top of arm - 12.5/ 12.25 - down .25 inch
    Top of leg - 21.5/ 21 - down .5 inch.

There it is out. Happy? well not really. I really thought I had done better this month. Although most of it is down so I should not really complain. Sometimes it just seems that I do a lot of hard work for so little results. Still I know I haven't been good on the water. I know I have skipped a meal or two that I really should have had and I know that I had a bit of a chocolate binge there in the middle somewhere. At one stage the weight was back at 71.5 and is now at 73. Can't blame it all on water!

I don't normally eat chocolate - in fact I really don't like it that much, however once in a while I will go on a chocolate binge where I really must have chocolate. Have no idea why or what triggers it off. Sometimes I can go for years without it, sometimes I just have to eat it.

It is still too dewy out there to go wake up the neighbours with the lawnmower so I will take the spade and go dig over the front garden bed by the fence. That is right after breakfast and trip to the shop to get the paper. I was going to go to the markets up at Forest Lake today, but I feel energetic enough to do some gardening. The markets can wait for another Sunday.

Anyway - seize the day before it gets too hot and sunny. Let's go.
  • Shad--you did better than I--no change at all the last 3 weeks. Today I started a different yoga approach aimed specifically at weight loss. And took dog for a long walk. Still, there is always that feeling that I planned to do so much more.

Also my printer is out of black ink. I asked DH--neither of us feels up to changing it--last time I did it broke the printer. So must wait until one of the kids comes over.
  • Made the decision
    It’s taken a while and a bit of soul searching but I have finally decided to carry on and extend my contract at the Ministry of Funny Walks aka OSR.

I had at first decided not to, and up to a few days ago was sticking with that decision. However I’ve been checking out the available work and there isn’t an awful lot of it around and that which is there is not paying the sort of money I’m getting here. So............. here I stay for the next 5 months or so.

Thanks for the comments re the weight for the month. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth trying to get this weight off, but there is simply no way I can give up now, I’ve come too far and been through too much. Besides which who would Madcat have to annoy and be annoyed with if I gave up. I’m trying to work out what to do this month which may shift the final kilos from this butt and gut and tummy. Not that the butt is big, but it is flabby.

Today my DS2’s christmas and birthday present arrived. What !!!! Well he asked for a chest of drawers made of timber not the cheaper veneered MDF/ chipboard and I said I would look for something and check it out with him. However he didn’t go and have a look at my choices - too busy Mum so finally on Saturday I took the plunge, paid for it and had it delivered. He liked it. At least I think he did - maybe it was only an impression that I got. But anyway he has got it now and is putting in orders for Christmas this year. Unbeknowns to him, I have already got part of his Chrissy pressy - the goofy part. Every year I try to get them something that is totally ridiculous - last year he got a singing bottle opener and stubby holder and a few other gimmicky things relating to his footy team. This year I have found a seat pad (no it doesn’t sing) and a dressed teddy bear. I’m sure I will find a couple of other goodies before Christmas strikes as well. Now all I have to do is find something for the older one (whose sense of humour doesn’t run to footy paraphenalia) - maybe crutchless bike knickers or something equally stupid.

So no gym tonight. I’ve been feeling so worn out lately that I am going to cut the gym back to 4 sessions per week for a while and carry on with the walking at lunch time (I can do 4k in my lunch break and the scenery is superb). I may still do a double on Saturday morning - we will see.

And that is about it for today. Clean the bathroom, do the dishes and the ironing and that’s about me for tonight. I'll catch up with your posts tomorrow.
  • RE: Good Monday Morning - Girlfirends...!!!

Hey Everyone!

What a beautiful weekend here in central Kentucky. Temperatures were in the upper 80's and humidity remains low. Such is the good life!

I finally rented a few movies. I took back Sharktale and Napeleon Dynamite I had rented for my nephews, and rented The Notebook and Milliondollar Baby. The baby movie was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is a must see. The Notebook was good, but I had already heard so much about it, I think that took some of the zing out of it. It was good, don't get me wrong, but not like the build up I had heard so much about.

Today I am going in to finish final touches for the freshman transitional program which begins tomorrow. One of the teachers I had scheduled to teach came in late Friday saying he had just signed a contract for a job in another county, with a promotion to an administration job. I say good for him, and he was helpful in finding a 'quick' replacement that called me last night saying he could teach the 3 days this week. Whew...!

Nita: Good for you staying busy during this heat wave. I know last week when it was hot here, I wanted to go under and stay cool. Can you tell me some about your health insurance coverage and the execise benefits? I have long argued with my doctor (wrong person I know) about the beneifits of wellness coverage for folks like me that are ticking time bombs if we don't lose some serious weight. Our industry is long over due to look at the benefits of preventative options - such as exercise and medically supervised weight loss programs. Errr.... Don't get me started. I take my own personal responsibility, but professional help would greatly benefit many of us.

OneDay: How is Blackie doing? I hope the meds and kennel rest are helpful. My last dog went through that and did just fine. It helped that there were no others in my home - so no distractions - and he rested as he needed to. I think Rocky has a serious case of allergies. He is just 2 years old, and this is a fist sign. I think I will call this afternoon for an appointment tomorrow for him. He is also due for the heart worm treatment. You know, I never gave that to my last Yorkie, and he did just fine. If the dog is a house dog, and not outside that much (exposed to mosquitoes which transmit the heart worm) I think why put the dog through yet another medication? We shall see what I end up doing with Rocky. He is a different dog, and I may make a different decision. Who knows now!

Shad: GREAT job on your body measurements, and continued exercise! You are motivating me, and that is very much appreciated. The chest of drawers sounds really nice. Your son will have it for a generation, to be shared with more - wild huh? I feel very tired lots also, and I know it is a combination of my age and body size. I would love to have my old energy level back. I remember my doctor telling me not to 'jump outta bed' while I was on the medically supervised fast (15 years ago). I did just that, I was so energetic I did jump outta bed. Now I sit a few minutes and comtemplate walking to flip the switch for some java!!! THANKS for the flower pics!

Mooz: I hope this finds you doing well and enjoying those beautiful flowers all around your home!

Thin: Where are you? LOL...!!!

CatLover: It sounds like you are getting fairly regular exercise, you mentioned yoga. I agree with you, a class would be the best way to try to learn it. I saw a program last night with 109 degree temps and yoga. That does not sound relaxing to me. Don't be afraid to change the computer printer cartridge. Chances are the old printer was ready to break when it did anyway - they tend to simply break with little notice.

Here is a breakfast recipe, what a better way to begin a summer Saturday or Sunday?

Banana Three-Grain Pancakes

Ingredients

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 cup white all-purpose flour
    3 Tbsp uncooked cornmeal
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
    1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    2 medium egg white(s)
    1 large banana(s), diced

6 Tbsp maple syrup (I use sugar free)
    2 1/2 tsp sugar (I use splenda)
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, to mix in with 2 1/2 tsp sugar

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Let cool. This gives them a nutty flavor as well as adds a crunch texture to them.

In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup of oats, flour, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Process until oats are finely ground.

In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, applesauce and oil.

In a small bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.

Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined. Add banana to batter, then fold in egg whites until just combined.

Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

Pour batter onto griddle by 1/4-cup measures. Sprinkle each with about 1 teaspoon of oats. Cook just until bubbles begin to appear at edge of pancakes, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and cook 2 minutes longer.

Repeat with remaining batter and oats. You may have some left over.

Serve hot, topped with maple syrup and combined cinnamon-sugar.

*You can skip the stiff egg white part and just add them in, but the final pancake will not be as light and fluffy. To me, it is worth the extra few minutes and bowl to wash - you decide!

Well time for a spin on the stationary bike, yes you read this correctly, and then get to school. It will be a busy day! All the best girls!! Or girlfirends!
  • Hal--
    Yes, those 109 degree temp yoga I think are just trying to be macho. I also hear the instructors are not trained to look out for those it could be very dangerous for. I've had people ask me what yoga tape to start with,a nd I say it really is best to take a class. Afterwards you might go on by yourself.

As far as a health club, we have help with fees from our job--not through the health insurance (that way it's available to people who don't have health insurance) but for all employees.

Re the heart worm medicine--I would check with the vet. I think there is a balance of cost/benefit, but if you live in an area where the heartworm is common, then it's best to give it even if the dog is indoors. (We know skeeters do get in.)

My son changed my printer cartridge. I suppose I must learn some time.

So--I am off to get my hearing aid! Really looking forward to it.
  • Hello Ladies,

Had a wonderful late party for my niece's graduation (high school). She'll be heading for a Jr. college in San Antonio in a couple of weeks. Of course I was stressed about everything going right and having a good showup. She was very appreciative of me having her party at my house. Of course I ate way to much. My mom makes the best macroni salad. I could probably eat 1/2 of it myself. Luckily my nephew was spending the night so he helped with the cleaning up the patio, stacking the chairs etc. Now I think i'm coming down with a sinus infection. My ear is starting to hurt. Going to try and make a dr. appointment tomorrow.

Hal - oh it's been hot here. I think we're due for some 100 degree weather this week. Blackie is feeling much better. Of course he's on pain medication. In fact earlier he came flying into the living room and jumped over two cushion pillows and landed on the couch, acting as if I didn't see him. What am I to do? He doesn't understand why he's feeling so much better. I loved Million dollar baby... didn't expect the ending... I thinking it won many Oscar's.

Shad - I keep saying on going to start exercising and haven't started yet. But here it is August. You have don't great on your loss. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's a loss. Keep up the good work. OH and what beautiful orchids.

Cat - I too am not very good with fixing computer or printers. I think I would like like to take up yoga. Work is getting very stressful and I think it would benefit me to stretch and relax. Maybe I need to sign up for a meditation class.

Nita, Thin, Mooz - Hope your doing well.
    Mitchelez - Drop us a line.
  • Bored, Bored, Bored
    Just one day after agreeing to extend the contract I am bored. I have work to do, it is fixing some stuff done by another trainer, who has now left and I am not sure of all the ins and outs of what happens if I change this or that and I need to make sure all the composition and steps are in the right place. There doesn't seem to be anyone who knows anything to help me. I don't mind re recording the thing, but I need to know why it has to be done and what I have to do to avoid the same mistakes again. Is this too much to ask for???

So I sit here drinking coffee and getting more and more annoyed with it all. This has more or less happened to everything I started out to do today. Why did I bother to get out of bed??

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.

Not much going on here at the moment. I forgot my pass this morning so have to be let in and out of the building if I want to go anywhere. So silly of me. Sometimes I wonder where my memory went. Other times I get really worried about forgetting things. When your Mother had Alzheimers, you really get paranoic about forgetting things particularly as one gets older.

Dull grey day out there. It would be nice to get some rain, but somehow I don't think it is going to happen. We really, really need rain. Last weekend I cleared out a much neglected garden bed in the front of the house and transplanted some bits and pieces from elsewhere into it. I have to go out and water the plants each night otherwise they will just shrivel up on me. I had some snowflake bushes which had self seeded and were growing on top of one another and also so bird of paradise plants being strangled by jasmine and an old rose bush about to bloom it's last before being overtaken by weeds. They are all now residing in the clean and tidy bed. This weekend I will need to get out and mulch the garden to keep in moisture and prevent the weeds from growing again. I also have to tidy up around the big tree because I see some horrible weeds appearing there as well.

Gym tonight - it's weights time again. Once I get there I am generally okay with it all. Sometimes just getting there is a gigantic effort with lots of self talk and encouragement. I know how hard it is to get started on exercise, but it really is worthwhile. Whether it is gym, riding a bike, walking or doing videos from home - just do it. 45 minutes 4 times a week. It's not too much to ask out of your time is it? And the benefits are great
    - you don't have to watch how much you eat so closely, you can eat more!
    - you feel more energetic and are more inclined to do something - that is when you've built up the stamina somewhat
    - you sleep better and deeper - less chances of hearing those crazy things that go bump in the night
    - it becomes a habit and a fix. You find you really need to go do it.

So ladies, no excuses. Just do it!!!

Gotta run.
  • Mornin' Chicks~~
    We've gotten the heat and humidity back again. Can't say summer passed us by this year! It is just plain sticky out there already this morn. I am going to go in to town early and get a few bills paid and things and get back out here to swim i hope. Tho a thunderstorm is predicted for 'later on' today. Whatever that means.

DH and I worked very hard Sun eve to get some grass seed down over the new septic/drainfield. Then the straw went on top. Rain was a possiblility, but like only 30% chance. Well, about 11 it started thundering and lightning, this went on big time. And the rains came down in buckets, so now we have to wonder if any seed stayed put? The straw mostly did stay so hopefully we start sprouting something. Actually it should be a little cooler, so will the heat slow it down also? I hope it's o.k.

~~HALGAL~~ thanks for the neat sounding recipes. I also just love avacado and asparagus We have the same tastes in food don't we? LOL
    I know you love to think of me and the red bell peppers in the same sentence now
    Did you get an email or PM from me? i did send it both ways cause some of my letters to people w/aol don't go thru for some reason.

~~SHAD~~ hope things get less boring at work. What is it you do again?
    Keep up the good work w/your gym exercises and your house yard work. that is also very good for us they say--Gardening anyway! And it's a stress reliever too. I have only pansies --really jonny jumpups from prev. years, they just come back on their own, and then something (now i've forgotten what i planted) from last year that didn't come up, but this year they finally did. Tall with just a feathery purple plume for a bloom at the top. Maybe a picture later so someone can tell me what i planted! YIKES

~~1DAY~~ glad Blackie is feeling better,but like you said it's a catch 22 with the pain meds. Then the pet thinks they can do all that crazy stuff again! I remember it well.
    The party sounds like it was alot of fun, and good that your niece appreciated you having it at your place!
    Hope the doc can see you and get that ear infection under control quickly. They are very painful.

~~CAT~~ i too, don't see any point in that 100 plus degree yoga class. Esp. if they aren't able to see when people need assistance! Heat stroke is a very serious thing.
    Got to keep the sport drink handy today to put back what a person sweats out! Muggy seems to be the word of the day here. I loved it when it was 70 there for awhile! Oh well, weather is one thing not under our control. But i certainly can't do my walks in this stuff. I will try to swim tho.

Hi to all the rest of the chicksters... thinlizzie
  • Hello Ladies,

Doctor was able to get me in today. Put me on antibotics and another prescription. Hope it kicks in fast. He also wants to draw some blood so i'm stopping by in the morning. (have to fast)

Shad - you are so right. I just need to do it. I am... i'm ready.. i'm on meds so i'm going to just do light walking, but more walking than in a normal day. (make sense) My brother was taking pictures this weekend and I was just dreading him taking them of me.

Thin - Blackie is feeling much better. I think a little to good. Wish we would get some of the rains down here. In fact i think i'm going to run out and set the water on. Our high today was 101. Nothing like where Nita is at. Hope the rains didn't wash all the seeds away.

• I think that about sums up how I feel. And it's not work this time.

I came home last night and collapsed in the chair, woke up some hours later and as per normal nothing got done. I really have to do something about this.

It's to do with gym late in the afternoon. I was trying to work out why, when at gym the other day, I got through a workout really easily on the Wednesday I had off last week, but couldn't manage the same one after work.
    It is to do with this day fowl, night owl thing.
    It to do with food and water.
    It's to do with living life as I do.

So it is time to take stock and work out a new plan. New and different food too, since I am becoming bored with just about everything at the moment and really can't be bothered about food when I get home at night.

My plan at the moment is to not go back to the gym until next week. I think I will possibly go to the other gym for the cardio type stuff which is the stuff that gives me problems in the afternoon. This other one opens at 5.30am and is closer to town which means I can work out and still get to work on time. My normal one doesn't open until 6. and I still need an hour or so to get to the station and get the train to the city.

I may stay where I am for the weights which don't worry me so much in the afternoon and........
    I will work out some menu plans which involve hot food for lunch. Salads are just not cutting right now. I think I will look at Happy's approach and venture into some hearty soups and maybe a frittata or too. Something I can warm up which will stop me from going downstairs to the cafe and buying things like fish cakes and roasted drumsticks (nice and all as they are).

Meantime, I will go home at night, snuggle with the cat and wait for warmer weather to arrive. It may be the lack of blubber on me right now, but this is the first winter ever I have felt the cold like this. This morning was so hard to get out of bed.

Anyway, that's my moan for the day.
  • HI~
    Just read your post SHAD~~ and i do believe it's your wt.loss making you feel so cold. I remember when i lost my near 40# (and that year we did not have a summer like this one) so i found it very difficult to jump in the lake and swim. It is a spring fed deep water lake so never real warm. this summer must be some kind of record, more weeds growing in it than ever! It definetly is a different body that we have when we lose the poundage

And going for a whole new plan sounds great. YGG! The mediterranean (sp?) diet is one to keep you eating alot of proteins and good things. Olive oil, almonds, raspberries, blueberries. I think CAT just wrote about it recently. You can look it up online. The warms soups and fritattas sound great too! Let us know what you end up with.

Where do you work SHAD??

Talk more to all you great chicks later...
    thinlizzie

• Dancing away the winter blues.

Mel is probably right - I have the winter blues. It's an interesting phenomenom over here. The nights are cold - we have got down as far as 4C (about 38F) but the days are reasonably warm - at least they are if you can get out of the August winds and generally it is clear sky and sunshine all the way with no humidity (and few flies). So the days are fine. It's the nights that cause problems for me (apart from being tired that is) and the fact that it is dark by around 1800 and doesn't get light until 0600. So daylight fades and so does this day fowl. Add to that the fact that the house doesn't have much in the way of flooring and fabrics so it gets cool quickly. I really will have to get cracking on fixing the place up and getting the new furnishings in to make life better.

Sorted through a stack of recipe books last night for soups and stuff that I can bring to work and re heat. LindaT from the journals has some good recipes for lunches too. She wants me to try her pumpkin chilli!!! I'll go check it out shortly. A great many of the recipes I have will need playing around with to get the calorie and fat content down. Some of these grannies made great soups in vast quantities but eggs, cream and salt seem to have featured in a great many of them. I can remember my own grandmothers soup pot on the back of the stove. Anything and everything went into it. It was hot, instantaneous and nourishing. I can remember times when I was in bed sick and my mother would bring me some soup into which she had dropped an egg. The egg gently coddled away with the heat from the soup and the whites set but the yolk was runny. Yummmy. Sometimes I'd like to go backwards through my life. I would give a lot for some of either Mum's or Nana's soup right now.

I thought about vitamins and things. I really do loathe taking tablets, but I took a trip to the chemist and got some multivitamin tablets for the short term (sure as hades, I'll forget them after a short time). They know how to charge for those things as well. Have to save up if I want to buy any more later.

Lizzie, I work for myself. I contract out to companies putting in new computer systems - big ones. I train the workers on how to use their new system and how to adjust to the changes. Mostly I work with SAP but I have used JDEdwards (Peoplesoft) and Baan. And I'm qualified to teach Microsoft as well. Well at least I was. I haven't upgraded to XP certified yet. At the moment I am working for the Office of State Revenue (Queensland Government). Normally I work for private companies which I much prefer. Wheels of Government grind too slow for me. I like to get busy, get involved and get out. However this is the best paying contract I've had in a while and I do need the money if I am to go on a round the world trip next year as well as get the house renovated and save for a new kitchen and some building work to be done.

Anyway. I better go clean the bathroom and fold the washing. Have a good day. Tomorrow is Friday and I'm really grateful for that.
  • Hello Ladies,

Feeling much better today. I guess my meds have kicked in. There's still a little pressure in my ear, but not as much as before. Looking forward to weekend where I just just rest and relax.

Shad - I'm with you I need sunshine. I notice that in the winter I too get the blues. I thought about buying one of those lamps but don't know if they really work. I keep forgetting where you are at it's winter time. Wish you could send us some of your cold weather.
  • Just to kick us back up to the top!