2 days on the diet

• Hi!
    I started the south beach diet on Monday, and am now panicking....would like some support:
    1. So I hear stories about people losing a tremendous amount of weight in Phase 1, well, I've been on phase 1 for 2 days and not a pound lost....is that normal?? Also, I'm feeling incredibly tired and kind-of phased out (just a little, nothing serious)
    2. Stupid question: can I eat boiled chickpeas in Phase 1 (like a chickpea salad???)
    Would appreciate help from some south beach veterans
  • Hey! Yes you can have chickpeas on Phase I. Losing weight in the first two days is not likely or necessary. How much do you have to lose? Those with a greater amount to lose will lose faster than those with a little less to lose. Understand?

You're going to feel "Phased-Out" (what a cool pun!....sorry, English Major) for another day or two, because your body is detoxing. But if you stick with it, you'll come out the other side feeling great!

Keep it up!
  • Hi, Mommy--Adia answered your questions well. You will be detoxing for at least 3 days, sometimes five, so just stick with it. You'll feel so much better when it's over! The average (which means some lost less and some lost more) is 6-8 pounds after TWO weeks of Phase 1. Anything you might show as a loss for the first day or two would just be water. Don't stress about this, okay? Just keep working the plan and take gentle care of yourself as you work through the detox.

Keep drinking lots of water (at least 64 oz of plain water...but 96oz is even better), make sure you avoid all cheats during these two weeks, and check out the updated lists to make sure you are aware of all the things you can eat. Eating approved good carbs like beans (including chickpeas), bell peppers, and tomatoes can make the detox symptoms less and help with another Phase 1 issue (constipation). You can do this, hon!
  • Welcome and please read the FAQ Section of this Forum!
  • Thanks for the support, ladies!
    Ruth, will do, I was feeling kind-of desperate...felt more like starving than detoxing....
    Oh, and 35lbs to lose, hope I can keep at it.
    Oh, and this is not mentioned in the 'things you can eat,' but can I use psyllium husk (metamucil) for constipation?
  • Sure thing! Some chicks use it before every meal. Just be sure it's not sweetened with evil sugar or corn syrup.
  • Welcome to the sand!
  • Welcome to the beach!
  • Welcome!