New gym member need some info please!!

• I'm more of the aerobics type myself but my mum just joined a new gym and she was wondering what all the different machines are and what they do. She will get someone to show her before she uses them but she's the kind of person who likes to have some idea what's going on before she does stuff. Personally I'm happy to look dumb but mum isn't so keen. If anyone knows a good site or just has some general advice I would be really grateful!

Dill
  • There are two sites I'd recommend: www.stumptuous.com/weights.html and www.exrx.net.
  • I'm no expert, but I do use the machines at my gym.
    They are usually grouped according to muscle groups. For instance, the machines that work your back muscles are in one area, while the machines that work your chest are in a different area.
    Usually each machine has a sign on it that explains which muscles it works and how to use it. But, I'm glad that she'll get some direction, because it can be very overwhelming at first, and she needs to know how to adjust each machine for her height. Plus, she'll learn how to use the machine properly for good results and to avoid injury.
    Good Luck!
  • Funnigrrl you beat me to the sites I was going to recommend, those two sites are awesome....... Dill it's a very good idea that your mother get instruction and training on the machines......
  • Thanks guys!