Pregnant with Type 2 Diabetes

• I am 25 years old and need some advice. I would like to have a child within the next two years. I also have type 2 diabetes. I have read tons of literature and found that most women with tyoe 2 diabetes can have healthy pregnancies with regular blood sugar monitoring, regular exercise and positive outlooks. I was wondering if there are any women in this community who have type 2 diabetes and have had children with this condition. Thanks,
    Melissa
  • Well Melissa I had Gestational Diabetes with my last pg. I wasn't diagnosed with Type II until my girls were 10. I had to take insulin while pg. It wasn't bad. It helped keep my weight down. I only gained their birth weight which was 12lbs(they weighed 6lbs each). I couldn't eat anything with sugar, or drink anything with sugar, just like now. Between that and the insulin I did well. After they were born I didn't have to take the insulin anymore. My b.s. went back down. But, unfortunantly, it came back up the older I got.

If I were you I would talk with you OB/GYN and see what he/she thinks.
  • It can be done. I had two adorable little ones, Type 2 diabetes. It was difficult to do the meal plan & blood sugar testing before & after each meal, & insulin as well, but it was absolutely orth it. My daughter was born 7lbs 14oz & my son was 5 lbs 10 oz (6 weeks early). The main thing to really concentrate on is keeping your blood sugar numbers in a normal range because if not Type 2's tend to have large linebacker babies.
    Best of luck to you!
  • What would the normal ranges be? I have a blood sugar count between 4-14, sometimes. Did you have to lose an incredible (40+ lbs) amount of weight before conception? Did you continue to take insulin shots after giving birth? When did you begin taking the insulin injections? I have a million and one questions.

Melissa
  • When I was pregnant my doctor advised me to stay as close to the "normal" range as possible (IT WAS HARD). I do remember, however that whenever my #'s would be over 150 I would get the poo-poo face
    Also, I was placed on a sliding scale of insulin at about 4 months with each pregnancy & was taken off shortly after giving birth.
  • I don't understand what the normal range is, can you explain?
  • I don't understand what the normal range is, can you explain?
    I have a blood glucose monitor but it seems I get different readings than everyone else here. I get numbers between 4-12 but people here report in the 100s.
  • melissa usa uses the imperial system and canada uses the metric system to calculate their sugars
    glen
  • Hmmm...I didn't know there was a difference. In that case, Melissa, you might want to talk to your doc about what your norms are. Based on what you've said, you WOULD NOT want to be in the 100's
  • melissa your sugars should be 4 - 7 and 5 -8 2 hours after you eat. exersising helps to lower your sugsrs and eat less carbs. glen
  • Does anyone know how to do the calculations?