Hearty Core Lasagna

• I've been searching high and low for a good Core lasagna. I found this on the 3FC WW recipe board. I think it was from way back in 1999! It's all Core (once you substitute ww lasagne noodles). I'll be trying it soon.

Hearty Lasagna -- 8 pts

Recipe By :Cooking Light YEAR: 1995 ISSUE: Jan/Feb PAGE: 83
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00

1 pound ground sirloin
    Healthy Olive oil to saute
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    3 garlic cloves -- minced
    1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped & divided
    28 ounces whole tomatoes -- canned
    14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes -- Italian-style
    8 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce -- 1 can
    6 ounces tomato paste -- 1 can
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
    1 ounce grated FF Parmesan cheese -- 1/2 cup fresh
    15 ounces nonfat ricotta cheese
    1 egg lightly beaten
    12-13 whole wheat lasagna noodles -- cooked. Don't be tempted to not cook the noodles. There won't be enough sauce. You'll probably ned 2 boxes of noodles. Mine only had 10 in the box.
    8 ounces shredded FF provolone cheese -- 2 cups (I'm going to use a 6 ounce package shredded soy blend that I found with provolone, parmesan and romano). I also added an 8 oz bag of FF mozzarella because I thought the blend shreds where not enough.

Cook meat in a large saucepan over medium heat until browned stirring to crumble; drain and set aside. Wipe pan with a paper towel.

Coat pan with cooking spray; add the onion and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.

Return meat to pan. Add 2 tablespoons parsley and next 7 ingredients (tomatoes should be undrained & chopped).

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Uncover; simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, cottage cheese, and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; stir well, and set aside. I blended the cottage cheese to make it creamy.

Spread 3/4 cup tomato mixture (try to only use the juice here) in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Arrange 4 noodles over tomato mixture; top with half of cottage cheese mixture, 2-1/4 cups tomato mixture, and 2/3 cup provolone.

Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread the remaining tomato mixture over noodles.

Cover; bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Sprinkle with remaining provolone; bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with oregano, if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
  • That looks wonderful! Thanks Vickie! I just bought some of that provolone, parmesan and romano shredded cheese this weekend! I had it on a salad. Very good. I am going to try this one this week!
  • I think I'm going to try and adapt this to some sort of casserole using spaghetti (since that's the WW pasta on hand right now). I have some FF cottage cheese, FF mozzarella, and tomato sauce that needs to be used up. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Jim voted to have this tomorrow. The Sticky Chicken was good tonight but wasn't much different than the Cola Chicken. The Cheesy Rice Casserole was dry and bland. I might give it one more try and add some more FF cottage cheese and maybe some garlic powder and a dash of maybe cayenne?! I just get so tired of tomatoes that I'll jump on any entree or side dish that doesn't have tomatoes in it!

I'll give you the review on the lasagna tomorrow.