Around the World again with the friendly Chicks # 6

You're on Page 4 of 28
Go to
  • Meadow~"I think more than I do. I know what I "should" be doing and enjoy the exercise when I am doing it but applying the knowledge and actually "doing" is escaping me. I really dislike being such a mess. This too shall pass " This really struck. it is the same for me with weight loss/fodd/exercise. I empathize completely. I wonder if is related to having young children.They really do need so much form us. There is not much left over for ourselves.
    I had a virgin yard here too, five years ago. I love theat every single plant/tree out there I chose, dug the hole and nurtured.You will really enjoy it!!

Linus~ I am glad that you have sorted out the infections and are taking meds. HUGS to you and bump!!!!!!
    HI Happy, Mel&Shad!
    Come out and play chicks!!!!!

I need to get a life!!
    I moved a round table that my cousin( deceased) built out onto the deck. Everything he made was SOLID and huge.I have several pieces. This one has never had a home. So, I was looking in flyer for a round table and 2 chairs. Well, they are all about $200. So I look at this table and go, hmmmmmmmmm. It looks great. It has a dark walnut finish. So then, I have these 2 old lattice back plastic lawn chairs. Very stained and ugly. I pick up that bonding spray paint for plastic. I paint the chairs( in walnut of course). It works beautifully. I am just tickled. So now I have a little seating nook on my deck that only cost $14. I am beyond excited.
    Once the chairs dry I will be able to go out and have my morning coffee on the deck, and lunch, and sit and read...........
    I just astound myself( and DH) with my cleverness, ROFL!!!!!!!!!I did FANTASTIC with food yesterday.
    I was a completly exhausted by 4pm. Made it through supper, took DD to dance. I popped over to the bank and started back, except I just kept on going towards home. Opps. Forgot about DD. Mosied back to get her.
    When I got home all their voices started to sound lke the parents on Charlie Brown. I went to bed, slept for an hour, got up did dishes, laid on the couch watched 24, went to bed and slept from 10 til 7 this am. Whew! I needed that. No meeting this week! I go to do grandma's hair tonight.it will be nice to get out by myself.
    5 kids today. 2 are not coming cause they are sick. Beautiful morning so far.
    Aiming for good food intake, low amounts of bread, again today!!!!!
  • Oh my goodnight I have had SO much trouble logging on and have finally resorted to requesting a new password and then changing it to one I can hopefully remember!!

Anyway I am back as you can see but I have only popped in to lurk and am going away again to read pages of chattey posts so I have something to say when I come back...bye for now. See you tomorrow probably....
  • Welcome home Teel!!!
  • hey my worldy chicks how are we on this windy ,wet and bloody cold night???/im good had my 4 months antenatal today,i got a row as ive only put on 1llb and not the 2 id thought ???? so im still down 9llb i also got cream as my cervical infection is thrush so i am actually feeling a lot better not so clogged up or headachy conner had his check up at the sick kids today and they have decieded that hearing aids are needed and he will nedd them for life im sad but glad that they have finnaly realised that the 19 gromatt operations that hes had did not work TEEL is home and will check back after she has had time to catch her breath ,right im knackered way to much done today so im off and ill be back tomorow
    love from me and bump
  • Love back to Linus and Bump , Keep us posted on your recovery!!!
    Just glad they know what is wrong and it's not Bump!!!

and welcome home TEEL!!! do tell us all how the trip was!! Expecting to post any pics?!?!?

Happy! I have decided that until I can get a chair to depend on, that I will do a lot of trips to the park during the week just to get away from the office and try to end their dependence on me!!! It's a passive way of fixing the problem but I think it will work.....so I have a thermal bag now, paperbacks, sketchpad, small radio and I need a new water bottle, suntan blocker and a decent hat and I'll be ready!! sooner or later they will learn how to handle the bldg by themselves!!! Cause if I can do it from a chair with no "education" in the field of Housing, then they should....right?! My continued absences should do the trick...well at least that's the plan! It's already working a bit as I have been disappearing already. Keep those smoothies handy and I will bring the sarongs!!! Maybe even those little umbrellas and fancy straws!!!

Shad~ Don't get too comfy in one chair?!?!? This job sounds like they need you badly and better hurry up and put your skills to good use! Hope you fine "someplace" to call home and the commute gets better. Have you found out if you CAN pick your own hours yet?!? Good luck and don't hurl things at anyone yet!!!

Meadow~ I did like Happy did. I tried to get one thing in place before I got another. Trying to do it all at once was defeating me. don't know if this helps or not. (((((((HUGS))))) and you know we love you warts and all!! Good luck playing Mrs. Landscaper!!! sounds like fun. Hope it will be too!

Holly~ Jen and I make treasure out of trash too! Very nice that you got it all done for the $14 !!! Good for you! I alwayus feel soooo accomplished when that happens!

I filled in today and we were short handed again! Plus they were all just "NUTS" ! Is there a full moon coming?!?!? Between the tenants and the staff, my friend and I were about ready to start smacking some heads. there is a delay in that new Boss thing so the ship still does not have a decent captain. Thus the drama and the saga continue uninterrupted! Pathetic really. Well, the day is fast coming to an end and I need food, exercise and a shower still!!!! Have a great night all and good morning Sunshine!!!
    Waving a hand at the missing Chicks!!!
  • I would hate to have me in a class that I took. I ask too many questions, I pust too many buttons, I try things that we haven’t got up to yet and I get into trouble when I don’t listen up so well.

But at least I keep them laughing.

I toddled off to the training course this morning and I think I may have found the new route to and from work. If I cut my training sessions from 50 mins to 40 mins and maybe do one extra per week to make up the leeway, then I can get to the railway station and get into town to work by 0800 hours which means I can leave around 4.30 or 4.45 and be home just on dark without a lot of traffic hassles. Good stuff. Knew it would work itshelf out eventually. Now all I have to hope is that they find me something to do. It’s bad enough to live with the guilt of being overpaid without having nothing to do and being overpaid. Still I won’t grizzle too much as this month I have managed to save enough to pay for half of my next RTW ticket.

Chris has suggested Italy and Switzerland for next years holiday. Suits me I think. Now I have to think about what else I want to do on the way there or back. I better hang on to this job for the next year or so, just so as I have enough spending money to go everywhere I want to go.

Since I had today off exercise, I had time to go out and pick the ripe tomatoes. Now I have another container full of the little devils. Just about everything I eat seems to contain tomatoes. Next they will be sneaking into my cereal in the morning. Anyone for some fresh picked tomatoes - organically grown, no pesticides, no herbicides, just good old dynamic lifter fertiliser, water and mulch. Please say you want some!
    It may have been a day off exercise, but I walked up and down a few hills and did a fair number climbing steps as well.
    Brisbane is a lot hillier than it looks.

Food wasn't too bad, but I did go astray with the morning tea provided by the training company. I did pay for it later with a big sugar high and then let down. Serve me right, I'll learn for tomorrow.
    Toast, avocado, tomatoes. Coffee
    Snack - scones and jam - too much sugar, I paid for it later.
    Lunch - 3 pieces of Sushi
    Dinner - penne with onion, tomato, chicken and basil tossed in mediterranean herbs
    Snack later will be some fruit

Don't have time to go back and check everything tonight as there is a lot of other stuff which must be done tonight. I'd better get off here. I'll be back tomorrow.

Hi to Teel, glad to see you back.
    Glad to hear Linus is feeling better. Sorry to hear about Connor, but at least he doesn't have to carry one of those bloody great ear trumpets around these days - eh wot was that you sed??

Okay, time to go, sort out the kitchen and do some more laundry. Since I got home earlier I had better get some bits and pieces done hey! See ya
  • Linus~ Now that I read shad's post I see the bit about Connor. I am so sorry to hear this and hope there will be no more operations either! Poor kid! Hope the h.aids work and he can hear me singing from Jersey!!!

Shad~ busy woman please send some t'maters to me!!! The ones in the store feel waxy ans don't smell good yet!!!NJ is known for our tomatoes but of course they send them out of state to fetch better prices! I see a lot of fruit and veggies from 3rd world countries that propably use all the insecticide we sold them when we could no longer legally use it in THIS country
    Hope the job gets busy and keeps you on your toes soon!!! Can't have you getting bored!!!

I had a good OP day yesterday and am taking the nest 2 for myself. Need to catch up on some stuff. Have a great day/night!
  • Mel~ we get tons of blueberries from Jersey too.
    DS is home sick. I woke to him barfing onto my bed. Mom's are so blessed.Quiet sunny day tho. I am doing a LOT of laundry and am able to put it out on the line.Nice.
    Food has been on track for 3 days.Had an enjoyable glass o wine last night.
    Still moving things around. I took a shelf out and replaced it with a unit that was a childrens store display (solid) that was going to the dump. HUH? It is beautiful. The kids love it.I snuck some toys out for the thrift shop too.
    Glad everyone seems well!! Good news on the Linus front for everyone!

Off to fold sheets & blankets.
  • Invictus

by W. E. Henley

OUT of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbow'd.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

*Powerful poetry, I love prose that inspires me to keep going
  • just a wee quicky all is well im good kids are well so is huby way too much housework done and now im knacked speak to you all later
    kirsty and bump
  • There's a little bit of a Chinese girl at work and she is pregnant. She has this tiny little swelling under her sweater and every time I look at her I think "bump". I picture Linus and "bump" - what a great pre-baby nickname! Have you decided on any other names yet?

I am the master of my fate Meadow but I better do some good fast or the rest of me will mutiny Holly your house sounds like such a cheery place. You should start the Canadian version of the decorating show - decorating on a dime. Of course it also takes a good eye for looking at something and knowing just the right way to use it.

Eek Mel, you know until you mentioned it, I never really gave it much thought about possible icky stuff on the imported fruits and veggies. Guess I'd better double wash! We live in soggy land here - I will try to send some rain Shad and Suzi's way but the ground is a mess and they won't start working on the yard until it dries out a bit which means my garden area won't be cleared which means I might miss the planting season this year. I really don't want to start from seed. I did get 4 tomato plants which I will probably plant in containers for the interim.

Shad I would LOVE to have some of your tomatoes. Would probably cost 2 years wages for the fines for transporting vegetation across the borders so I guess we just have to all come to your place for a tomato picking and eating day. - Can I ask the rose lady a question? We have a gorgeous climbing rose that is budding all over. We can't plant it until they tear up the side yard. Will this thing do ok in the container for a while? Perhaps I should just plant it in a large pot and then transplant it. I just don't have a trellis at the moment for it to climb on. I'd hate to lose the plant. We were hoping they'd start work on the yard by the end of the month. Doubtful now.

Mel, I really like your day in the park plans. I do hope that you indulge yourself on a regular basis! And welcome back Teel - we eagerly await a run down of your adventures.

I had the most divine dinner. Grilled salmon on a cedar plank. It was hot fudge ice cream sundae good with a nice cucumber side salad and some steamed asparagus. DH and I went to dinner at one of the local restaurants a few weeks ago and their specialty was pork chops or salmon with grilled vegetables cooked on a plank. It was so good that when I saw the planks in a store, I had to try them. Not something I would or could do all the time but it was nice to try. I never would have thought cooking on wood would turn out so well - and it smells like a heavenly camp fire too.

Found a new exercise for the arms and abs. It's called skimming all the seed pods and other debris dropping from the blasted sweet gum trees out from the pool. I was doing that this afternoon while DH was cooking - good workout. I think this pool is going to take ALOT of care and feeding - good thing it was DH who wanted it. I did see a pair of water dumbells at one of the pool stores - got to pick up a pair before they run out. I think I can remember most of the water aerobics exercises.

Pool water is 56 degrees. A bit too chilly yet. The air temperature is about 52 degrees which is starting to feel cold. Funny last year I'd have been running around in a T-shirt singing spring songs if it was 52 in April - now I'm putting on a sweater and telling DH to turn on the heat for a while.

That's enough babbling for now, time to get to bed - I've been overly sleepy lately - it really hits me mid afternoon. I keep wishing I could hide away for just a 20 minute snooze. 'Night all...
  • Evening all,
    I'm so tired, my brain hurts, I hope I can remember all that I learnt. It will be an early night tonight, that is for sure. Back to the office tomorrow. Let's hope they have my desk, chair, computer and work sorted out.

Ummm what else, not a lot going on in my direction. Not much to talk about really.

Happy, you can leave the rose in the container for quite a while as long as you water it frequently and feed it with rose fertiliser and liquid fertiliser once a month or so. Roses are a bit greedy - they like lots of feeding, however they really aren't that big on water unless they are in a pot. Actually roses are quite drought hardy. Make sure it gets plenty of light and sun and you shouldn't have too much trouble. What are you having done to the yard? Thank the DH for that lovely photo. I will get back to him soon.

Meadow, great poem. Love it.

Gotta go. Bed calls.
  • Linus and Bum~ Hello you two and see ya later when Mom brings you back!

Holly~ You remind me so much of Jen and I....always inventing furniture. Jen does it with clothes too Have fun. the rewards are such good feelings of acomplishment inside!

Meadow, I am the Captain of my soul and a bldg of 100! I liked this very much and not to be patting myself on the back but it reminds me of me! I am never down for too long a time....sometimes only a matter of minutes. I am Scarlett of New Jersey! Hope you are getting properly motivated!

Happy~ I can hardly wait for the right weather to start doing this. I just wish the park was lush with greens instead of a city park. I would LOVE Central Park and all it's trails!! Hope the rose bush holds out. My GGM was a florist and she would keep the potted bushes in a metal wash tub of dirt or mulch(not sure which) if she couldn't get out to plant it right away. This way the roots that were hanging out of the holes in the bottom never dried up and "burned" so she said. It was almost like being "planted". Good luck with the yard drying out and hope you get time to plant something this year. You and Shad always make the fish sound soooo good! Maybe someday I'll like it

Shad~ We will have to start praying for a desk and all the trimmings for you!!! Hope the brain is taking a nice snooze right about now. sleep well. Have a great day tomorrow. Is there more schooling coming up? Nice of them to send you for new resume credentials and all for free!!!!

Had a great tossing out day yesterday. I opened the cedar chest and tossed away! Jen came and we went through stuff. she doesn't want it either. I coached her into tossing it too!
    The fridge is freezing my produce and some went into the freezer and the rest into the garbage. when they said Iceberg lettuce my fridge took it literally! Well I have to get dressed! The new one might get here today! Have a great Thursday/Friday!
  • Monumental Joy and Sadness all at Once
    It is an overwhelming, mixed up feeling.
    Hanging out in my head.
    Lots of thoughts. Mostly I am feeling insanely happy. I am lovin’ getting this house in shape. I feel like I am taking charge of my life. I feel like I am an empowered parent. I feel like I am making wise decisions. I am in a totally fantastic groove with my husband. I am living in awareness.
    I was verbally attacked at the church last Tues by the woman who doesn’t like me, in front of about 10 people. It got back to one of the Mom’s I babysit for. She said the kindest, most thoughtful things about me, to me, and how much she and her husband and her parents and in laws adore and value me .
    I was not upset about the attack. In fact, I laughed and told the woman to get over herself , that I had done nothing to deserve it.
    I have been thinking a lot today about how much my perception of myself and my place in the world has changed in the last year. I am approaching my 40th birthday(in July). I keep thinking we will have a party and maybe we will. The weird part is that I would be inviting “old” friends who don’t really impact my life any more .I do care about them and it would be nice to see them.
    All that truly matters to me is the well being of my children , my husband and myself.
    I keep bubbling over with a sense of joy.
    The old me would have doubted or second guessed it, or sabotaged it somehow.

April 26th is the anniversary of our friends death. The flower bed I was working in when I got the call to meet his wife at the hospital to ID his body , is right outside the window of this room. Every time I have gone to work in it this spring I cry.
    When I have been painting the basement I think about how excited my husband , this couple and I were about last summer. I think about the plans to play pool in the basement when it was done. The card games, going to the beach, pizza nights, sleep overs........ I think of our 4 kids running through their backyard at dusk 2 nights before he was killed.
    I think about the endless pain and bullshit my friend has faced besides her and her children’s grief. I want to scream at the unfairness of the world sometimes.
    My emotions are all LARGE right now.The joy is winning .I know Ben would be happy for our happiness.
    I cherish every moment of my life with my family and with those dear to my heart.

I have decided to take a break from the TOPS meetings. I will weigh in every other week. I did get to food Basics last night. Lots of fresh stuff in the house.
    DS really wanted to go to school. I am not sure he is all better. I sent a note. I have 6 kids coming and going to day. A few hours here and there. It is a beautiful spring morning!!!
    Lots of bedding to fold. it was glorious getting in between crispy sheets that were hung on the line.
    I had a great sleep. Allergies are happening but I am managing them.

Have a blessed day dear chicks!!!
  • hi folks ,how are we all ? good i hope ? we are all good and dandy,antibiotics seem to be clearing my chest just have to deal with the gunk!!!!! but ill get there !! kids are good and so are the dogs
    MEL IT GOT HERE the magic box has arrived and it made my week the baby clothes are beautiful but i feel soo guilty as you must have spent so much money thankyou so very very much
    HAPPY garden and pool sound like hard work but so enjoyable but i bet youd rather be exercising in the pool
    SHAD sorry your so knacked hope you get more rest soon
    MEADOW i would have thumped her sorry but way to go you on being sensible
    and to all who remain hello
    bye for now and back tomorrow