Around the World again with the friendly Chicks # 6

You're on Page 3 of 28
Go to
  • Mel's having company. Woo Hoo, should we be going nudge, nudge, wink, wink??? Should we, should we? Sorry to hear that you are so tired Mel. A nice drink and a bit of mindless tv and off to bed all relaxed and easy over. See you when you get back.

Meadow, the toenails sound quite grand and well done on the squats. Before you know it, you will be getting some extra muscle around the thighs and firming up the flab. Jason was saying this morning that squats are really good - and lunges - but more on that later.
    We used to have Debbie Travis' Painted House on here on pay tv. There was another Canadian lady on too - ummm Lynette?!?? I think. Some stuff wasn't bad, but I couldn't believe anyone could work and stay so clean as Debbie did. I certainly can't.

Went to see Jason this morning before going on to my Body Balance class. He tells me that the probable reason why nothing is happening is because the body is bored and knows what it has to do and therefore just does what it has to without stress and strain. He is happy that I am doing 5 days a week, and he is happy that I am doing 40K on the upper body, but wants me to do more on the legs. I've explained that when I got to 80k the body went into pain in the back and knees. Now that I've got used to it, it is not so bad but will take a long time to work up to the next round which is 85K and he thinks I should be doing more than 90K.
    Anyway he has gone away to have a 'glass of red' and work out a new plan and will get back to me next Saturday when we will start out the new and alternate it with the old and change days etc. etc. Anything to wake up this stupid metabolic rate moron of a body. He asked if I wanted to go down a number of dress sizes - interesting concept, but no. Clothes these days are not a good judge of size since one can try on a 16, 14, 12 and a 20 all in the same store and they may all fit very well . On the other hand the 16 and the 14 may be too small but the 12 fits and the 20 falls off. Fashion aint what it used to be.

The rest of the day has been flat out. I've been assisting the fenceman and he is now finished and tidied up, got his money and gone. I've cleaned out the shed and there is a mountain of stuff like old pots, old garden chemicals, old, broken or rusted tools and stuff which the ex or the DS was going to do something about!!! I've chipped old tiles off the floor in the foyer so I can paint the walls and skirting properly and I have done some washing which will be hung out tomorrow. I feel fully entitled to sit and watch Monarch of the Glen, the Bill, and some of the 'royal wedding' tonight. Not that the wedding excites me that much. I like to watch the parade of outfits and guess who will be wearing what. What's the betting the Queen is in blue??
    And who will get into some place which they are not supposed to be?

The pope is at last buried and this non-catholic is really pleased about that. It's about time we thought about something else. He was a good man, but he is dead, he was old, he was suffering. Goodbye pope. I find it amazing that a person who has absolutely no worldly assets can leave a lengthy will!.

So my dinner is ready. I'm having some oven baked wedges sprayed with olive oil and garlic spray and sprinkled with Szechuan seasoning and brother it is hot. Hoping the chilis will kick start the metabolism again. I'm also having some bbq'd salmon and a salad of baby lettuce leaves, tomatoes (home grown), olives, nmarinated artichoke and dressed with a lemon, lime and pepper fat free dressing. It's yummy. I'm off to eat - see you tomorrow.
  • I have been watching a l;ot of PBS Tv myself. I cannot go over and over and over again with the news events that the networks contionue to bombard us with. I agree.
    Glad the day was sooo productive and you got rid of so much from the shed. Makes me want to go back into my closets!!!
    good luck with jason the torturer and hope he finds new and ingenious ways of twisting and pulling the body!
    Hope Sunday is a lovely one and good luck on Monday with the new job!

I realize now that I never said it was my SIL but she is still in florida till May now. So I guess I will clean this pigpen of an apartment. working and cleaning never go hand in hand with me now. have learned to put priorities ahead and leave the rest. Can't do it all in one day anymore so why kill myself over it!!!
    Shad....could it be that your teachings have finally gotten into this Yank?!?!?! Well I better get on with the day cause it's already after 9!!!! Have a gloriously happy weekend/Sunday!!!
  • Morning chicks!
    A glorious sunny morning!!! Supposed to go up to 18C today.

Shad~ you days have been sounding fantastic!! Your workouts to come frightening!
    Mel~Gotta love extra$$$$$. Company is fun too!!! Enjoy this nice weather.

Yesterday was looooong. What’s new, eh?

Hauled 6 kids all over yesterday. Etertained and tidied. DD had her gymnastics class last night.It was GREAT. She went last spring too. it is an AWESOME program. I put her in dance in the fall to let her see what that was like but it doesn’t compare. 2 girls I babysit are going too. It was sooooo enjoyable.I popped over to walmart to get bulletin boards for the kids rooms for their treasures.
    Then we drove into town for groceries. the kids were a little rammy and I was tired but we survived.Got home at 9:30. Late. DD was asleep, just carried her up to bed. DS needed some wind down time( gawd he is like me). Backrub, foot massage and chat.
    DH went to see a buddy and play video games. I called at 10 to tell him if he was drinking to stay over night. His friend commented ( laughing his *** off) that the other “wife” had called screaming at her hubby to get home now. I am the GREATEST.ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO, for today. I slept til 9, wooohoooooo, having coffee. Trying to plan my day in my head as I type. To do: bake a pumpkin dump cake, make coleslaw for tommorrow; clean and sort out kids rooms, PAINT!..........I am avoiding thoughts of yard work cause my heart is already out there. I want to finish the house completely first before I get into the yard. i keep telling myself that is is just the first of April. BUT i could plant peas and lettuce and onions ....stop it already.
    tidy up the kids and paint, baking tonight. I will make pizza for supper.
    I woke to DH teaching DS how to play chess.DD is playing and singing to to herself. OH giant happy sigh.
    At the library the other day DS played a grade 3 boy in checkers and won 3 games in a row. The grade 3er said ,wow he’s tough. It was so cute. My boy is sweet and clever when he is not being a FREAK!
    Okey dokey, coffee is done. Gonna put on grubbies and tidy upstairs.
    Love to all!
  • hi folks just a wee quicky im good babys brill and hubby and bopys are being sweeties got flu again so am in bed {well normally }so ill speak later had text from teel will try and catch her later
    bye for now kirtsy
  • My week off is over - boo hoooooo. I have enjoyed this week even though it has been fairly busy and strenuous.

Today I have been helping a friend with a cv, lifting tiles from the foyer floor - not a fun job and sanding the ceiling also not a fun job but totally necessary. The original painter of this place did not do a proper job and unless I get all the old paint off, the new paint will bubble and lift. So off it comes. Takes time, but necessary as I said.

After I cleaned up from that mess, I decided that patio time was a necessity. So I took a book and a glass of wine and spent an hour out there in the sun sipping and reading and smelling the roses and the heliotrope. It was nice. Must schedule some more of that time.

Tomorrow is weights time at the gym and the start of a new job. Should be an interesting day. Wish me luck.

Holly, DD's gym class sounds so good. I love to watch the littlies strutting their stuff on the aparatus. They are so cute.

Mel quote 'Shad....could it be that your teachings have finally gotten into this Yank?!?!?! ' end quote - one can only hope Mel. There is always another day - well 99 times out of 100 anyway. Why waste the day sweating the small stuff, when you can take it easy one day at a time. The $$ are handy but no need to kill yourself to get them. Can't spend them if you do that.

Well I am tired. I've had a nice dinner of pasta with red onion, tomatoes, chicken, basil and rocket. It was tasty and yummy and little or no fat. I've now made my salad for tomorrows lunch - think bed calls.
  • Shad~ I did think of that while I was working....the killing yourself part. It's the first time I think that I ever said it to MYSELF!!! So that;s why I ate my own food, took 2 rides and came upstairs on the non-working days! I think I am getting the picture!! I tried to get Ringo here on the thread but must be doing something wrong! It's too big they say. Tried to edit it and it still won't come here Have a great NEW DAY!!! Safe travels my friend.

Linus~ I am so sorry to hear you're not well again. Wish we could help somehow! Take care and glad Bump is doing well too.
    Rest up....cause here comes the midnight feedings!!!

Holly~ You have been so busy but the fruits of your labors must be very rewarding!!! And god knows you have been painting fruity colors!!! Hope you will all enjoy that cherry red floor I saw in the journal this morning!! Happy SS today too!

I had my "official" weigh-in today :scale: and I have lost 1 more pound and 4.5". Most of them from the bloating in the bust/stomach area. I am happy cause that make a total of 30 lbs gone and I only need one more to be back where I was a year ago. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get passed that plateau. It's where it stops every time!!
    I need to get off here and cook my food. Tomorrow is the Mall just in case I get lost! My SIL never left Florida so she really is staying till May. So no company this weekend for me!
  • HIya chicks. I do have acherry red floor in the basement. 1 coat done, another to go. SS was good. it is beautiful and sunny. I am feeling festive for the Easter dinner this aft with the in laws. DS has a headache, poor kid. Just gave him some meds. We have an hour to relax. Went to the first bonfire of the season last night for a hour.
    My weight is up. I have been eating to many breads. That is my goal for this weeks. Curb the carbs a bit!!
    Have a peachy day!!!
  • Ok, I have to admit it. I was offended at what some people said in the journals about the pope. Perhaps you are not Catholic and he meant nothing to you. That's ok. However he was the head of the church for over 26 years. And while I did not agree with many of his rather old fashioned ideas, I did think he was a person who embodied a lot of good in human nature. A refreshing change from the pomp and circumstance in the male dominated Catholic religion. And.. it's the monks and nuns who take a vow of poverty - not the priests - which I will admit is one of my sore spots about the religion but I digress... No doubt the man came into many gifts in his lifetime, hence the will. I am more of a practicing Christian than a practicing Catholic but I do remember a time many many years ago when I got up in the wee hours of a very cold Chicago winter's morning to stand in line at 2am for 7 hours, protecting a spot streetside so that my friend's elderly mom could catch a glimpse of the pope when he visited our local church. As I said, I did not always agree with the man, but I did admire him. There is a reason the lines at the basilica were 45 people wide and miles deep. In his long tenure he influenced many, many people. So what if a he made the news for a few days? I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted the fuss but there are others who didn't mind recounting his life - he deserved more than 10 minutes squeezed in between the latest accounts of greed, cheating and murders. You can always shut the TV off, and choose not to look at the internet or the newspapers if you're tired of hearing about something. As for the absurd journal comment about complaining about lowering the flag for a "foreign ruler" well... that's the comment that really angered me as a supposed well educated person should know that lowering the flag is a sign of respect - and it is in deference to the fact that there are millions of Catholics in this country.

I need to go walk off my frustration...
  • Happy, I am so sorry that I have offended you with my comments about the Pope. I have/ had nothing against the man, in fact I think I expressed admiration for him. I'm not Catholic but that didn't stop me from admiring Mother Teresa either. I am genuinely sorry this Pope passed away, however I can't help but think it was a blessed release for him. He was a man with a brain and who in the end could not express himself. Did he really want to live any longer anyway?
    The comment about the foreign ruler was not me but the one about the will was. I said that because that is the information we were given over here. Later I found out that the 'will' was not so much of a will as a diary of events, including the fact that he had considered giving up the Papacy. According to Australian sources, he died without any assets at all - all gifts and donations went to the church not him.
    I did not watch the entire mass, that was my choice. There were other things I preferred to do, just as I did not watch the Chuck and Cammy show the following night apart from a brief glimpse to see who was wearing what and what the Queens expression was (stern as per normal).
    Both the Pope and the Queen have exerted a lot of influence on this world - must of it for the greater good. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say the same of all our leaders. I can understand the people going to Plaza San Piero to see and farewell their spiritual leader, I just choose not to follow. However, one thing about that funeral that I will never forget - well two actually - first the Pope exerting influence from beyond the grave in that the Israeli and Arab leaders actually sat together and the world did not fall down! and the look on the face of that lady at the end of the funeral. That wishful and wondering expression will stay with me for many a day.

Again, I apologise for upsetting you as I have. Religion and politics are two subjects that should be left well alone on these threads and journals. Yes you are right, we should rejoice that the man lived and made his mark. Yes we should respect him for what he was and what he did, and yes he is worth much, much more than 10 minutes sandwiched between doom and gloom. That's it, I say no more.

First day at the new job today. Can't say that I enjoyed it that much. Hate first days anyway and this one consisted of being given two massive folders to read and a quick lesson on how to access and move around a computer desktop with Lotus Notes?!!! Yep right. One meeting and then left alone to sort my pens and pencils out. Just as I finished the 2nd missive, the guy coming running in to tell me not to read too fast as they are doing a rethink about what I am going to do, what the project is going to deliver and how much of it we can get done before go live date (1st July). Tomorrow will not be much better either from what I can see. Wednesday and Thursday I'm off on a training course for a product called OnDemand. That's cool - two days out of the office already. Took forever to get home tonight. I guess that when you leave the house at 5.30 in the dark and get home at 6.30 in the dark it will seem to take forever. This implementation covers the Finance sector put together in a module for the Public Service and Business Warehouse. Most of my stuff will be done through the SAP Internet Portal and while I did something similar in Townsville, this is new in that I've never had to go out to the unsuspecting public about this sort of stuff before. Could be interesting.

Not much else interesting. Food today only so so. Get to the office and find that they provide a $30,000 kitchen with everything, but they don't supply tea or coffee. Bring your own and bring a cup to put it in as well. So I am reneging on my list tonight. I'll watch a bit of tv and go to bed.
  • Shad,
    Thank you for what you said... I know you didn't mean anything by your remarks - it's not your way. Perhaps I was being too sensitive, perhaps lesson learned (for me) that it's best to avoid even the most remote references to religion and politics.

Ugh, new job doesn't sound the best already. Are you on the rollout team for implementation or training - wait they did say they are rethinking what you are to do... Hope it gets better as the weeks roll on. Can't believe they don't supply coffee or tea - never heard of that - perhaps the kitchen is not finished being renovated quite yet I've worked in places before that don't supply coffee cups - ok, so it's a good environmental thing, but what about visitors? Some had a supply of ceramic odds and ends cups that came from who knows where - I never felt comfortable drinking out of them, even if they did get a good rinse in the dishwasher.

As for the weekend... a scene replayed often throughout the past 2 days. DH and Happy in the home improvement store. DH goes off to buy tooly things and leaves Happy in the garden center. The cart groans under the weight and the wheels cave. DH says to Happy - Do we REALLY NEED all that stuff? Happy says Can't have enough color. DH says there is such a thing as TOO MUCH. Happy says I agree but we haven't gotten to that point yet. I found some lovely multicolored primroses that now adorn the corner of the front lot. And we have 2 new rose bushes - a pink one and a gorgeous orange with a yellow trim. The orange one is a climber - neither of us noticed at first so it can't go where we planned on filling in the 2 gaping holes in the "rose garden" on the side of the house. Well pink one is there and happy at least. We have an ugly storage shed on the side of the house. I suggested to DH to cover it with lattice work. We'll have 2 climbing clematis on one side and the new rose can creep happily up the other side. Did alot of work outside this weekend. The hot weather is right around the corner. Just reminded me that I have to get serious getting the weight off. Was mighty uncomfortable on the knees planting and trying to stand up. We also wound up with fast food quite frequently - all that salt is making me feel like a stuffed sausage in my skin. I am back to plan today - fruits, veggies and lean proteins. Started the day with an apple, pear and cinnamon protein smoothie - extra fiber in the fruits and the yogurt. ummm... good.

We're supposed to get severe storms again this afternoon and they aren't kidding when they say severe. Lord don't let the power go out when I'm in the elevator on the 10th floor. Today's morning email was a reminder of safety practices in the event of a tornado. Like I'm really going to hide in the ladies room on the top floor if I see a tornado coming at me I was also struck by the reminder that an approaching tornado sounds like an oncoming locomotive - how do we tell the difference since there are very active train tracks just across the street - trains pass more than once an hour. I think I'll go by that gut feeling of seeing the sky an ungodly shade of green that is not at all natural... At least the rains will wash the yellow pollen off everything. There is a price to pay for all these colorful blooms I suppose...

Well it's time to buckle down and get to work. Have a good one everybody...
  • hey folks ,how are we all ???? im good have been to the docs this morning and answers are finally coming i have not had the flu as i thought i have a sinus infection and ear infection and chest infection so im now on anti biotics and have since recieved my swab results from hossie and i have a cervical infection too but the anti biotics should cover that too ,so hopefully ill soon be feeling better
    HAPPY i understand your feelings and can sympathise i once met the pope when he came to scotland in 1982 my gran recieved a long service medal to the chirch{she looked after the preists } he was an incredibly comforting person and really funny too made everyone feel really relaxed and comfortable i have let my religion lapse {as i couldnt confess to a man who used to bounce me on his knee} but i admired him for what he acheived and the comfort he gave but i didnt watch the services as i thought the poor man had been in the public eye for way too long through illness and ill health that he should have been allowed to bear privatly ,hope you dont get stuck in the lift either or mels firemen will have to come to your rescue
    SHAD sorry the first day was a washout but hopefully youll soon get them whipped into shape
    MEL well done on more weight loss i am finally putting on weight still got 8 more llbs to gain until i reach pre pregnancy weight but i aint in a hurry
    and to the rest of my worldy chicks have good ones ,never admit your wrong and breathe deeply
    back tomorrow
    kirsty + bump
  • Happy~ I forget what I might have said but if you were offended in any way...I am truly sorry. No more politics or religion for me either. At the very least you got to go out and get some exercise with the "walk"! Sorry...I know that's not funny but we all get pissed about something sometime! ((((HUGS))))
    Your trip to the store sounded great but when I was married the roles were reversed! I couldn't leave him alone in ANY garden center!!! Our yard looked like a jungle complete with the jungle gym for Jen!! Glad to see you both making the new house a real home and making your own mark on the property. Have fun and enjoy it.

Shad~ I can just see you coming and going in the dark! ;yikes: sorry for the hours of traveling. How nice of them to let you out of the office so soon!!! And without a keeper??!! Do you think they will decide SOON about the actual; work?!?!? Good luck and keep us filled in....inquiring minds want to know.

Linus! You poor thing!!! I hope the pills start to work their magic and you feel much better!!! Sending (((((HUGS))))) your way....and Bump's too!!! Take care and behave yourself
    Hello to teel if you talk!

Saying hello th everyone else and any lurkers!! come on and join us. Jump in cause the water is fine!
    I went to the mall but saved my $$. If I lost 3 lbs so far this month then maybe some of their brothers and sisters will fall off me too. So I have plenty of summer stuff to wear and it would be sad to buy more of the same sizes. I did get some paperbacks to add to the "summer in the park" program that I am imagining and creating for myself. Had a great day out and food shopping is for tomorrow. Take care and have a great evening/morning!
  • Shad-sorry things aren't clicking along just yet, I can imagine what a chore it is for you to be there with this big question mark over what it is you are actually supposed to be doing. You'll whip them into shape Your dinner the other night sounded totally yummy, we can't afford tomatoes here at the moment, too dear. I am so salivating for some ginger chicken with rice (sauce has chicken stock, oriental seasoning, real ginger bits, garlic, green onions, tomatoes and chicken diced up and thickened with some cornstarch and poured over rice).

Happy- We aren't religious, so my kids didn't have a clue why this man's dead body was being carted through huge crowds on the tv. It was a very odd sight for them. It was a great opportunity to talk to my kids about the meaning of the lowered flag at their school. That is was to show respect for someone who had passed. Big hug. Good to hear you are getting dirty in the garden and making plans for total coverage of every inch with colour. I will have a yard to start from scratch in, all bare dirt My first purchase will be some trees

Mel-you are doing so well on your slimming plan, 3lbs is fabulous. I haven't bought any books lately to read, I just zone out, pass out of an evening these days. Tell the truth now about the money saving, you just didn't see any gear that appealed did you? I feel a pair of capris in 100% cotton in your future

Linus-phew, glad you have been diagnosed and have the drugs to combat your many infections I hope the little passenger will not be affected. You need to have your full energy. How could you talk about having to gain weight? That is just cruel You beautiful little incubator woman, I hope you are sipping tea and enjoying yourself now that you have the good drugs to kick your ailments to the curb

Holly-your kids sound very active and busy, just like their mom. My girls would love gymnastics but they are already falling asleep at school so it will have to wait till they are older. Congrats to your son beating the big guys at checkers, great ego booster. What vitamins do you take again? I need more energy

I think more than I do. I know what I "should" be doing and enjoy the exercise when I am doing it but applying the knowledge and actually "doing" is escaping me. I really dislike being such a mess. This too shall pass
  • Evening ladies,
    Any and all who would care to share some of your yummy recipes, please do. I'm always looking for something new to try...

Meadow, good luck with the yard. Planting trees is always a good place to start. Just make sure you plant them far enough away from the house. We planted a tree at the old house, was supposed to only get about 12 feet high at maturity but it must have really liked the soil as it grew to well over 20 feet. Had to keep cutting the limbs as it rubbed up against the house. It was most gorgeous in spring with beautiful white blossoms. As for trees, don't get a sweet gum tree. I thought maples were a pain with their seed pods. These make the most horrid messes at least 3 seasons out of the year. Anyway have fun with your clean slate of a yard.

Mel, do tell us more about your summer in the park program please? Nice control at the shopping mall today. Save it for something special.

Linus, that was a nice story about your gran. Sorry to hear about the infections. I hope little bump is a sleeper for you as you surely have had more than your share of discomfort with this pregnancy. Rest up little one.

Shad you have a very long day - is it because this job is further away? I don't envy you the commute and you're the best if you manage to make it to the gym with all that travelling.

I am trying very hard to be good and have some good stats for the eco challenge. I decided that for me, the best thing was to focus on one aspect for the week and if I did nothing else, do that well. So for this week it's the water. Glug, glug, glug.

And now it's off to bed for me as I have an earlier than usual start tomorrow and I WILL NOT BE LATE. G'night all.
  • I'm now working in the centre of the city Happy, so the commute is longer than before when I was out at the port and had only two motorways to speed along before I got home. This way, I have to find somewhere to park the car reasonably close to but not in the city, and take public transport into and out of town then drive home. I'm still working out the best routes to take. I leave home early to go to the gym and then go into town and come straight home. The mornings are not too much trouble, but this getting home at night 1.5 hours or more after I leave work is becoming a frazzle. Usually by the time I get home one of two things is becoming desperate - loo or food. Which means I'm chucking stuff down the throat - some of which ought not to go. Fortunately there is little that is really bad in the cupboards or the fridge.

Linus, I so hope that these drugs will fix the problem. You must have had more than enough of feeling rotten. Have you heard from Teel? Is she still lost in the wilds of Derby?

Mel, well done on saving the $$$'s if you keep losing then you will be able to go out and buy some more smaller sizes soon. Wish it was me that was losing so well. Mind you the blip from last weekend is slooooowwllyyyyy moving. Amazing how fast it gets there and how slow it goes away.

Meadow, I may send some tomatoes over to you. I have them coming out of my ears as the trusses on the bushes are ripening faster than I can eat them. I gave a large pot of them away to my friend down the road over the weekend, and have as many again to get through myself. And I haven't been out there in daylight this week, so have no idea how many of them are now ripe and ready to pick.

Things are disappearing on me. I just wrote a spiel about the job and it has totally disappeared. The rest of the post is still there. Weird.

Anyway to recap on the job. Don't get used to your seat, they'll change your spot next week! Make that tomorrow. Apparently I am to be shifted to sit with my Business Analyst so I can fire questions at him as necessary. Tomorrow I go on my OnDemand course and that lasts till Thursday. Friday, they reckon they will have something for me to do. I hope so. I told the bloke that I report to, that I am not coping well with this inactivity and suggested that if they can't find something for me to do, I would like to suggest I do it at home. There is a limit to the number of times you can read a standards document and I've been through just about every file on the V drive that I can get into. Brother am I bored.

Right a bit of mindless tv and bed. What a life!