Around the World again with the friendly Chicks # 6

You're on Page 10 of 28
Go to
  • Hello, hello HELLOOOOO!!!!!
    My modem got blasted in a big lightening storm Wednesday night. I miss you all soooo much. I was just plain sad last night because I didn’t get here to read and post. I journalled at home this morning for a few pages in word perfect.It felt good to write it but it is no the same as here.

DD has her dance recital tonight.Both sets of Grandparents are coming. The dressed rehearsal last night was chaotic and stressful.
    I am looking forward to the weeknd.
    I did weigh in at tops on Wed before the layout meeting. I was up to 235. I haven’t weighed this in months. My scale says I am 229 today. It may have been a sodium blip!!! I have been much more aware the last week.
    Just 1 toddler right now. We are soon off to get some healthy groceries for the weekend. I am at the library right now. I can come again tomorrow aft. They are closed on Sunday. Sigh.
    HUGS DEAR CHICKS!!!! I will do a bit of reading!!!
  • Well gosh, I had the best intentions. I was going to bicycle while I watched the Apprentice last night. I managed about 10 minutes when the kids started smashing each other into the walls. Emily has a huge dent in her forehead and her sister was belligerent about it. So Emily got a cool cloth on her poor head. Sarah by the end of her nose in the air and snarky comments stood 7 minutes in the corner till she cooled off. *I've been watching super nanny Plus the girls have been at my bicycle and done something to the handlebars so they won't rise above my knees I get the feeling sometimes that exercise and me just aren't ment to happen!

Mel-I hope your chair will take you out for some air and give your spirits a lift with a change of scene. That is a long time for the chair guy to be at your place, were the residents talking about that too? Why are they giving Willy a hard time? Did I miss something? I thought the pavement was lifted and that is what caused your spill? I guess I need to go reread :silly:

Holly-I know how it is when you can't get here. Even when I don't post, I'm reading and wanting to know what is happening in the chick's corners of the world. Fingers crossed your new modem gets a surge protector and you will be free to frolic on the boards to your hearts content. Hugs for the scale betrayal, even if it is wrong, it sucks to have your faith in what you are doing shaken. Death to all scales

Shad-do you have plans to putter in the garden this weekend? My kids have the day off today so they are having a long weekend too Has the rain let up? Are you wearing your wellies? How is the work situation? How many people are you actually working with? Any keepers?

Happy-good to hear your mom is so easy going. Nice to have a relative that comes to visit and not cause stress. I hope she and you are having a lovely visit together.

Linus-how is the weather in your corner of the world? We are sunny, cool breeze and blue skies here I may even get out in the yard and dig out a few dandilions, thing is though every time I look at them I think, what a lovely colour, weeds are just flowers in the wrong place and wind up leaving them to propogate all over the yard I hope your family is treating you right and you are getting some tender attention.

Teel-I too am anticipating your visit to Linus. I hope you will tell all and give us lots of details about your excursions together. I know you both will have a glorious time. It really isnt' that far off. Down to weeks now.

Tig-you sound so chipper and focused. Imagine clearing your exercise equipment to the garage to make more room for the family. Is the truth that your little visitors are as michievious as my kids and you have moved the equipment for its own safety? I think my kids have done permanent damage to my bike, I may have to go back to the videos.
  • Mel!!! Poor Willy, as if he deliberately did this to you!! Maybe he did drive a bit too fast but he was not drunk - like the other one possibly would have been and he did take you onto the hospital for professional help and he is obviously taking the whole thing hard. It sounds to me like maybe they are making get rid of Willy noises! Perhaps you need to go downstairs and make thank god it wasn't ??? noises - plan a save Willy campaign. He sounds like an ordinary nice enough bloke to me.

Holly, so sorry to hear of the death of the modem. Pity we are not closer, I have a couple of spare ones here that you could use. I always use surge protector plugs on my electrical appliances now - ever since DS computer plug got hit by a storm a couple of years back. Even though I have a surge point at the Power Box outside the house and surge protection on every outlet in the house and every power board I use also has them - stuff can still get zapped. Amazing Mother Nature - she can sure beat up anything man made!!!

Meadow, if the kids can wreck the bike, surely they can help to put it back. I don't know what or how the bike handle bars are set, but surely they didn't take to it with an axe. Did you ask them how they did it? (Said admiringly, not shouted as to how the @#$% did you do that) I have a new set of spanners and pliers, maybe I should zip on over and check your place out? and Holly as well???

Tig!!!! - an 8K run? puff, puff, puff. Well I can do 7 in 50 minutes on the treadmill - but it is an entirely different story on the roads. Good luck to you. Have a great time.

I've been having a 'discussion' with my insurance company. The upshot of this is that they will only pay out $1000 for the loss of my goods owing to the fact that the shed was not 'locked' and so the goods are considered ny them to be an open air risk. Considering the items total closer to $2000 I am less than amused. I also pointed out that I am the type of customer they prefer because in 16 years with them I have only made 4 claims (3 on the car and 2 of those they would have got the money they spent repaid by the other persons insurance company since they were at fault) - yet I pay out close to $1400 per year in premiums. It seems loyalty and being vigilant and careful of my possessions and also not making frivolous claims doesn't actually mean anything to them and for my troubles in informing the police and getting all the paperwork done properly and promptly, and paying for a JP to sign my Statutory Declaration to say I am not lying, I also have to pay an excess fee of $100.00.

Hmmm this smacks of shades of the problems I went through with Health Insurance and so started my own. Now, I must officially insure the house because of the mortgage, and I must officially insure the car because it is under Bill of Sale (ie I have a loan to pay for it) but none of the furniture, fixtures and fitting have any bonds attached. So I may very well use the premium for this in my bank account and not their profit ledger. Can you tell I am an unhappy Shad. I can hear you asking what I did about health insurance. Well okay.
    I refuse to pay $1200 per year premium which the insurers deem necessary because of my age. I go to the Doctor twice a year and have all the normal checks and balances, squeezes and pokes and jabs as required. I live a healthy lifestyle and last had flu quite some years ago. I exercise and keep a watch on moles, freckles, lumps and bumps. The Government here tried to force us into the American way of health insurance instead of the federally funded Medicare system to which we all pay for through our taxes and those of us who are paid over and above the cut off point pay extra for per year. I said no, I wasn't paying out for something that I didn't use but I would put the premium into an interest bearing term deposit at the bank and use it if and when I fell under the proverbial bus. Result of that is that I have been around the world twice on my medical benefits scheme. I call these my medical treatments for stress for the type of work I do. Maybe I am eccentric - call me nuts, no safety net etc but I wouldn't have missed those trips for anything. In fact next year should be stress leave time again, everything being equal. Now I can probably add the money saved from contents insurance to the Shad Medical Benefits Fund. I will have to give this more serious consideration - over a medically funded glass of wine maybe??

Okay enough rambling. Today I am about to spend some time in the gym and then the facial and foot massage that I was supposed to have last weekend but forgot the time. Then I will be back home to do some work around the place. I really am tired of the sanding dust and dirt. If I put in a big effort this weekend I may get most of the lounge room ceiling done and maybe into the dining room as well. Then I can clean up and live dustless (well almost) for a while. I should also manage to get some prepcoat onto the walls and get the blinds back up - privacy at last!!!
  • Shad~ I am so sorry about the Insurance company. Last night I had read your journal and was heart broken. I wish I could make it all better but sometimes Life Sucks. Yes poor Willy Boy....he is a great driver, great Dad and great husband. I think the office is just waiting to see what I am doing....which is nothing. So Yesterday I went down and tried to look "happy" about the whole situation and Monday I'll go down every day for a bit. the tenants have no say in this matter and the "powers" that bee are OK I think but I am going to make sure. They wouldn't want to do anything to him....he's the "sober" one!

Meadow~ I wish I could send AB to fix your bike and get you started on exercising.....remember the movie Miami Rhapsody????
    When it's my time, I want to go to THAT nursing home and have him be MY aide!!! Good luck with the bike and keep going! Hope the DD's head is OK....God the things kids do to each other!!! I remember me and the brother!!!

Holly~ Things still a poppin' at your house I see. Hope the scale was right at your house! That's why I only like to use one!!! What were you wearing?!?!? I had a friend call me once and the difference in her weight was her huge clunky boots!!! Once we figured it out she stopped crying Good luck this week and try focussing on HOLLY while you worry and do for everyone else.
    You say you are but I don't believe it!!!!:roll[in: You forget I do the same thing

"WOKE UP THIS MORNING FEELING FINE....LA LA LA"
    I must tell you that the back is MUCHO improved today. The immobilization is working. The most I did yesterday was change chairs and pee!!! No pills ;ast night, no nightmares and just the usual turning. I actually slept till almost 8! So this is day 3 of do nothing and I will do the dvd thing and old vcr tapes. At this rate I might even be able to go food shopping with Willy (and Jen) by Tuesday. Trying not to get too excited in case I can't. BUT.......a girl can dream can't she?!?!?! Maybe Willy can take a walk with me around the block!!! That would get all the chins wagging!!! Where were the Willys of the world when I was married to a brute? (sigh) I just realized something.....god works in mysterious ways.....I get Willy during the day when I really need help and I don't have to wash his dirty clothes or cook for him! Never thought of that till now!!!!
    Hope you all are having a great weekend! ENJOY!
  • Yay Mel, Yikes Shad & hugs, darn kids Meadow!,Hello and hugs to everyone!!!

Morning.
    Not sure if it is good or not. I woke up rested and quite happy. Played a game of cranium with the kids.
    Now our satelite is out. Hmmmmm. Maybe it is a message from the Gods saying we are too dependant on technology.
    DH woke up in a flurry. He has had a LOT to say about ever little, miniscule, tiny thing I do ar say. I am not amused. I asked to come upstairs and talk about it in private instead of criticizing continually in front of the kids. He went outside. Good place for him.
    He hates his job. Nothing new there. He went on and on repeating himself for an hour and a half last night.

Instead of watching Law and Order after a BUSY day. I listened. He did have an interview on Thurs but felt it was odd. the manager didn’t say anything so DH just talked about himself.
    Anyhow, on to nicer things. The dance recital was FABULOUS. The choas of the dressed rehearsal was MIA.
    I felt inspired to get moving. The senior students were worthy of any big stage production i have been too. I mpressive. DD did great, was monumentally cute and all the GP’s LOVED it!

I am quite proud of the fact that while on the phone with a Tech I opened my computer tower and took apart my modem, reconfigured stuff......... This is definitely a new acheivment for me!!!

I am off to buy a new external modem for way less$$ then Dell. I am hanging out in the PEACE of the library.I am liking this.... a LOT!!!

Foo, water has been good. exercise had only been running up and down the stairs 500 times a day. Apparently thats not enough.
    Have a wonderful day. I will try to get back tomorrow if I am not in jail for murdering my husband.
  • Cloudy and cool here today
    Jumps in the moat boat and rows around the manor house Virtual exercise, ah, I think I've cracked it

Woah Shad, that insurance situation sounds like a punching bag situation to me... have you put that up in the garage yet? Bureaucracy, phooey! I like your solution of the Shad plan, sounds very empowering and a nice little sanity saver. Breathe.

Mel-I'm glad you are feeling a bit better, it gives me the shivers to think of how difficult this all must be for you. I'm sorry Willy is getting such bad energy and you must fight his corner for him, even when you are injured you must be a soldier, it is your way

Holly-((((HUGS)))) Your hubby sounds like he is very stressed, don't take it on. You know it isn't about you but about how he is feeling. Don't murder the guy just murmur alot of "I know" and "poor baby" and he will lighten up
    Congrats on being such a clever bean and digging in the back of the computer! Scary stuff in them there towers, I hope you are back to your home space typing soon!
  • Weigh in day and still whinging
    Weight - 72.5/71.5 - down 1 kilo (was 71 on Friday until I blipped)
    Upper Chest - 37.75/ 36 - down 1.75 inches
    Bust - 41 / 40.5 - down 1.5 inches
    Lower Chest - 34 / 33 - down 1 inch
    Waist - 34 / 32.5 - down 2.5 inches (no wonder my pants no longer fit!
    Upper Hips - 39.5 / 39.25 - down .25 inches
    Lower Hips - 40 / 39 - down 1 inch
    Top of Leg - 21.25 / 20.75 - down .5 inch
    Top of Arm - 12.25 / 12.25 - same

Weight is not quite where I wanted it, but muscle mass is growing I guess - although Mr Jason Torturer keeps telling me I won’t grow big muscles - he doesn’t have to live with the tops of my legs or my arms! And I know it weighs heavier than fat and that the weight will eventually move downwards but this sure is taking time and effort. Yes I know, it is a really good result, I have done well. Yes, it is the most I have lost in one month for a very, very long time. I am impatient when it comes to getting results for myself. I can encourage, empathise, motivate and show great patience with anyone else but me. Yes I am worthy of giving myself time - great works of art are not usually created in one day!!

MEL - So glad things are looking up for you at last. Yep, you are right, all you have to do is admire Willy during the day. You have enough washing and cooking and cleaning to do without putting a man in the scenery - although there are one or two that are nice to look at I must admit. Tell the biggest gossip in the office you have thought it over and there will be no legal action. That should take some of the heat off poor old Willy. Then you can give him a salute from downunder and give him my thanks for looking after my big sister.

Holly - wish I had known you had an internal modem. I could have told you that they don't last well. Mine only lasted about a month and a half and was therefore replaced free of charge. But the Chinese techo at the shop told me it was the weak link in my system and since we are prone to thunderstorms up here it was best to change to an external.

Meadow - virtual exercise, can't beat it, but it won't unfortunately achieve the results you are looking for. Up you get on that bike and ride it with no hands!!!!!

Went and spent my Pure Indulgence Package voucher which DS1 gave me at Christmas yesterday. Had a facial, back massage, foot massage. She was a very good masseuse. And I have to admit the skin felt really good after she had finished. She tells me I have dehydrated skin. (She hadn't just spent 1.5 hours at the gym either) However I did enjoy it and may even go back again for another sometime although the price is a bit on the high side I think.

As stated, I went to the gym for 1.5 hours yesterday. I am going back again shortly to do my cardio and treadmill stuff. I have sort of decided to spend some time at the gym during the weekend, owing to the fact that I haven't got the time in the mornings now I am working in the city and am too worn out most nights to make it to the gym. So I'm thinking being at the gym for 8.00am Saturday and Sunday and spending 1 to 1.5 hours there and going Monday, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday for around 45 minutes a time. Giving myself Thursday and Friday (my worst days for wearing out fast) off. We'll see how this goes.

So time being what it is - I had better go get changed into gym gear and get off down the road. See you
  • Meadow~row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream ..........
    Shad~ you day sounded quite nice and your results are great!!!! The pamper treatment stuff is underrated!!! we should get it for free for living in this crazy world!!!

I am working at home!!! New modem personally installed by ME!! I guess I am lucky the internal one lasted 2 years. I had to go through over 40 emails.

Have a great night!
  • Jen was ill yesterday and our old Dr came to the house. She is fine...well not fine....but it must be a short lived virus of some kind. He was here to see another tenant too. We spoke and he said the reason for the ups and downs is me using my arms. We came back to my place and the first thing he said was get off that thing for at least another 2 weeks OR until the pain is gone. Said it could take that much time easily. So I have a lot of faith in this guy, and he has seen me through a LOT of ups and downs. I will be back after the pain is gone. Take care my Chickie friends and be good to yourselves. Hope the time flies!!!
    Love to you all.

Shad~ I will tell Willy too!
  • hello ladies ,how are we all ?? bit up and down since my last visit !!!
    SHAD well doe on the weigh-in everything down except one the same insurance companys really do suck unfortunatly with my housing association you have to have contents insurance just incase you cause damage to other peoples property ,glad you got for your pampering session
    MEL tell the gossipers that there is a word called slander !!!!!!!! then throw in a libel or two that should make them shut up some people are never happy until they are *****ing about other people ,glad your feeling a lot better hunny and continue to do so ,tell jen to get well soon
    HOLLY now you know why i have a built in tech department he really does come in handy some times
    MEADOW i always get the kids to un do what theyve done ,sometimes they are the only ones who know how you and exercise will eventually collide ,just think of how much you do withoutn even thinking about it ???????
    TIG running again ???? you must have iron will power ,keep going you must be nearly here by now
    HAPPY how did the visit go ??has he family gone home now ????how was your birthday ??
    right i have to go and make dinner and feed the dogs so ill pop back later and fill you in with us lot ,not much happening and some bad news , my dads last elder relative died last night so he is now the eldest in the family ,and i have the funeral on friday ,craig starts his exams on wednesday {english}
    love to all
    kirsty +bump
  • Here it is 6.33 on an overcast and cloudy Labour Day Monday and I am not working. Well that is not working at the office. I got up early to ensure I get this sanding finished today. Another couple of hours should see it close enough to finished and then I can get on with cleaning up and having a more or less dust free house again. Just getting up on the ladder to start on the ceiling when I suddenly thought of the noise laws - humphhh the noise ****s will have a go at me if I start power tools at this time of the morning (4.30) - so instead I have been throwing clothes at the washing machine and tidying and now everything is ready for a 7.00 oclock start. I should be ready to throw paint at one of the long lounge room walls by the end of tonight.

I also have to - at some time today - go to my friend Chris' place to give her a few more lessons on Microsoft Office - which becomes more difficult by the day as they don't have Office, only Works. Guess I may have to get her up here to get in touch with the finer points - like tables, formatting, formula, databases etc etc etc.

Went to the gym yesterday for over an hour of cardio. Rower, stepper, eliptical, bike, treadmill. Was going to go back today as well, however think the time will be too tight as they are only open 8 - 1.00 this being a public holiday and all. Reason number two is that I am still fairly sore from Saturday's all out effort on the weights. It seems the muscles in my shoulders are not getting out of the lazy status easily. It hurts to move the arms and shoulders too much, but a bit of sanding will take the stiffness away I am sure.

Mel, we will keep in touch a couple of times a week. Hope all this isolation works for you. It will not be easy. Is it now time to break out the watercolours??? It will be real quiet around here without you. Phone calls ???? Are you allowed to hold the phone????

Linus, so sorry to hear of another death in the family - it seems so hard when this happens but somehow when one goes, the others don't always seem to last much longer. Death happens. My generation of the family are now the oldest family members, we range in age from 65 to 45. Things being what they are, and the family genes coming into force, another 15 to 20 years should see us all knocking on the door.

Right I am off to hang out the washing, by which time it will be 7.00am and the noise can start in earnest. See you all.
  • Linus~ hugs
    Mel~2 weeks of hugs
    Shad~ I have some lemon yellow paint left over if you need some, all out of lime green.
    Dh did offer to stay home with the kids. All is much subdued around here.
  • Sad news that we'll be Mel-less for a while.

I finished the 8K yesterday. Now I need to work on being able to run farther before I have to start walking. A little faster and a little farther. Yep, Linus, that'll definitely be me huffing and puffing at your door looking for a drink.

Slim has been working on The Fort - he built steps and has painted it camouflage. He did such a good job you can't see it. The Thugs were here last weekend and loved it. They'll be back this coming weekend.

We were supposed to get rain today but got nothing but humidity. It is really getting to be that time of year when all the snowbirds leave because it is getting too hot for them. I guess their feathers molt.

Back to work tomorrow. Work is so horribly wretched I just ignore it when I'm away from the office. Being happy at home and with my life certainly is the key to sanity for me.

Meanwhile, the laundry is calling to be folded. Slim does everything around the house - cooking, shopping, laundry, vacuuming, but he doesn't fold clothes or iron. Wouldn't want a Perfect Man - he'd be insufferable!
  • Food has been quite good. I did have a donut yesterday. DD came to London with me. It was nice. We stopped at Tim Hortons for a drink and donut. It was soooo much fun. She thought she was quite grown up.
    DS has had a good morning and off to school.
    I am off to clean the kitchen.I have asked DH 3 days in a row for help. There are no clean pots right now. I am not sure what he thinks I will cook his dinner in. LOL!
    My strike in the kitchen didn't really work.

10:30 am.....I am feeling quite liberated. I feel as though I have worked through the emotions of the Grandma thing, the son things, the troll at church thing, the death of friend thing and I feel able to face the world. I have done the dishes and it didn't hurt and i have made phonecalls for the church directory and I will start working on the title pages today!!!! That is the fun part!
    4 girls watching Cinderella and 1 baby boy sleeping!!!

I included the exchanges with my sis in my journal if you want to read them.
  • ((((HUGS MEL))))

I did some plies, squats, lunges, upper body weights on Saturday. I know exactly where my leg muscles wrap around my thighs because I can feel every bit of it. I did a few more squats on Sunday to try and shake the ache but it still lingers. What a struggle this getting fit stuff, eh? You do it, you ache, you don't do it your spirit aches, catch 22.

Tig-alright! you did it!! Slim sounds like a wonderful fellow, imagine camoflaging the fort, inspired Hugs for the work stuff, it is a good thing your home life is so sweet

Linus-It is sad that your relative has passed, going to funerals when you are pregnant though does seem to cheer everyone else up. Consider yourself the angel of life's renewal I hope you are feeling well and the little passenger isn't keeping you up at night.

Shad-What colour are you painting the lounge? I adore decorating talk Aren't you a dear friend to help your buddy figure out microsoft office and all those spreadsheets, has my head reeling at the thought of trying to explain it all. Any feedback from the neighbours for starting at 7am? Wow, you are a nose to the grindstone motivated lady today aren't you! Doesn't having a cup of tea and a nose through a magazine appeal? Actually if I couldn't sleep I would pop in an AB movie and let my imagination have a good workout I know, I know, that kind of exercise will never shift the extra baggage below. Your measurements show you have been doing well, congratulations. Much future success!

Holly-I had a Tim Horton's doughnut yesterday too, snap Mine was at 2pm my time, so if you had yours around 5pm your time we were munching in sync! Sadly my pots are still on the stove, no kitchen fairies or husbands rushing to clean and clear. It might happen that I will set to and tackle it but then I might have to vacuum, do laundry and wash the floor and all that other stuff that seems to need doing constantly. Phew, I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I had better have a coffee. Feeling liberated from thoughts weighing on your conscience is a good thing, I hope your energy stays fully charged and you smile alot this week and forever more