Non food pick me ups

• As those who have read my distress post will know, today has been a tough day, and I guess none of us are immune from them. I was thinking about some of the ways I can give myself to comfort without resorting to my old nemesis, food! I would love to hear some of yours, and perhaps the list could help all of us going through tough times.

A bath with the most indulgent bath salts/bubble bath you can find
    Listening to your favourite cd that you haven't put on in ages
    Cuddling on the couch with the cat/dog
    Walking around your neighbourhood and chatting to a neighbour about their garden/kids/dogs/axolotls (weird neighbours!!!)
    Reading a book from your childhood (I keep going back to Polyanna and The Secret Garden)
  • A big treat for me is going to the local coffee house and sitting down with a good book and a hot cup of coffee.
  • Ooh thats a good one. I do that at Barnes and Noble. That way, you can pick your book! Read quick quote books or get started on a novel. But I give in to the really fattening hot chocolate (they make with half and half)!! Also I take my chihuahuas out and play in a big grassy area outside our apartment. Just seeing their happy faces bouncing around, its hard not to laugh!
  • I find exercise will always bring me out of a bad mood. I feel so energized when I am finished that I am a million times more productive with whatever I am doing that day. When I give in to comfort food I end up feeling worse. I know that however good it tastes going in my mouth that I am going to feel guilty later so it just isn't worth it. Exercise is a natural pick me up.
  • You beat me to it, Jen . Guess great Jens think alike!

Exercise has exactly that effect on me, too. Tonight I was in the WORST mood before the gym -- still sore, feeling discouraged and down. But by the time I finished up 45 minutes of cardio, I nearly ran home. I was in such a great mood. I never would have believed it before, but it's so much better than food as a quick pick-me-up. Love those endorphins!
  • I'm with Howie and Tara on the book and cup of coffee (out of the house, so I don't have to look at the mess). Other things: listening to disco music or 80s music, dancing, some sort of beauty treatment--even getting my eyebrows waxed (yes, I'm a masochist), curling up with a magazine.
  • Making website layouts really pick me up, especially when people comment on the new layout.

I also love cuddling up on my couch and watching a movie with my cat sleeping on my tummy.
  • Basically, outdoors activities keep me from thinking about food. What I like most is taking very long walks in isolated forest - mountain areas…..No fast-food joints there!!! Close contact with nature also brings me peace of mind. In the winter, I switch to Ski and Snowshoeing.

• If it's nice outside I like to take my dog for a walk, however in winter it's usually too cold. So anything that makes me use my hands...
    playing on the computer
    knitting/crocheting
    scrapbooking
    Anything that makes time go by and keeps me busy. If I'm useing my hands for good, I won't be using them for evil (food to mouth)!
    I'm a bored eater so this works well for me.
    Or, call a friend. There is noting worse than someone eating while you're talking to them!