What's a vole?

• Here ya go. They are sort of cute, aren't they?
    http://www.psy.fsu.edu/faculty/wang/labpics.html
  • Geez, now I'm singing "Volare, ut oh!" I hate it when a song gets stuck in your head.
    I think I'll go treadmill to the mental music!
  • How can you think that they are cute??
  • Well, they are furry and have those Walt Disney eyes. Some people in here have rats and mice for pets, you know. It's a matter of personal taste. guess. I sure would not want one in my house, however.
  • LC, how can you think that they are not?

I LOVE rodents...and want to pet them all! Love the whiskers and love cute little tails! So special.

Regardless of the cute factor, isn't it neat that they mate for life?
  • I have a pet rat! I had two of them, but one died of a weird intestinal problem. The only sad thing is their short lifespan. The one i have still is in her middle-old age. They are cute, but voles make burrows under your garden and generally become a nuisance outside.
  • Geekchic, are you thinking of moles? Voles are really tiny.
    We used to get them in our parents farmhouse occasionally. I remember walking into the kitchen one day, and a vole popped out of the dog bowl with a piece of kibble in it's mouth. The piece of dogfood was bigger than the vole. It was so cute.
  • Moles are different. Geez, now that I think of it, MArigold may have met a mole, not a vole. Back to Google.

There ya go!

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...aquaticus.html
  • mmmmm... all of the voles that I've seen are smaller than a full-grown field mouse.
  • Whatever they are please feel free to keep them with you! lol I scream like a girl when I see any kind of rodent! I found evidence of lil rodents when I was swappin out my pantries!!!!!!!!!! DH will have to take care of it! I'm gonna have him stuff all the pipes and such!
  • Ellis, I love your story! Reminds me a little of Templeton, the rat in Charlotte's Web.

I know some people are squeamish about rodents, but I love them, even bats! And since I'm obsessed with bunnies, of course, did you know that rabbits and hares are NOT rodents? They are Lagomorphs, a different class.

Misty, what's the name of your ratty? It's hard with the short life span to be sure, but it sounds like they are getting great care with you!

Noodles, one of the mods, has several rats, including "Stubbs", the rat in her avatar.
  • My rats were Bonnie and Clyde (both girls though). Bonnie is the one that died recently. She was champagne (albino but a more yellowy coat -- red eyes). Clyde is a blue berkshire (means that the belly is white), like Jerry in Tom&Jerry.
  • Since we do cat rescue and right now have 10 cats around the only rodents that survive around here are Mo, Curly, Zit. Larry died from pneumonia which is common with rats. Zit got his name cuz of his black head. They love to ride on our shoulders. The one we had before these guys was the nicest one ever though, even our vet loved him.

Voles are kind of cute but my cats hunt them with a vengence so the only ones I see are the presents they leave for us in the kitchen. Poor babies.