The serial toaster!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • i have a habit of coming in at night from coaching or college and feeling really hungry so i toast up some bread to make a cheese and marmite sandwich. but realising my guilt and that i'll only make things harder for myself i make up a protein shake instead. a good idea i hear you say but when the tost pops i put it back in the bag. turns out now that out of a 3/4 loaf there is only 2 untoasted bits left lol. which has upset everyone cos i like my toast really really well done.
  • I hope everyone likes cold toast! Mmm I love toast and poached egg for my brekkie/dinner.
  • Why is it that blokes have such weird habits?!
  • What are you going to do with all the toast? I'd probably feed it to the squirrels that live around my house...
  • Hmm quite odd!!

Maybe just have the marmite on toast without the cheese......

Probably fewer calories in it than the protein shake!
  • thats hilarious kudo's to you for not eating it after you've toasted it I don't think I could have resisted the smell i'd have slathered it with butter and ate it
  • I used to crave, and reading this post has brought it all back, a fiddly but delicious post exercise tea - well supper actually cos I always wanted it at 9pm when I got back form teaching 2 hi impact, energetic, classes back-to-back.

My DH would microwave a potato then oven it so it would be waiting for me, crisp (OK burnt a little) and piping hot.

I'd get in and mix up some raw chopped red pepper, spring onions (scallions?) and lo/no fat creme fraiche/soured cream.

The potato got cut into quarters - but not all the way through the skin on the bottom, and the veg cream mix poured on top... I'd eat the crispy (burned) skin and then mush the rest into a swirl that was piping hot in some places and fridge cold in others - bliss!

Apparently this is quite a balanced and healthy meal, but I never cared about that, I just HAD TO HAVE IT TUESDAY NIGHTS!!!

Mashed potato in HUGE quantities gets me every time, but piping hot toast )or crumpets, well any bread procduct) slathered in butter, dripping and.....

EEeeeeeeeeek! Quick get the plug off the toatser!
  • Isn't the whole cold/hot thing wierd?
    I like baked bean sandwiches.....me and my sis tried to make baked bean paté once, working on the principle that it would be a top seller as your beans wouldn't roll off your sarnies/toast, it was absolutley disgusting - donno how baked beans taste any different blended by machine rather than teeth.....
    weird.
  • isnt toast good? i hope so iv started snacking on it granary bread is only 84cal per slice and i always buy the lowest fat butter i can find and only just cover it as thinly as possible so this is about 100calories is this not good ?

i really hope so as it is helping a lot with cravings for sweet things and food in general.
  • yeah toast by itself is ok, spesh if it's helping your cravings! Si's just a psycho who likes his toast with lots of cheese!
  • Baked potato
    Stef, Could you tell me how long you put the potato in the oven and at what temp? I really really want to try your recipe it sounds irresistable and i've got all the ingredients to hand

Thanks

(Have to go and wipe all the drool off my keyboard now)
  • I crave toast with lots of butter.... that is NOT GOOD!
  • I didn't crave toast at all til I read this thread...

But I have no bread in the house anyway, and can't be bothered to go to the shop at this stage of the evening.
  • Oh! ME!!

Sorry Shush! I didn't check this thread out yesterday!

Baked potato: you need to play with this a little to adjust for the size of potato/es, but the average times for a big enough spud are

Microwave on high for 6 minutes

Into a hottish oven for 20 minutes, switch it on to about 180 when you turn on the microwave and throw that spud in there!

If you have a fan oven, just bung the spud into it from cold. This haphazard approach has always turned out great jackets for me!
  • Stef,
    Thanks for getting back to me.That will do me for lunch tomorrow.

I am a bread fiend too and always found it the hardest thing to cut back on,this best thing I ever did was getting a breadmaker home made bread is 10 times more filling than shop bought and it tastes better.