Bok Choy Soup

• I didn't follow a recipe so I sort of expected it to be just mediocre, but it was actually quite good and even my boyfriend liked it.

Ingredients:
    bok choy
    mushrooms (shitake would be good, but I used just plain baby bella mushrooms)
    1 onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    a few scallions
    fat free chicken broth (large 49.5 oz. can)
    black pepper to taste
    ginger to taste (I used powdered, but fresh grated would be much tastier. I will make sure I buy some next time I am at the market. Ginger is very good for you and yummy!)

I sauted the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a little olive oil. If I had fresh grated ginger, I'd probably add it at this point as well. I chopped up the bok choy stalks and added them to saute too. I added the chicken broth and then brought to a low boil. Added some pepper and ginger to taste. Then after about 10 minutes, I put in the bok choy leaves and scallions. I let it simmer for about 15 minutes. You can add the bok choy leaves at the very end if you want them to be a little more crisp.
  • Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to try it. It looks very simple and very tasty.

I like bok choy a lot, but if someone couldn't find it I bet chinese/napa cabbage would make an acceptable substitute.
  • Mmmmm. Looks like lunch to me!