LCFS Week of Nov. 21st

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good morning,

Didn't find anything at the arts & crafts show, but we did find something in one of the little shops where the show was held. We've decided to go back later this week when it's not so crowded and take another look see.

Nikki, thank you for the recipe site. I've already bookmarked it. I'm really anxious to try some of the soup recipes, especially the pumpkin soup and the corn chowder. Glad to hear that the little nuthatch is ok.

Lynn, how did you sleep last night? When we got back from our outing I had a 2 hr. nap, but I was able to fall asleep ok. Unfortunately lately, my problem is staying asleep. I seem to wake up around 2-ish or even earlier, and don't get back to sleep until around 4:00 am. I really think it's because I'm off Premarin.

Anne, hope you're having a good weekend. You certainly deserve it.

Have a good day.
    Aleka
  • Good Morning,
    I am so glad I can drink this stuff and not feel guilty about it anymore. SS is ok, but I can't live with out my caffiene.
    Stripe has decided that no one needs to sleep at night. He now wakes up at 3 am and starts acting up. I can't lock him out of the bedroom, because he digs at the carpet and makes holes in it, Since I just put the new carpet in, that's the last thing I want. DH says to put him in his cat carrier at night, but I think he would just hate that carrier after one night of it and then I'd never get him in it to go see the vet. Stripe really is a devil in a striped outfit.
    I'm finding the wATP 2 mile is getting easier. I weigh in tomorrow and I'm curious to see what it is. The dreaded TOM that never ends started yesterday, so who knows what I will weigh now.
    DH just came home and said he has volunteered to work OT on Christmas eve. I suppose I will go over to one of the girls and have Christmas eve with them, but still, I'm kind of ticked off that he won't be there. He sure picked a bad day to tell me. My emotions are all over the place today, must be a hormonal thing.
    Better go get a shower, have to clean out the pantry today. Nikki
  • A Good Monday Morning to you all,

A week or so ago DH installed a ceiling fan in our bedroom. There is a spot for it with wires and such which the previous owners had covered with a plate, and supposedly there is a switch on the wall that is wired to that spot. The fan does not work. Now, it could be the fan..who knows. So, DH thought an electrician could find out if that area is "hot".

Nikki, it is great not feeling guilty about having real coffee. One thing I can't get over feeling guilty about eating is white potatoes. I wonder what has gotten into Stripes that he's acting that way? Cats are really interesting creatures. I think if you put him in his pet carrier he'd probably be meowing all night and it would be worse for you. Hope your weigh in this morning is a good one.

Here is a recipe I found on HSN BB. I thought it was really easy and thought possibly if any of you may have some very last minute baking to do for Christmas. The person who posted the recipe said they were really good.

Mix one box of Pillsbury Cranberry (or any other flavor) quick bread/muffin mix with 1-1/2 sticks of butter softened at room temperature. (the post said it takes a bit of time) Make 1 Tablespoon sized balls, place on cookie sheet. Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes, until lightly browned.

Hi Anne, Lynn, hope everything is going ok with the both of you.

Have a good day everyone.
    Aleka
  • Good morning,
    DH came home and said he cancelled that OT for Christmas eve. I didn't say anything to him about being disappointed that he'd volunteered, but I'm glad he cancelled. I think it's important to be able to spend a few hours together on Christmas.
    I lost another 2 lbs last week. So, now, I'm down 8 lbs since starting. Not a real rapid loss, but it's a steady one and I like that. When I was low carbing, I"d lose weight really fast initially, then plateau and stay there for ever it seemed. I'm hoping this weight loss will continue to remain steady and not plateau and if it does, doesn't get stuck for too long in one place.
    Today, we are helping DD move into her new house. I made some chili for supper for all of us, so DD won't have to cook. She is working today and won't get home until 730pm. Her BF is home, changing the locks on the doors and moving stuff. We are going to help move the big stuff this afternoon. DD will probably work most of the night putting stuff away. She is a very determined young woman.
    Stripe slept really well last night. Then at 5am, PJ, the female cat started to cry really loud all over the house. I wanted to pull out all my hair, but I swatted her a couple of times on the behind and she acted like I'd committed a mortal sin. She has very tender feelings. She never cries like that, she sleeps practically 24 hours a day and always sleeps good at night. I'm wondering if there isn't a cat hanging around outside that she was meowing at.
    Got to get busy, I'm making some cornbread for Thanksgivings stuffing, Nikki
  • Hi Everyone: Finally a beautiful day. We have been for a long walk in the park on Georgian Bay. Last night was the night from ****. I have told you about my neighbour with the 2 rottweillers. Well they don't walk them but what they do is when they think everyone is asleep they let the dogs out loose. Well last night they wouldn't come back so they are out calling them. When they do it and I mean they do it every night the dogs always come over here and up on the deck which wakes Mya up and starts her barking. Well last night because they kept calling for the dogs and remember we are on water so sound really carries. Mya kept barking to the point that I was up for good. The time is 2:30. I ended up flashing the outside lights at them to shut them up. Finally I fell asleep at approx. 5:45 and at 7 I woke up to DH gaging, the dog had been sick. So up I got to clean that up. I was at Curves by 7:45. DH is nicer than me so the neighbour apoligized to DH. I won't knock on the door because of the dogs but the next time I see anyone outside I will be telling them I have had enough and will be calling the dog catcher in the day and the police at night. Went and lined up to get our names on the list of a new Dr. that is coming to town. I will never be stuck again and not be able to drive to GTA to see a Dr. DH might have to make an appointment for his back. Apparently to get Dr"s to move to smaller centers merchants are offering deals. EG, new cars for cost, builders offering free upgrades. Free taxes, free office space ETC. Not a bad deal. Well I guess I should get on with it as my show (Emmerdale) is coming on in a few minutes. Talk to you tomorrow, and I hope that I am in a better mood.
  • Are we a bunch of sleepy heads or what?
    Poor Lynn, I think I'd be calling the police too. Those dogs are a menace to anything that is moving outside at night. Besides, you have a right to be able to have some peace and quiet at night without dogs that aren't even yours in your yard.
    Got a letter from that place I applied to. They said they chose someone else, based on their qualifications. I wasn't too upset about it, but makes a person wonder if there are that many people trying to get a job that pays so little, what is the job market like for people without degrees and experience?
    I just look at it like, there must be some other opportunity out there that is coming my way and it will be a better job for me.
    Got to wake up DH and get the moving started, take care, Nikki
  • Hi again...

Lynn, hope you can get something done about those dogs. They really are a nuisance. If those dogs came up on my deck I'd be calling the police too.

Nikki, sorry you didn't get that job. But, they say everything happens for a reason. There is something out there for you yet. I honestly do think people are desperate for jobs. Most of the high paying jobs are being sent overseas. That's good news that your DH will be home with you on Christmas Eve.

Aleka
  • Good Morning Everyone:
    I have been running around trying to get my Christmas Shopping done. I
    really don't feel like it, but I have to think about my kids.....It will be hard
    for me to decorate the house but life go's on......

Nikki, sorry you didn't get the job, I agree with Aleka, all things happen for a
    reason, there is probably a better one coming for you. Hey, you lost another 2 pounds!! thats just great!!! I am being forced to work on
    Christmas Eve. I will probably be getting out at noon so its not to to bad.
    I am glad your DH won't be working overtime!

Aleka, I bet you are getting ready for the big Thanksgiving weekend! Do you
    watch the parade? We just had our Santa Claus parade this last weekend.

Lynn, We are suppose to be getting snow Wednesday.......Its beginning to
    look alot like Christmas.........

Have a great day.
    Anne.
  • Hello,

Anne, this holiday season will be tough for you. What helped me after my Dad passed away was, DH & I did something a little different than we would have if my Dad was there with us. When he was alive, we put our tree in the living room and open our gifts there. After he was gone, DH set the tree up in our den and we started opening our gifts in our den. Maybe one small change in routine might help you get through the holidays. Sorry you have to work Christmas Eve Day, but noon isn't bad. Yes, we do watch the Thanksgiving Day parade on TV. But, we won't be able to watch the whole thing this year. It really doesn't seem like Thanksgiving. To me, Thanksgiving is cold, damp, and possibly snow.

Nikki, congratulations on your weight loss! You are doing so well with WW. How were your kitties last night? Did you get much sleep?

Lynn, were you bothered by those dogs at all last night? We have a couple of dogs nearby, don't know which house they're in. They must keep them out on the lanai at night because you can ear them barking and at times it sounds like a dog fight is going on.

Hope you all have a great day.

Aleka
  • Hi All: Another dull and rainy day here today. Was at Curves by 7:20 and we than went to Barrie to shop. Didn't make any head way in the shopping but had a nice lunch out. Anne everyone I have spoke to is getting out at noon. The go train and subway will sure be busy. Yes Christmas will be sad no matter what you do. You just have to do what my mother always said in a situation like yours, "put on a brave face and get on with it" sometimes that helps get you though situations. Congrats Nikki on the weight loss. You will look great for next interview and I too beleive everything happens for a reason. Well slept though the night with no interuptions. They are away!!! wouldn't you know it just when I have reached my boiling point I'm left to simmer That's it for now. Later
  • Hi everyone,

We're still having warm temps. It's been in the 80's. But tomorrow they say we're due for some rain.

Nikki, I want to wish you a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Anne and Lynn, I hope you both have a good day today and tomorrow.

Aleka
  • Hi Everyone: Well we are waiting for our first winter storm. It is very black at the moment. I was at Curves at 7:15 than we did all our running around so we don't have to leave here except to walk the dog. Mya even got her run at the park. I must be in a Thanksgiving mood. We were doing inventory of the freezer and found my left over turkey from our Thanksgiving so and doing a casserole with it for dinner. On that note Aleka & Nikki have a great Thanksgiving. Anne you are lucky, the GTA is getting the storm as rain. Later
  • Hi,
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Aleka. I decided to make a couple of desserts from http://www.shadesofjaim.com/recipes/. I made the cherry chocolate Better than Sex Cake and the Frost on the Pumpkin Pie. It has coconut in it and DH is a coconut nut. I also made some deviled eggs. Tomorrow, I'm making a green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole with reduced calorie and reduced fat recipes I got from Food TV's Calorie Commando. I'll let you know how they all turn out. DD isn't too happy, she thinks if it's reduced calorie, it can't be good. I'm hoping to change her mind tomorrow.
    Night before last, we helped DD #2's BF move the big things over to their new house. It seems like a nice house, lots of room. I could never live there, it's right in the middle of town and there are people around it all the time. She loves the house and he's from St. Louis, so they don't care about that.
    Yesterday, we had a really lousy day. DH took the car to the shop to have a part replaced. Some thing that made the fan run, even when the ignition was turned off. It cost over $200. Then, the other car started to stall when I was driving it. I haven't told DH about that yet, he would melt down.
    DD #1 took her driving test and didn't pass. She just couldn't parellel park. After the test, we drove down the street and she parellel parked just fine. I told her we will drive every day for the next week and she can parellel park 5 times a day. She has an appointment to retake the test next Tuesday. I sure hope she feels more comfortable with it next time. I think she was just nervous. The tester seemed like a nice young woman, so DD will be more comfortable with her next time.
    The last two days, I really fell off my diet and wasn't even able to exercise, I just had too much going on. Today, I'm back on track. I doubt if I'll lose any this week, with Thanksgiving and all, but I'm just hoping not to gain.
    Lynn, good going on the Curves. Sounds like your having so much fun.
    Hey, Anne, hope your day is going ok at work.
    Got to get ready to take DD driving. Then, we will be going over to the other DD's house and get the official grand tour.
    Take care, Nikki
  • HI
    Happy Thanksgiving to Aleka and anyone else reading this thread that is from the US
    I sat down and added up all the points I'd eat if I eat just the bare minimum and it was 19 points. That's 2 oz of turkey, 1/8th cup of gravy, 1/2 cup stuffing, 1/8th of the green bean casserole and 1/8th of the sweet potato casserole with dessert of 1/24th the cake and 1/8th the pie. This looks like alot but I know when I put it on my plate, it's not going to look like my normal Thanksgiving day dinner plate. I'm not going to eat the corn, the deviled eggs or have seconds. Well, that's the plan anyway, We'll see how well I really do. Still, if I keep in mind that I'm eating 19 points, I think I will be able to stick more to what I plan on.
    I've been up since 4am, thanks to my little Striped devil. It was a good thing, I had time to exercise that way. Went over to DD and helped her make the dressing and get the bird in the oven. I just have to put the casseroles together and get them in the crockpot. Think I'll exercise one more time, that way, my metabolism will be reved up. I haven't gained yet this week, but I haven't lost either.
    Well, break time is over, so better get the casseroles going, Have a good day, Nikki
  • Good morning everyone

We had a very nice Thanksgiving. We went out to dinner with my ILs and had a very nice meal. The best part.....NO COOKING OR CLEANUP!!! It seemed really weird to us weatherwise. We had rain overnight Wed., and it was so humid on Thurs. that we had to turn our air on. Now, I'm used to putting heat on, but air?? The air changed dramatically during the afternoon. It really got chilly and it's only supposed to be in the 70's today.

Nikki, how was your Thanksgiving? Did you stick to your 19 points? When I saw your post I remembered something when I was going to WW a couple years ago. If you make mashed potatoes with chicken broth instead of milk, I think you can have 1 cup for the same amt. of points for 1/2 cup. I'm not very sure of this, but I do remember our leader saying you could have more mashed potatoes if you made it that way. I looked for all the info. I had from that time, but couldn't find it, so I must've thrown it out. At that time I still had SS mentality, where potatoes were a I'm sorry about your DD not getting her drivers license the first time out. I won't parallel park, and I will drive 5 miles out of my way so I won't have to do so. Good luck to your DD on Tues. when she takes her test. Don't be discouraged if you haven't lost any weight this week. It does happen, and you probably will see a big loss next week. Sometimes I'd go get weighed and only lose .2 of a lb. But, the following week I'd have lost 2 lbs.

Lynn, how much snow did you get? I bet it looked like a winter wonderland outside. This time of year I do miss the cold and snow.

Anne, how are you doing? I hope isn't giving you too much grief.

We'll probably start putting up Christmas decorations today. I've seen a lot of houses already decked out and this was before Thanksgiving. Some people had so much stuff on their lawn you couldn't see the grass. Some little gift shop is having 1/2 price on ornaments this weekend, starting today. I'm looking for some Floridian type ornaments to send to my cousin and our neighbors in NH. Hopefully I'll be able to find something. That will be the only shopping we'll be doing today.

DH & I wanted to spend our first Thanksgiving in our new house, so we're going to have another dinner tonight, with turkey, mashed potatoes, and various vegetables.

Gotta get going to start my day.
    Take care,
    Aleka