CORE Side Dishes & Salads

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • Mixed this up last night and it turned out sooo good

cover bottom of baking dish with zuchinni slices
    layer squash on next
    add layer of jalepano, diced ( dont leave this out it really makes the dish)
    layer of soy mozerella
    layer of tomato slices
    more zuchinni and squash
    top with cornmeal, parmesean cheese, sprinkle canola or olive oil on top.
    Bake untill crust if crispy and veggies are tender....
    enjoy
  • My Core scalloped potatoes ( or potatoes au gratin as most people call them)

spray small baking dish with pam
    add layer of sliced potatoes
    add layer of sauteed onions (use your good oil for the day, cook till slightly brown)
    add another layer of sliced potatoes

sauce:
    In pot add 3 cups of skim milk, cook till little bubbles start to form around edege. Add 3-4 slices of ff cheese slices ( or brick cheese) stir until melted. I tried to reduce this but it didnt work for me... When cheese is melted pour sauce over potatoes in baking dish. Cover with tin foil and bake untill potatoes are tender 350 degrees....like I said it dosnt look pretty,,,the milk and cheese sort of separated but it sure tasted good with the lean ham.
    enjoy!
  • Onion soup mix potatoes

slice 4-5 potatoes thinly
    shake 1 pkg of onion soup mix over potatoes
    add 1 cup of water and mix
    cover with tin foil, bake 350 degrees till tender
    enjoy!
  • Chicken fruit Salad(Core)

1 big can chicken
    ff miracle whip
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1 big stalk celery(cut in large diced)
    1/2 cup seedles grapes (cut in half).
  • Warning.....This is NOT a Core recipe. I'm giving it to you all in it's original form because it gets RAVE reviews at potlucks. Now that I'm looking at it, it would be REALLY easy to convert to Core with points for the Doritos. Don't leave out the Doritos, though, because they really make the salad. If anyone makes it Core and it's good, I'd like to know. Of course, there is no way to Coreify Taco Flavored Doritos!

Taco Salad

5 oz bag Taco Flavored Doritos
    1/2 pound lean ground sirloin (browned and drained)
    1 Medium Onion (raw and chopped)
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
    2 diced tomatoes
    1/2 head shredded iceberg lettuce (I don't usually bother to shred. I either tear it or slice it with a knife.)

Mix all but Doritos in a bowl.

Sauce:

1/2 cup Mild taco sauce
    1 cup Mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)

Stir with a whisk to mix well. Chill sauce.

Right before serving, put Doritos in bowl. Then add sauce and toss. Double for party.

I guess you could add chilis or black olives althought I never have. People love it and it is an often requested recipe.
  • This looks really yummy. Posted by Carol at Barbosdietkitchen.com

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni Salad
    from "Cooking Healthy with a Man in Mind" by JoAnna Lund

For all those men who enjoy buffalo chicken wings at their favorite sports bar,
    here's a delicious pasta salad that echoes those same flavors, but without the
    fat-- *and* the sticky fingers. It's a real "go-for-the-gusto" dish. Serves 4
    (1 full cup)

1/2 cup Kraft Fat Free Blue Cheese Dressing
    1/4 cup Kraft fat-free mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) diced cooked chicken breast
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 cups cold cooked elbow macaroni, rinsed and drained{use whole wheat for CORE}
    1 cup diced fresh tomatoes

In a large bowl, combine blue cheese dressing, mayonnaise, Tabasco sauce, and
    paprika. Add chicken, celery, and macaroni. Mix well to combine. Stir in
    tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Gently stir again just
    before serving.

HINT: 1 1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni usually cooks to about 2 cups.
  • Posted by Donna at Barbo's site.

BASIL TOMATO SALAD

Recipe By :Barb Gumieny, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Rice

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3 cups cooked brown rice
    2 medium tomatoes -- chopped
    1 medium cucumber -- seeded and chopped
    1 small red onion -- chopped

1. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, basil and pepper. Add rice,
    tomatoes, cucumber and onion; toss. Chill

Source:
    "Taste of Home's Low-Fat Country Cooking 2004"
  • i am thinking of taking this to a potluck this thursday. i'll have to add pts for the walnuts.

Brown Rice Salad with Apples
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

3 cups cooked brown rice
    1 Granny Smith Apple, diced
    2 celery stalks, finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup walnut pieces (omitted and added sliced almonds to individual servings)
    1 cup cooked chicken, cubed
    3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    3 tablespoons olive oil (I changed to 2 tablespoons)
    Salt and pepper

In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice with all other ingredients. Toss mixture lightly. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
  • Here's one from WW. It sounds great to me since I love avocado so much. I'll be bringing it to the next part I go to.

Layered Mexican Bean Dip

POINTS® value | 2
    Servings | 16
    Preparation Time | 18 min
    Cooking Time | 0 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

side dishes | This zesty dip is always a hit at parties. Jazz it up by tossing on diced bell peppers and shredded lettuce. Or get spicy by adding jalapeno slices.

Ingredients

16 oz fat-free canned refried beans
    3 medium avocado, Haas, finely mashed
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1 cup fat-free sour cream
    2 Tbsp Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning Mix, or other brand
    1/2 cup Kraft Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese, or other brand
    1 small tomato(es), chopped
    2 medium scallion(s), sliced
    10 medium olive(s), black, sliced or chopped
    2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped

Instructions

1. Spread beans evenly over bottom of a 9 X 13-inch glass baking dish or a medium-size glass bowl.

2. Combine avocado, salt and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Spread avocado mixture over beans; top with sour cream.

3. Sprinkle fajita seasoning over sour cream layer. Next, layer remaining ingredients on top in order listed.

4. Serve immediately with jicama slices and other fresh vegetables for dipping, or chill until ready to use. Yields about 1/4 cup per serving.

© 2006 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2006 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
    WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc
  • I read this in a magazine lately -- someone asked how to keep green beans looking pretty and green and crisp.

The recommendation was to take them straight from the boiling water and plunge them into ice water to stop the cooking process. It also said if you'll place them in a metal colander, and then put the colander in a large pan to boil them, it makes it easy to remove the colander from the boiling pan and put it into a bowl of ice water.
  • Tex-Mex Rice and Beans
    modified from Racheal Ray's recipe

1/4 - 1/2 diced onion
    1 can kidney beans
    1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
    1 - 2 cups cooked brown rice
    hot sauce (like Frank's) as desired

Saute onion in oil until brown. Add kidney beans and heat through. Mix beans and onions into cooked brown rice. Add hot sauce as desired.

I know this is a very vague recipe but it is easy to modify according to your tastes. It is excellent! I have also used pinto beans instead of kidney and they were also good (though I think the kidney beans are better).
  • got this at bcb today:

Mexican fiesta salad
    This is the best salad for BBQs. People always ask for the recipe. The original recipe calls for much more oil, but I used less oil and added some lime zest to add some flavor. It serves about 6.

1 15oz can of corn
    1 15oz can of black beans
    1/2 red or purple onion, diced fine
    1 red pepper, diced fine
    Fresh cilantro to taste
    1 tbs lime zest
    Juice of one lime
    6 tsp olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together and let it sit several hours (at least) or overnight. The colors are beautiful and I think(hope) it's all core but the oil. I eat one serving and count the oil towards my daily 2 oils.
  • got this at bcb today:

2 core cornbread recipes
    Denser Cornbread

2 cups cornmeal
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
    1/4 cup water
    1 egg

Preheat the oven and the skillet to 450. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl mix the wet ingredients. When the oven is preheated, combine the wet & the dry, stirring until just mixed. Pull the skillet out of the oven, pour in the batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

18 pts. for the whole recipe, I cut it into 12 pieces, 1.5 pts. each

Fluffier Cornbread

2 cups cornmeal
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
    2 eggs

Preheat the oven and the skillet to 450. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl mix the wet ingredients. When the oven is preheated, combine the wet & the dry, stirring until just mixed. Pull the skillet out of the oven, pour in the batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
  • This is from Boot Camp Buddies and it sounds delicious. I'll be trying it soon. I love blasamic vinaigrette and it's a great way to get in our healthy oil. I'll serve it cold but I'm sure it's up to your own personal taste.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Yummy, had this on a steak salad tonight. YUMMY!

3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon brown sugar twin
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/3 cup olive oil
    Warm oil in pan with crushed garlic to allow garlic to infuse oil. Add other ingredients, and whisk. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Serve warm.
  • dwlz

Mango Salad

2 mangoes, sliced into long thin strips
    1 red onion, slices into long thin strips
    Juice of 1-2 key limes
    1 tbsp finely shredded fresh mint or basil
    Coarsely ground fresh black pepper, to taste (it should have a bit of a bite)
    Small amount of crumbled feta cheese (fat free to be core)

Toss everything together and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Serve.