Healthy breakfast ideas

• Does anyone have suggestions for healthy (relatively quick or can be prepared in advance) breakfast other than cereal or breakfast/granola bars? I'd prefer something without a lot of sugar.

Any ideas? Thoughts, recipes or whatever are welcome. I normally only have about 10 minutes tops for breakfast in the morning, but I can prepare stuff the night before if the recipes allows.
  • Have you tried oatmeal w/ skim milk. You can microwave in a couple of minutes (even the old fashioned variety). Also, I sometimes bake little omelettes (loaded with veggies) in muffin pans - refrigerate and heat them up in the morning. They are good at room temperature as well. Another idea is fruit. You can either have it whole or make a smoothie.
  • They have alot of good recipes for oatmeal on www.quakeroatmeal.com
  • How about a breakfast enchilada! Place scrambled eggs and a little shredded cheese on a corn tortilla and roll it up, and drizzle salsa on it. Zap in the microwave to make sure the tortilla gets heated, too. You could probably cook the eggs in advance, then zap to warm.

Breakfast doesn't have to be traditional, either. You could eat a sandwich, a diet pizza, leftovers, etc.
  • little omelets

i like the idea of the little muffin omelets. can you freeze those?

thanks
    gen
  • There is a recipe in the Eating For Life cookbook - I don't have it handy at the mo' but it is for canadian bacon, with sugar free apricot preserves spread on top and baked until warm. It sounds delicious!
  • Here's a recipe to make th little omelets. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40253 You can vary the ingredients, and yes you can freeze them.
  • Breakfast
    Here are a few things I do:

1. Hard-boiled eggs, sometimes with salt, sometimes with some salsa. These are easy to make ahead.

2. Low-fat plain yogurt, sweetened with Equal or whatever you prefer, mixed with granola cereal.

3. I've been doing this the most lately. When I'm really on the run I often just pick up a Nutri-Grain bar, but that doesn't really hold me until lunch a lot of the time. So what I've started doing is supplementing it with a small can of V-8 (140 for the bar + 35 for the V8). That holds me very well.

K.

• thanks for the link, i'll try those. sounds good

gen
  • Apricot-Hazelnut Oats: Combine in a bowl: 1/2 cup instant oats, 1/4 cup minced dried apricots, 1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts and 1 cup nonfat milk. Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and oatmeal is tender. Drink with 4 ounces of apple cider.
  • Here's one I'm trying tomorrow morning for breakfast. I'm excited.

Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese with Chives
    4 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
    2 ounces diced smoked salmon
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    pinch of black pepper

serve on whole grain black bread

8 ounces calcium-fortified orange juice
  • 1 toasted whole-wheat English muffin
    topped wtih 2 tablespoons reduced fat peanut butter and one tablespoon all fruit preservces
    1 grapefruit
  • Here's one you may have to cook the night before and heat up in the morning.

Mexican Cornbread
    Serves 6
    Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook time: 17 minutes

Cooking Spray
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 cup nonfat milk
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons corn oil
    1/2 cup frozen shoepeg (small white) corn, thawed
    1/2 cup prepared salsa
    1/3 cup grated reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese orreduced fat Mexican cheese blend.

Preheat overn to 400F. Coat an 8 inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
    In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne pepper. Mix dry ingredients well with a fork, make a well in the center and set aside.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together nonfat milk, egg and corn oil. Stir in corn, salsa and cheese. Fold milk mixture into dry ingredients mixture and stir together gently until batter is just blended. Pour patter into prepared pan. Bake 17 minutes, or until a wodden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Serve warm or chilled.

Nutrition Score (serving size: 1/6 of cornbread): 262 calories, 25% fat (7g; 1.8g saturated), 60% carbs (39g), 15% protein (10g), 4g fiber, 169mg calcium, 2mg iron, 64 mg sodium
  • One of my out the door favorites is a homemade "Egg McMuffin". I take a light english muffin (I use Village Hearth Brand, but I don't know if their regional or not), 1/4 cup Egg Beaters (cheese & chive flavor or Garden Vegetable flavor) and a slice of fat free cheese. I toast the muffin. Pour the Egg beaters in the bottom a coffee mug that's been sprayed with Pam and cooked on high in the microwave for 1-1/2 minutes. I dump the cooked egg beaters on the muffin, top with the cheese and nuke an additional 20 seconds to melt the cheese. I'm not exactly sure how many calories, but it's only 3 WW points. I add a cup of calcium fortified OJ and am out the door.