I wanted one!

• Jack150 suggested I show some of my writing.
    It's all for fun and it's true. It's about life and how you never know what is in store for you.

The fitness center where I work out is a huge two level building. There are stairs that lead down to the weights, cardio machines, tanning, and child care. As I was leaving this afternoon and preparing to go up the stairs, there was a young mother trying to make her way down the stairs. She had one child on her hip, and a big diaper bag on the other side. She was about three steps down the stairs and was trying to coax her other child down the stairs.

I stepped aside at the bottom to let them all come down and watched as the little girl at the top of the stairs tried to unravel the mystery of the stairs. She had mastered walking, but she had not mastered walking down stairs. She was standing at the top of the stairs, marching in place, laughing, and waiting for the magic to happen.

I realized it was not going to happen, so I told the woman I would carry her down. I went up the stairs and snatched her up by reaching around her waist. I was carrying her pretty much like a running back carrying a football. That’s when it happened! I was looking down at this perfect little body in my hand. I was feeling her breathe! I was looking at those little curls on the back of her head, and suddenly realized that I wanted one!!!!!

I swear to you on a stack of Bibles a mile high that if that woman had said, “You can have that one, just make sure you take care of her,” I would have taken her to the truck.
    If that woman had said, “That will be twenty bucks mister for the fun of carrying her down,” I would have written her a check. I wanted one!!
    I went out to my truck and threw my gym gear in the truck-box. As I was fumbling for my keys, I looked down at my hand, the memory was still there. I wanted one.