"Joe's Special"

• Joe's Special

2 tbsp SBD-friendly margarine
    1/4 cup onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 lb very lean ground beef
    1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained well) or one bunch fresh spinach, washed and chopped
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
    1 cup of your favorite reduced-fat cheese, cubed

Melt butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Saute' onion until golden brown. Add garlic and ground beef; cook until browned. Add spinach. Blend in salt, pepper and oregano. Simmer about 5 minutes. Add cheese and cook just until cheese begins to melt.

Makes 4-6 servings

Enjoy, Leashless
  • This looks good! I think I might try it tonight!!

lauren
  • wow i made this tonight for dinner on a whim and i am so glad I did! this was so good that it made me feel like i was cheating! i used low fat cheddar jalapeno block cheese and who ever joe is... THANK YOU! this recipe is now on my fridge.

lisa
  • I made this tonight and it was delicious! I added a bit more garlic and spices just because I tend to like more seasoning. I was concerned that the portion might be a bit small if I made it into 4 or 5 servings, but surprisingly it was very filling. I will be using this recipe frequently. Thank you!!
  • I made this tonight and actually put it in a whole wheat tortilla (hence making it a phase two dish) but wow, it was great and very filling (I added extra garlic and spices as well)...
  • Joe's Special eggs?
    I see everyone likes this but what about the eggs? Is that what would make this recipe so high in fat? I have been looking at the "regular" Joe's Special and was surprised to see fat at 28 grams. Thanks for your reply & I guess I will try, i wonder if egg beaters are less fattening if the eggs are the culpret.
  • Eggs are allowed on South Beach. You could cut the fat by using Egg Beaters.
    (Note that this thread is over eight years old.)
  • Rosehips, you could make this ground extra lean turkey breast or 97% lean ground beef, and that would lower the fat considerably.
  • Am I missing something or did I overlook eggs somewhere in the recipe??? *shrugs*
  • You are right! Rosehips is a new person and I just replied to her question without reading the recipe!
  • Hey, but it looks good! Thanks for bringing it up!
  • Quote: You are right! Rosehips is a new person and I just replied to her question without reading the recipe!
    Look, now, I'm too old for y'all to try confusing me like that!!!

I kid, I kid. I thought maybe I needed more coffee, LOL