Core Support Board

You're on Page 1 of 21
Go to
  • I am following the Core Program On-Line. If there are others choosing the Core Program, lets support each other on this thread. I know there are going to be a lot of questions and what one person doesn't get another one will. First let's say why we chose to switch. I like the idea of not having to measure and count points (except flex). However, the years of portion control from the points system will help me not to over do. I suspose we will still need to journal so that we can track our progress or more importantly lack of.
  • I'd love to join you but I can't get to a WW meeting until Saturday so won't be actually starting until then. Like you, I did the WW exchange program and loved it because it taught me how to eat nutritiously. I still write everything down because I find it keeps me on track. My pet rant is that 60% of Americans are now overweight and they insist on eating lots of snacks, carbs and junk foods and can't understand why they are gaining. Personally, I think there should be a 10% tax on the stuff to go for the increased medical care these people will need. Now that smokers are in the minority, watch out - the government is looking for a new crusade!
  • Today was the first day for me. I did ok. Used 4 flex points cause I ate fruit yogurt--can't understand why it isn't a core food since fruit is and ff yogurt is. I also had a cheese stick. But I had egg and cantaloupe for breakfast, salad with boiled egg for lunch (too much egg?) and stir fried chicken with veggies and brown rice for dinner. I also had raw veggies and grapes for a snack.

I look forward to comparing notes with you next week, Susan.

Look forward to your
  • I'm in with the core plan and very excited about it. As I mentioned in another thread -I am a little concerned that when I added up my points for the day (just to see) I only had 15. For me - its going to be important to figure out the core foods that I like AND maintain a reasonable number of total calories and/or points. Once I get this down - I'll feel a lot more confident.
  • I'd like to join
    I got the new Core info today and I'm really excited to try it. I think its a great idea to learn what "satisfied" feels like. I'm anxious to get some recipes.Oh, and I have a question: say like I want a potato at lunch,does that mean I can't have pasta for dinner because I already had my starch?
  • Does the new Core Plan include a Restaurant Guide and is it different than the one we received with the Flex Plan?
  • Rose - There are new restaurant and food companion guides. They include points for all foods and checkmarks next to foods and restaurant items that are core foods.

p.s. There are not a lot of core foods in the types of restaurants listed, except the obvious choices like salad.
  • Thanks, Susie! How are you doing on the Core Plan? Since I eat out a lot, maybe the Flex Plan will work out better for me?
  • Ruffles, the way I understand the plan is that you can have the starch at one meal a day only. I don't mind that too much since I usually only ate potatoes or rice at dinner anyway.
    I admit eating out will be a little more challenging but you can always use the 35 flex points for a weekend meal out. I don't usually eat out during the week anyway so I don't see that a problem for me. I usually always eat the salad bar when we eat out anyway--I just love veggies!
    I had a big glass of milk at lunch and actually poured some of it out cause I was full! I am still using portion control I learned on points just not measuring it.
    I really like not having to measure my fruit. I can just grab a bunch of grapes and throw them in my snack kit for the day and eat what I want of them and leave the rest.
  • Hi there!
    I started the core plan yesterday. Not sure if I'll stick with it or go back to points... we'll see. I wasn't hungry though yesterday and I am always starving, and that was a very good thing. I usually have a feeling like I am starving in the afternoons and at "bare bones" for having enough food. Have to admit that in order to eat and feel satisfied, I was sacrificing certain things like milk and fruit, due to the points. I gleefully had a plum yesterday for lunch with kidney beans and chicken, it felt "glorious" to have that fruit and not have to count it. I used three flex points for the day, one for salad dressing with dinner and two for my breakfast, that I had before going to my meeting and getting the core info. I also had a bag of 94% ff microwaved popcorn (core) as an afternoon snack with water.
    I am thinking of examining experimental recipe combinations. I didn't have enough money to buy the new core program cookbook yesterday, but did (regretfully) buy the two new "companions" the food guide and eating out guide. I regret the eating out guide and the other guide, I reserve judgement on for now, it's probably a good idea to have as it does encompass more choices. The eating out guide is "pointless" (get the humor?) as on this core plan there is almost nothing one can eat out with except using flexpoints. Even Applebees is now using up flexpoints, though we all know in our hearts some of the foods are core foods. Hope they come up with reasonable core plus point allowances for certain things down the road. Also, in the food compaion guide the ww frozen entrees are all done up in points, and we all know some of the foods in those are "core" foods too, so not sure how to count those at all. Their sales on frozen foods will probably plumet due to this oversite of theirs, so hopefully they will come up with an analysis of core plus 2 points or something like that????
    However, knowing I can have beef, a baked potato and a salad at a "good" restaraunt and knowing they are "core" foods does help. I'd have to use points for lite dressing, but that isn't bad. I worry about fast food places, but most of these places now have a grilled chicken salad. Though the guide doesn't give that as "core", one can judge those as core, I think, and include points for things like croutons or cheese if they are on there, or ask that they be left off. All the salad dressings at places are pointed out as well, some are suprisingly 3 points, some are not depending on the place you choose to eat at. Wendys is a good choice for a plain baked potato and their small chilli is 4 points (but maybe should be core plus 2 points? due to the beans and meat that are core???) and their side salad is "core". Their ff french dressing is only 2 points for a packet and I only use about half the packet anyway. So, at Wendys, one could have a good sized "dinner" with a baked potato, pour the chili over top of the potato and a side salad. You would technically use 5 flex points, however I still think that maybe the chili shouldn't count as much? But, in order to go with their program, totally, one must count the full 4 points.
    I'm thinking of creating pizzas out of broiled eggplant slices with diced tomatoes, ff cheese and even hamburger on them. Sounds interesting. All those foods are core, so they would be a good "meal".
    I am also considering (as time permits) making oatmeal into a "flour" in my blender (as oatmeal is a core food) and making a pizza crust concoction out of that and adding toppings. One can take Splenda, mix it with cinnamon and bake an apple with oatmeal, cinnamon and splenda on top, maybe mixed with a tiny bit of margarine (1 point) and make a "mock" apple crisp kind of thing? I'm really brainstorming here.... we all need to "think outside the box", right?
    If I can't come up with a really good and fast pizza substitute, I will probably end up using at least 10 - 15 of my flex points in a week on pizza, can't live without it!
    Can't wait to see, on this thread, or elsewhere, other people's thoughts on recipe ideas. I was kind of astounded that bread was not a core food, even a high fiber bread. However, lite bread is one point for two slices and not all that bad to work with, I guess. Maybe they will come up with core bread or maybe the cookbook will reveal something.
    My 13 year old daughter wants to do the core program, however, she starts school next week. I was already having trouble getting ww ideas for her on the flex program, but this makes it even harder. Any thoughts on that? She's not a good candidate for bringing (never returns containers!) soups and salads to school.
    Last night, for dinner, I had two ears of corn with ff "butter" spray (all core!), roast beef (core) and salad (core) with lite dressing (one point). I left the table feeling very happy and satisfied. That meal might have been 11 points, but I didn't want to track it. I also bought and make, with skim mild, ff and sf chocolate pudding and that was dessert (core).
    Today, I may eat core, totally, and try journalling as well and checking the points of what I am eating - not sure if that is a good idea or not!
    Well, it's off to have a "core" breakfast which I will greatly enjoy due to a new variety of foods that I percieve I can have now - though we all know with flexpoints I could have had them anyway!
    Please do post what you guys are eating and how it's working, I want to learn!
    Linda in NH
  • This is interesting! I am trying the core program because I had gotten into some pretty bad habits. Getting to the core of eating seems like a great way for me to go right now. I absolutely want to lose weight.
    Yesterday I had a bowl of oatmeal with milk for breakfast, a banana for snack, veggie baked beans for lunch (and stopped eating when I was satisfied!), a homemade cole slaw (ff mayo, onion,vinegar, Splenda, salt & pepper over store shredded carrots and cabbage)for afternoon snack, steak, potato for dinner, and 94% micro popcorn for snack. I was satisfied, but craved chocolate. Looking back on the day, I needed to boost my milk but because of the sizes of the cole slaw and banana I hit the number of veggies I aimed for, protein was fine, and I was happy. I went to bed without the chocolate and am thinking that if I can "cold turkey" away from even very low point processed foods I'll be ahead of the game.

I think the wonderful thing about WW's is that they are responding to their members' needs. Point is, if Flexpoints is working keep on it. If you're looking for a change, this may do the trick. I like the idea of serving sizes being up to me. I think it's going to help me analyze whether I'm hungry or "looking" for food. Good luck to everyone.

Judy
    234/221/getting tired of being so heavy!
  • I too, am excited about the Core program. Re-Joined WW last night and the program seems very doable. The big part for me is that the responsibility is all on ME. I will have to really focus on my own level of "full ness" instead of eating points when I am not hungry(in order to get enuf points in for a day).

Counting points make me crazy after awhile.

The Core list of foods seems nice...I love the idea that fruit is OK. I tried SBD for awhile, but couldn't handle the very limited fruit and starches.

According to my information that I got at the meeting last night (and I asked questions of the leader, and the WW Trainer rep that was there), here's how the starch issue was explained to me: You can have either potatoes or whole wheat rice or whole wheat pasta at one meal per day. There is no limits set on the rest of the grains list (which includes other starchy veggies). Of course, the 100% whole wheat cereal is limited to once per day too.

I really feel positive and motivated about this alternative program.....looking forward to giving it a go!

Shelle
  • for derry
    Good Morning Ladies,
    Just wanted to comment on a couple things especially for derry.............
    I love reading what members are saying and wont comment on everything but the feedback is great.

The chili at Wendy's.....you are correct.you need to count it all points because even though it has beans and beef.the beef is not the lean beef.

Oatmeal blended for pizza would not work if you want to count it as Core because page 24 tells you the cereal needs to be with milk or yogurt.However you could have oatmeal and count it as points for your crust. I love pita brad or ff tortillas for crust.

RUFFLes.........you ask something I dont remember what but the answer is YES!

As a Leader I lurk the boards but wont post a lot because sometimes people around the WW boards get "testy" and I could live without added stress. But if I can help and answer simple questions I will sometimes.

The best information source all of us have ( including myself) is reading the Week One Getting Started Book.it is clear as crystal. TRUST yourself on this!
    Ideas from others are great.................but learn the program from the book!

I am on my 3 rd week of Core and love it.of course I love Flex too! I have lost 4 pounds as of 2nd weigh in.

I make chicken fahitas.only have to count the ff shell.love cooking in that oil again!
    I make salmon patties......salmons & eggs core...crackers points (used ff)fried them in that oil again!
    I have made veggie soup this morning..with lean ground beef...............CORE
    Omelets with onions and peppers and fried that potato in oil!(Core)

Hubby & I sit at the table and say "Core..Core......Core"

Hubby & I are eating well...in fact better than ever!

Hope you dont mind my comments!

Enjoy whatever plan you choose!

Just remember CHOICE not CHANCE determines destiny! Author Unknown!

Cin
  • Cin, why would anyone mind your comments? Being a leader and having you here is fantastic! There might be so many questions! Even you guys are new to this as well, so talking about it is essential!
    I am wondering if there is a misconception, though, with a few people here about starches that we can and should clear up. Someone mentioned that one should only have ONE starch a day, I re-read my week 1 info, p. 24, and didn't see that exactly stated anywhere, or did I miss it?
    What I did see, though, was to limit the servings of whole wheat pasta or brown rice or potatoes to one per say, the rest of the "starches" are all listed together with grains and cereals and they are not suggesting one limits those. Though they do say at the bottom of pg. 24 that puffed wheat, rice, shreeded wheat and 100% bran cereals that do not contain added sugar are limited to one meal a day and must be eaten with fat free milk or plain yogurt.
    The do not say, by the way, that rolled oats must be eaten with milk to be core, though. So, maybe I could still "play" with it a bit to see if I can make something.
    I was actually thinking of making oatmeal and then almost making a pancake kind of thing with it, using non-stick spray - if I can get it to hold together? Then, I could make pizza over top of it. I love oatmeal bread, so was thinking this could work? Who knows unless you try stuff! I was also thinking of making an oatmeal "flour" in my blender and using that with some yeast and other ingredients to make a mock pizza dough. Still might try it to see if I am creative enough!
    Have any of you made homemade potato pancakes from onion, egg, grated potato and cooked them on a griddle with non-stick spray? These are all core ingredients, so maybe making them and serving them with ff sour cream and no sugar added applesauce would work with this and by YUMMY! Again, I am totally trying to use what I know about cooking (why I need to go to ww!) and be as creative as possible!
    Interestingly enough (can't get off the need to journal yet, I guess?) I journalled and "pointed" my food that I had yesterday and came in exactly at 21 points. I allowed myself 20 points, plus did time on my treadmill which would have earned me one point on the "old" flex plan. I actually ate exactly what ww would have allowed me on the flexpoint program anyway! I did select totally different foods that I might normally have had to acheive this.
    This morning, I might have gone a bit overboard, we'll see how the day ends up! I made a fantastic omlet this morning! Was sooo good, must tell you guys. I pointed it all out and was a bit higher than I might normally be for a breakfast, but we aren't exactly supposed to point out these things - yet old habits die hard and I keep thinking I ought to use the points in a way in combination with this core thing to keep my portions in control. I think it would be so easy to lost control if one doesn't hold the reigns in a bit???
    At any rate, must tell you guys about the omlett. I would recommend perhaps one egg and 1/4 cup egg substitute, though? I used two eggs that I beat with S+P.
    While I was preparing that, I sauteed some onion and red and green pepper (I buy the onion and pepper frozen in a "stir fry mix" bag to use as shortcuts for cooking up stuff quick. I chopped a few mushrooms and tossed them in, all sauteed in non-stick spray, of course.
    Then, in the omlet I used canned (always have some open in a container for quick stuff, so good over pasta - which will now be whole wheat pasta!) diced tomatoes, the veggies and 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese. This omlet was super good and I was thrilled to have REAL eggs for a change vs. egg substitute, which I consider a "shadow" of a real egg and just doesn't have the taste and flavor.
    But, if I do this again, I would like to cut the "points" or should I say "impact" on the body by mixing one real egg with 1/4 c egg substitute. I would save a point, or calories, or whatever, but still maintain the flavor. Both eggs and egg substitute are core, but I am thinking that one must use the knowledge one has learned with points to make this core program work really well? Just my thinking "out loud".
    At any rate, lunch was kidney beens, leftover roast beef (eye round, core) and tomato soup. No cravings for an after lunch piece of chocolate or "something more" today. I'm not doing my mid-afternoong craving/starving thing today at all and feel as if I can make it until dinnertime, though maybe snacking on some carrots or something later? We'll see.
    I worked out and went on the treadmill as well. Today, though, I figured out my points so far and I've only got 8 left for the day....again, I know I don't need to be figuring out points, but I am fascinted in terms of thinking how these core foods actually do "fit" in with BOTH the ww programs in a way. One has to be sensible about portions, etc.
    Judy, I am a person who craves chocolate constantly and last night having the sugar free, fat free chocolat pudding (made with skim milk) was satisfying. I only allowed myself one 1/2 cup serving and COULD have had two, but stopped myself from overdoing it! I noticed that ff and sugar free hot cocoa is core as well, and that might help you out.
    I'm enjoying the diversity of this.
    Linda
    I'm going to "test" core a bit tonight as I have to eat out. My son is performing somewhere and we won't be home for dinner. We eat frequently at this one place, their main theme is pizza (of course the one item I crave) but I know thier menu well. They serve what is called a "chicken ka-bob salad". It comes with a roll, but I never eat that anyway. They grille chicken breast cutlets with peppers and onion and put that over top a regular "garden" salad. There are no croutons or cheeses in this salad to worry about. They have lite italian dressing (one point for a tablespoon and I won't need more than that - not a huge dressing fan as it "masks" the taste of things anyway). So, using only one point I feel entirely safe to judge this salad as "core". I do think that eating at places you know if you must eat out might be important during this "get acquainted" time period?
  • Derrydaughter
    Derry
    You are sooooooooooooooooooo right about the oats...............see?? That is what I mean about all of us reading the book!

Try it and let us know!

It took me several days to start seeing all the real possibilities with this plan! The sky is the limit! I,too had an omelet one morning...with ff cheese onions & peppers........light toast(points) It was great!

Variety and portion control kept in mind...and this plan is "Heaven" to me!

The pg 24 reference...yes one choice of wholewheat pasta,potato or brown rice and one choice of the cereals highlighted in the book.

Hey! I have enjoyed shrimp cocktail several times.The shrimp and the sauce are CORE! Love it!

The first week I recorded food just to have some examples for members...but now I am not.just checking off the weekly points and Good Health Habits..

BOTH plans will work and BOTH meet someones needs!

I think I will switch back and forth often on them depending on what plans we have for the week.

Later
    Cin