Daily Check-In

You're on Page 37 of 71
Go to
  • Tiredoffat funny you should mention the being so hungry thing. I got out yesterday and went for a hike around Green Lake. I didn't really pre plan to go there just did instead of the gym. With the snow and sneakers it was a bit tricky to say the least. But I enjoyed being outside. I forgot how long of a lake it is an at one time thought oh what if my hip starts in? Then I figured there were lots of couples and folks walking I'd be okay if I only can make it around this lake. It was beautiful there and I even saw a swan and about 500 or so geese. Quite a nice hike with the weather being about 40 degrees and no snow coming down and the paths were plowed. After I went for groceries and shopped a bit. I was so hungry I gave in to a sub. I did have a healthy choice one but too much of a hoagie roll that was for sure. But it didn't stop me I ate it all. I figure that it balanced out with my walk. But I had regreted it later that I should of done differently. Oh well next time. At any rate boy did I wake up during the night feeling every muscle and my calfs...... Guess something worked! With all the little rolling hills around the lake I feel it was a super work out.
    More healthy snacks will be the answer. I did buy some good choices of food for my week. Good luck and keep up the good work. Did you measure yourself? After Julie wrote about it I did it and put my wt. in and posted in a special spot. I will remeasure myself and try to keep track. At any rate don't be discouraged if your wt. goes up a bit muscle weighs in at a higher rate than fat. The clothes will tell how your doing.
    Julie thanks as always for the info. your a good source for all of us. I am sorry things aren't more supportive at home with the hubby. Sometimes men think differently than woman not to give him an excuse but its true. Whats important to us they may brush off as nothing. Whats the big deal? That type of attitude. When I was walking by myself yesterday it reminded of me of how much I really do by myself. Due to Bill's disability I can't stop living so off I go by myself. Its not that I am trying to be selfish by any means, but I have to continue with life. When I see others walking around the lake I think well thats nice! Or I see others go places together sometimes it cause he can't sometimes its he has not interest in what is important to me. So I have to go on with somethings that are for me I can't stop living. Sometimes the support isn't there! But I have learned its okay cause I am my own person and I will try to live life to its fullest. I guess what I am trying to get across is support is wonderful if you get it but if not stay strong your worth it! Do for yourself, do things because you want to, take a look at whats important to you and strive for it. Sometimes others take things for granted because they don't know how we are feeling. Life is short and we need to live it to the fullest. Oh enough of that. Hey does his X get any extra funding for a child with a disability. Here in NY you can if you jump through a few loop holes funds are available. Check the internet for funds in your area or supports. Its worth checking out. The field I work in is with adults with special needs here in NY.
    Good luck and keep your spirits high, youve worked so hard to be healthy!
    Intake plans: Breakfast : oatmeal w/ cran, little br. sugar 1/2 banana
    Snack; yellow pepper w/ laughing cow low fat ch.
    Lunch: salad w/ almonds, croutons, chicken breast, roasted red pepper sauce.
    Dinner: Chili homemade w/ hamburg and ground turkey
    sauted squash w/ garlic and cheese
  • Good morning. I'm off from work today as I have a routine medical appointment. I've already caught up on a lot of paperwork and think work. I can really feel my mind returning now that the course is over.

Julie, I'm not surprised that there's tension at home since it sounds like you both are dealing with a lot right now. I've been through periods like that here and it feels like it will never end. It did end here though and we're in a better period now. Have you ever thought about those "work at home" jobs. I've read about them in the paper where the company sends you work, you do it and then send it back. It might be something worth investigating online. Is there any chance you could wait this out until your treatments are over. I'm sure it will be easier to make any decision then. On the other hand, maybe this is a good time to be in a different place with more support. Whatever you choice you make know that I'm here to support you.

Carol, I logged into a lot of calorie counters on the web yesterday. I guess since I was loosing the weight at 1500 cals and no exercise, I can add a few cals now for the exercise. I've read again and again that's it's not good to be hungry. Yesterday I made better choices about the kinds of food I ate to fill up. This is an area that I'll keep experimenting with. I also know that when I started all this in August I did have to endure hunger now and then to get to a better place and now that I'm coming off the holidays I'll probably have to do the same.

Take care all. Rushing because the kids needs me.

breakfast smoothie 400
  • GOOD MORNING LADIES, good to see you well and focused, thanks as always for the support and I,m sorry to offlad on you guys and your angels to take the time to read my crap, but it helps me get it out of my system and be able to face the next thing, life throughs at me, CAROL his ex does get extra funding for his son but she wants more they had a verbal agreement then she found out she could get more, and thats what she wants, TIRED thanks for the advice I looked into those work from home schemes and most of them are just a waste of time to make any money you have to recruit someone and they have to recruit someone in return for your work they get the benefits and you get a commission which is good if you don,t have to make a lot but at the moment money seems to be a priority for us, we could sell the house pay off our debts, have some left over move back to the city and start again, but that isn,t an option for my hubby even though it would solve all our problems, he would rather us seperate for awhile me go back to work regardless of my health, just for the sake of a house, I,m not a materialistic person but he is I would rather do what it takes to get us out from under and try to save our marriage, this has just put a bigger wedge between us oh well like they say s...t happens, CAROL I hear you loud and clear I have spent all my life being there for everyone else and neglecting myself big time I,m going to take your advice and starting living, doing things for myself and what makes me happy and makes me feel fulfilled, I,m going to get out there and live nobody can do it for me and start treating myself the way I treat others with respect and compassion, I looked into selling clothes by party plan yesterday TIRED it looks like good fun and the commission on sales is excellent so I,m going to give it ago hey what have I got to lose, and I just might make some friends along the way its funny you find them in the most unlikely places, I feel I have made a few here, and who knows this seperation might be just what I need at the moment to get myself back I,m not sure who that is at the moment but I,m sure I,ll have fun finding out, CAROL your walk sounded lovely I could picture the lake in my mind and the swan and geese, sometimes mother nature can really fill our senses and makes us glad to be part of something so big, we don,t have control over everyday problems but we can sit back and enjoy the things around us that are just beauty and expect nothing in return but to be admired I love scenery sunsets, the whole wonder of life its awsome and also humbling,
    BREKKI/ SCRAMBLED EGGS, MADE WITH 2 EGG WHITES 1 YOLK, MUSHROOMS, TOMATOES, ON A SLICE OF MULTIGRAIN TOAST NO BUTTER, COFFEE
    SNACK/ APPLE
    LUNCH/ BOWL OF LEAN CUISINE MUSHROOM SOUP, GLASS OF VEGETABLE JUICE
    SNACK/ CHERRIES, GRAPES
    DINNER/ CHICKEN STIR FRY WITH LOTS OF VEGETABLES, DIET CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
    BYE FOR NOW TAKE CARE THANKS FOR READING MY RAMBLINGS, JUST ME GETTING THINGS OFF MY CHEST, PLEASE TAKE NO NOTICE, HEY ROLL ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE, MISS YOU HOPE YOUR WELL, BLESSED BE, JULIE
  • Tiredoffat it sounds like a plan with your trying new things. Let me know what works for you. I heard before to add more protein? Well thats easy enough with some extra peanuts etc. But then you have to becareful there too. To many can add in problems. Oh its just a juggling act I think. Balance , balance isn't that what life is like. Oh well! Let me know how it goes. My sister inlaw saw something on the Today show about the french woman. They eat 3 meals normal portions, eat healthy add in their favorites but in moderation, drink lots of water , have a glass of wine a day and it works who knows for sure. The problem is we are all individuals and what works for one may not for the next. So your idea of experimentation might be the way to go.
    Julie sounds like your going to be just fine. Taking one day at a time will help. But # 1 thing is taking care of your health problems thats got to be priorty right now. All the rest will wait. Life sometimes takes us for a few turns we don't plan on thats for sure.
    Keep up the good intakes looks good.
    I did okay today except for dinner I didn't eat chili.But I ate a roll w/ turkey, tom. onion and a little mayo and mustard. One yogurt with a little granola on it. I will put it in the crock pot in the morning. I worked a bit later tonight got busy at a clients home. Work was a bit crazy today just a bunch of odd stuff to deal with. Oh well it was a monday after all. I have a few appt.s out of the office on Tues. I already packed my lunch. Boy am I hurting a bit from that hike around the lake. I guess that shows I worked some muscles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH! Sorry to complain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing a few motrin won't cure.
    Planned intake for Tues. Breakfast: oatmeal, cran , b. sugar little, cinn. same old stuff
    Snack: 1 banana
    Lunch: red and yellow peppers w/ hummus spread
    1 cup of steamed broc. little canola marg. pepper
    1 tangerine
    Dinner: chili made w/ ground turkey/ ground beef spices, tom.
    peppers, onions and a salad
    1 jalopeno roll
    Take care.
  • HI LADIES, JUST A QUICK CHECK IN FOR ME, I,m off for Sydney tomorrow, this will either be the making or breaking of my marriage but as you said CAROL my most important concern should be my health so I,m going to take your advice and let the rest take care of itself and put it in the hands of the GODS I,m sure they,ll do whats best for me even if I can,t see it now, I also read that if you feel a bit pekish after exercise that a handfull of nuts will stop you from binging but just a handfull as they are high in fat, straight from the shell is best, you sound like your body is paying the price for your walk but its good to know you,ve done good, well I will try to check in when I can I don,t have access to a computer at my daughters I have to go to the library, but my chats with you all , help me in more ways than one they keep me sain at the moment and help keep me on track after all I should be focusing on the reason I found this site in the first place and that is for support and encouragement as I travel this road called weight loss, starting tomorrow its a time for a change time to find me and leave all the rest behind for the present, bye for now keep up the great work, BLESSED BE , JULIE
  • Julie I am just doing a quick check in. I wish you the best and will be thinking about you. Have a safe trip and we will be here for you whenever you need us. I hope you can work things out, stay healthy stress can get the best of all of us. Thinking of you!
    Tiredoffat I am going to try and fit in a walk today if nothing else. Recently I decided to keep my sneakers in the car. This way if I find the opportunity I can take advantage of it. Have you tried any sugar free jello as a treat? I used to use it and picked up a couple of pkg. the other night. Maybe I will put it together before I go off to work. I am starting my chili anyways. If we plan our foods right there are a lot of things we can fit in. I am looking for some good ideas for ways to prepare broccoli as it was on sale and now I have 2 huge bags of it. I took some for lunch today and will steam it and just added a little canola marg. and lemon pepper. If you have any ideas let me know. I am going to ck on this site under recipes.
    Thanks cc
  • GOOD MORNING, CAROL, TIRED AND ROLL, JUST DROPPED IN , its 1 oclock in the morning here downunder, can,t sleep so many things going on in my head, thats unusual its normally pretty empty, I,m a little better with my outlook on things this morning I,m just going to take each day as it comes and not get loaded down with things that may or may not happen, my best friend gave me a real stern talking to yesterday and reminded me that these are not my issues there my hubbies, and I should let them go and not make them my baggage, and I should look at this hurdle as just another bump in the road , if I can get through the stuff I have so far regarding my health Ican get through this it should be a piece of cake, your kind words mean so much and I appreciate you having the patience to put up with some of the downers I,ve been on lately, we are suppose to be here to motivate each other and lately I,ve been on a real feel sorry for me mission I appologise to all of you, I guess because of my health issues I just let everything get on top of me, well enough of the soap opera stuff, I see the DOC on Monday to see what he is going to do and hopefully I will be on the road to recovery and bounce back better than ever physically, emotionally I,m already on my way thanks to the friends I have who offer such encouragement , Carol I love broccoli, I like to make a cheese sauce to pour over steamed broccoli I make it with skim milk cornflour some low fat ww grated cheese and pepper, but you sound like a good cook so I bet you,ve done it that way already, when I do it that way I like to add some cauliflower to it as well, I hope you get your walk in thats a good idea keeping your joggers in the car I,ll have to remember that when I get back to exercise and as soon as I can I plan to with a vengence, I feel so out of condition and lazy it will be great to get back to some sort of normality, I always have a couple of ww jellies made up in the fridge, they are a good treat with only about 8cals per serve so they don,t have a guilt factor which is great and they taste good and satisfy a sugar crave every time, well I,m off to bed to try and get some sleep, THANKS FOR BEING THERE GUYS ,I ALWAYS GREET YOU AS ANGELS BECAUSE YOU ARE, OOOH GETTING MUSHY TIME TO GO, BYE FOR NOW TAKE CARE BE GOOD, AND BE KIND TO YOURSELVES IF YOUR HALF AS NICE TO YOURSELVES AS YOU ARE TO ME YOU CAN,T GO WRONG , BLESSED BE, JULIE
  • Hi all.

Julie, I'm sorry that I missed you. I wish you well. I know good things are coming your way - you see the beauty of life and the beauty of life will continue to find you. Perhaps there will be some love waiting to embrace you in the city. Keep in touch. Don't ever worry about the sharing the downers, that's why we are here to support each other during the ups and downs of life.

Carol, putting your sneakers in the car is a good idea. I was reading Dr. Phil last night and he talked about coupling activities and changing your routines to help your weight loss efforts. For example he suggests planning your drive to and from work so you don't pass places that tempt you to buy fat foods. I'm going to couple my green tea with reading with my son - it will relax me and I'll help him. I'm coupling music with workouts - I love the music and it helps to get me motivated.

Carol, one of my favorite broccoli recipes involves cooking the broccoli with garlic and olive oil until it is bright green, then adding a bit of water to steam it. After that you add it to pasta (but maybe it would be just as good without it) and some parmesean. Everyone in my family likes it.
    Better eating day today.
    breakfast - orange, oatmeal, coffee, milk (300)
    lunch - salad with turkey (300)
    snack - air popped popcorn and a little parmesean 150, 1/2 power bar 125 (275)
    dinner - yummy healthy Sicilian seafood stew - lots of celery, onions, peppers, tomatoes and some shrimp and scallops. I ate a lot, but it's fairly low cal (600)
    total 1475 (yeah under 1500!!!) I'm going to have to find more dinners like this that are full of healthy food and low cal - very comforting hot and steamy too. I like the idea of the low fat cheese sauce for the broccoli.
  • p.s. I had a good workout last night - 30 minutes eliptical. Tonight I'm aiming for a 60 minute workout of treadmill and bike. We'll see. The show about people loosing weight is on, so I hope to watch it for motivation while I work out. Take care.
  • Tiredoffat sounds like Dr. Phil is giving out some good advice and thanks for sharing it. The recipe is quick and sounds good I will ck. it out. I made chili in the crock pot and it was so nice to come home to at the end of my day. I did good with that but did manage to eat a snack size bowl of potatoe chips. I bought them for the hubby. Yah know at least I stopped with one little bowl. In the past I would of ate more. Little changes make the difference having some control is a step in the right direction and I notice having more lately. Like I can eat something at a portion size instead of extra and not stopping until its gone. I read about never eating anything straight out of the bag but to portion it out. I do read the portion sizes , sometimes even bag things up for future snacks. I have been cutting down on coffee and drinking more tea it really good and I enjoy it. I went to a clients home last night they are from India. Very nice folks and insist on making me a snack and sharing a cup of tea. She made me a cup of tea with fresh ginger and a little skim milk it was really soothing. Then shared a plate of cashews and fresh zucc. bread made w/ no eggs and whole wheat flour. So I had a little of both it held me over until dinner at 6.
    I did alot of up and down the stairs yesterday and in and out of the office but no other exercise to mention. I looked back on my trip around the lake and I am going to do that again when the weather permits. I will attemp to get to the gym today. Keep up that exercise and the music will make it go by quicker. As far as your dinner it sounded wonderful. Those comfort foods are great. Well gotta go make my oatmeal.
    Intake plans: oatmeal same old, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee 220 cal.
    Snack= yogurt 90 cal.
    Lunch= chili, lowfat chunk of cheese 300, steamed broc. cal few crackers w/w 50cal
    Snack= tangerine 37cal.
    Dinner= salmon broiled/baked 300, baked sweet potatoe 130, broccoli sauted
  • Hello just checking in . I did pretty good today with sticking to good choice making. I tried some new tea today called Island tea. It was vanilla rum flavor oh so good. I am really starting to enjoy it. At any rate variety is the answer for me. That way I don't get to sick of things and quit. I amd the salmon for dinner it was really good and not fishy tasting. I had the baked potatoe with 1 tsp. of orange marmalade it was pretty good. Trying new ideas. I am going to attempt to do my plans for thurs. as I am going to breakfast early before work with a friend.
    Breakfast= 2 poached eggs , 1 rye dry toast, 1/2 order of potatoes, coffee , water400 cal.
    Snack= laughing cow cheese on celery57cal
    Lunch= chili w/reduced jalopeno cheese shredded in 350
    Broccoli, lemon pepper and a dash of canola marg. no chol.40 cal
    Dinner= a little left over salmon, salad ,small turkey burger made w/ peppers, onions, garlic and blue cheese grilled on george foreman
    The rest I will add in later in the day. Time for my sugar free lime jello w/ lite whipped cream. Have a good day stay strong and make healthy choices we can do this!!!!!!!!!
    Julie hope your doing well and know we are thinking of you during this time.
    Tireoffat hope your still out there! I am sure your busy with the little ones.
  • Hi all. Carol, thanks for passing on all the great tips. Good idea to portion food out. I know that will help me. I'm still having trouble keeping to the 1500 cals, but I'm sticking to the workouts though my body is sore. Thanks for the tea tips too - I'm going to try some of those great teas. Running late today but I'll be back tomorrow. Carol we can look great and feel great by spring - we can do it!

breakfast smoothie
    lunch leftover sicilian seafood stew, carrots
    snacks - two power bars (two too many)
    dinner - nuts/apples
    total cals - about 2,000
    exercise 33 minute walk/jog/run on the treadmill
  • Tiredoffat thought I'd do a quick ck in. It keeps me motivated I guess. Watch those power bars, read the calories. One thing I have started is when leaving for my work day I take one 16 oz. water to drink on the way. Its one way to get in so extra and helps to keep me full. Try to add in extra veggies to your diet and fruit. Do you like cheese see I am a big cheese lover. I found the laughing cow cheese to be very good. I just purchased some more yesterday. BJ's and our P&C carry it. I just read an article on fiber and we should be having between 25 - 35 grams a day. Fiber does a lot to fight of diseases and to help keep us full. This read "High fiber foods help to strave off hunger and food cravings. Low fiber foods especially desserts and processed snacks often contain a lot of calories in a small portion." Well at any rate it sounds good. More veggies, legumes, grains, limited nuts, fruits etc. I started adding in a little snack in the morning and mid afternoon it seems to help. Your right by spring we wil look great. I am starting to feel good again Christmas was wonderful but my food intake got out of control. Oh I am going to try and get Dr. Phil at the library today.
    Take care, watch those bars try one and a big glass of water. Just an idea hope you don't mind. I would hope anytime you will give me advice too!
  • Hi Carol, thanks for more advice. I have not been eating enough veggies and I like veggies. That's a great idea. I'm going to start snacking on celery, broccoli, carrots, etc. I love crunchy foods!!! That's the solution for the problem I'm facing right now with eating - I just want to munch and I don't get enough veggies. Thanks.

I don't have too much advice lately on the food front. I really feel like I'm beginning a new leg of this health journey as I'm exercising every day. The addition of exercise has me feeling good but it's making my body have different routines, etc. It has affected my sleep, the way my clothes fit, etc It's all positive - just a change and getting used to a new idea. What exercise tips do you have?

Since my goal is the triathlon in July, my main exercise goal is to strengthen myself in my weakest area which is running. Last summer I could not run at all and now I can slowly job about 2 miles on the treadmill so I'm improving. I'm trying to vary my workout each night. Last night I used the treadmill and today I hope to swim.

I think your snacking sounds good, just like I've read about. Keep in touch. Thanks for your encouragement.

Christmas brought us all down. Next year I hope I remember this and plan a Christmas with less fat food emphasis and more active fun emphasis. I found that all that sugar food made me feel low and unhappy, whereas now that I'm back eating the good foods I feel good. Take care.

breakfast - Kashi cereal (high fiber) and milk (200)
    lunch - salad with turkey, small pear (300)
    dinner/snack - pb/crackers 300, almonds 170, smoothie 400, choc. chips 100
    total 1470 That's it
    Planned exercise - a long swim at the pool tonight.

I'll check in tomorrow - Friday! Yeah! I'm ready for the week's end.
  • Tiredoffat good to hear from you. I just did the scale thing this a.m. didn't move a bit but I am not going to let it get to me. I feel good and things are fitting better so I am going to go with my eyes at this time. In a couple of weeks I will do the measurments again. I have been pretty much eating healthy other than a few little slip ups. But all in all not bad. Oh well life goes on!
    Yes I am increasing the veggies too. Yesterday I took some celery and a pkg. of my laughing cow cheese and extra yogurt to work to leave for snacks. I didn't drink enough water yesterday so today I will try to do that. As far as exercise other than my up and downstairs at work and in and out I haven't exercised since sunday. Now that sure needs to be improved on. So today I only have to work until 3:30 so off to get my haircut and then to the gym. When exercising I can't run due to leg surgery 3 years ago repair and a new ligament and still have a screw in there. I am going to get it out one of these days it sticks out a bit. But an important part of exercise is to increase gradually. For an example I was doing the treadmill speed on 4.1 but no incline. Now I am doing the speed at 4.1 and have increased the incline to 4. It wasn't easy in the begining but I felt the difference for sure. Do you do any strength training? I usually mix things up sometimes use different machines try something longer or less on one etc..When on the treadmill one day a gal wasn't chatting to another so I hitched a ride and she was saying to go for a fast walk for say 5 min. run for 4 then back in forth inc. when you feel your up to it. The gal talking was a runner but had messed up her knees. The gals hubby pushed her to run to far, to fast etc. and she had injured herself becareful. Sounds like your trying different things thats great. I would love to do the walk on the lake again but today we have snow and slush. We had a temp. of 70 at 9:00 last night crazy! Almost scary! Then today I wake to snow what the heck? I spoke to the kids in Seattle last night their moving the first week in March to Hawaii. I am a bit worried on the island you have no protection. But they need to live their lifes as they wish. I will pray a bit extra. EXERCISE TODAY! WATER!
    Todays plans:B= 1 bowl of shredded wheat w/ 1/4cup 2% 1/2 grapefruit 1 coffee , water=== 230 cal.
    S= celery w/ laughing cow 57, tea,water
    Lunch= hot ham w/ salad/croutons/almonds/grape tomatoes/raspberry dressing. appox. 400cal???? tea
    Dinner not sure something with seafood I am going to stop at the fish store.