LAWL & Friends # 82

You're on Page 8 of 22
Go to
  • Hi Again,
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone - I guess I'm just having a PMSey day. Feeling kinda down and not real hungry.
    My center is a corportate center, not a franchise, I understand there are some differences. My counselor keeps stressing that as long as I keep on plan as I have been, if I don't meet my goal at the end of the weight loss weeks I purchased, then any additional weeks I need to get to stabilization and maintenance are on her. However, I have been following the plan to a t - no cheats - eating my lites, and weighing in three times a week. I was concerned about the probability of not being able to weigh in three times a week once school starts, but she said not to worry about it, she'd honor the guarantee even if I couldn't make it in 3 times a week all the time. Kristi, they haven't asked you for any more money for weeks yet right - is your center a coroporate center too? Maybe the franchises are a little stricter on that issue since the money for the weeks is really coming out of the owner's profits rather than the corporations. SY and Karen are your centers franchises?
    As far as the plan being based on calories or food combination, I think it is both, which is where it differs from weight watchers - and is perhaps why weight watchers is a much slower process for some people. On WW, you calculate point values for everything you eat using number of calories, grams of fiber, and grams of fat. Since you are given a target number for your daily point intake, this is actually a way of controlling your calories and portion sizes, but not the types of food you eat, although in addition to counting points, you need to include 5 servings of fruit/vegetables, 2 milk products, and 6 8oz. glasses of water. There is no control over the number or portions of protein, carbohydrates, starches, or fat you take in on this plan. So you could have absolutely no protein content in your diet and as long as you stay within your point range you are on program. From what I saw when I was on the program, most people did not lose very rapidly. I, however, did very well on the program - but I ate a lot of protein, and harldy starches or fat - so I think that's why I did so much better with it. The only thing that I wasn't doing on WW that I am doing now on LAWL is minimizing my beef intake. So..... I do think that in addition to monitoring calorie intake (the portion control on LAWL does that) the food combinations (set number of proteins, vegetables, fruits, starches, dairy, and fat) on LAWL, as well as the limited and unlimited food categories contributes to the average weight loss predictions. In my center, many of the women are averaging 3 pound losses per week. One woman, in particular, has lost 60 pounds in 4 months. She generally weighs in when I do, so we have been exchanging notes. She started out with a 90 pound weight loss goal (she is about the same height, but weighs a quite a bit more than I do now, even being down 60 pounds - so I think that the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off until you start nearing your optimum weight). Anyway, those are my thoughts.
    Dahlia, I too was skeptical when I started the program, and my center worked with me and initially sold me a 5 week trial program, and gave me the opportunity to convert to a full program (meaning what I spent on the 5 week program was credited to the full program at the end of 5 weeks.) I lost 11.8 pounds during the first 5 weeks, which officially ended today (the target was to lose 10 pounds in that time period - I was already at that target last week, so I converted to a full program). I doubt there is any website which posts the portions etc. for the various plans. There are quite a few plans, and the one they recommend for you is going to depend on how many pounds you want to lose and how much excercise you normally do. Even then, they may have to play with that plan, as I found out. They started me on the Gold Plan, and after one week put me on the Red Plan which has more food, and that's when I saw the weight loss start to take off. They told me that the type of excercise I was doing, as well as the amount of excercise, required more food in order to kick up the metabolism - it worked. Anyway, bottom line is, I would make an appointment for a consultation - see what they say - and maybe inquire about a 5 week trial if you are still unsure. Hope that helps - good luck.
    June
  • Wow June, that is a LOT of great information!

BTW, everyone, my coworker Terry is at LAWL right now doing her "initial consultation." It'll be interesting to hear what she thinks, because she already knows pretty much EVERYTHING about the program from me telling her about it as I went through it all this past week.

Fiona
  • June....My center is corporate as well.
  • Fiona-
    I'm with you, at 216 I thought I still looked good......until I saw some pictures and I thought "WHO is that?" What do they say, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder?"

Karen, I think the LA plan is based on calories and food combination. It's not too many calories and theres little fat or empty calories. I do like it becuz unlike WW it doesn't give you too many choices, the foods you do get are healthy foods and your junk food is gone. I especially enjoy the Rainbow Plan for those "life happens" events....

My center is Corporate, we have counslors there that are skinny, heavy, young, old, nice or mean......all of them say they are either on plan or have been. It's simply the nearest center to my work, so I can go at lunch time.

June, Thanks for the low-down on WW vs. LA, I can definately tell your a very good teacher.......
  • Thanks so much for all the help! Y'all all seem pretty satisfied with it. I think I'll follow the purple plan (I searched the forums and found the listing of what each plan is made up of) until next payday to see if I like it.

June- the five week trial plan sounds like a good idea. If I like the plan, that's the way I'll go.

Thanks again!
  • Dahlia....Where did you find all the plans and what they are made up of. I'd really like to see that.
  • Karen-

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...lan#post449226

I just searched for "red plan" under this forum and searched around until I found that. It's helpful to me just to get an idea.
  • Dahlia....Thanks. I thought that was some pretty interesting stuff on there but I think if I would have read that before, I wouldn't have joined. I had talked to Star about it first because she had tried it before. My S-I-L has also lost 75 pounds on it and has kept it off since last December. It took her 7 or 8 months to do it but she didn't cheat once...I don't know how she managed that but she did.
  • The Rainbow Plan
    Quote: Star,
    Waht's the rainbow plan?

Kristi
    Kristi,

Okay I'll try and answer that question. The Rainbow Plan was originally started by Karen. When she first joined LA she couldn't decide which color plan she wanted or should be on and so she kept on switching back and forth. She had her counslors bounching off the walls trying to keep up with her. Or maybe she would be on gold all week and blue on the weekend. Hence, the Rainbow Plan. I, followed in her footsteps and mixed it up also.

Once she got on one color plan and stuck with that the Rainbow Plan became something else altogether. You know all those "life happens" events that come up and totally mess with your staying on plan? Like: weddings, celebrations, social functions, birthdays, anniveraries, showers,dates, the list is endless. So when we run into those (and I have way too many of them), and we slip up, we call that the Rainbow Plan, becuz there really needs to be a color for those "life happens" events. Life would be pretty boring without them. Really, how can you avoid them short of locking yourself in the basement for the duration of your plan? Then the counslors act like it's normal to go to a wedding and eat 1 protein, 2 veggies, 1 starch and 1 fruit, IF you have that left for the day (& all on the plan list ofcourse)

So I guess the Rainbow Plan is our rebel version of what LA left off.....This kind of sounds like one of those "You had to be there" stories...
  • Hi everyone. Well here I am at my daughter's in N.C. ( outside on the porch using a laptop). I am planning on going to LAWL on Monday so far so good. I think I may have gained a pound and I'll be happy if I keep it at that. Will post later if I can. By the way it's 94 degrees here today and I've been in the pool most of the day. Sy are you envious and Diane too?
    Beachlover
  • Thanks for the kind words everyone - much appreciated - I'm pretty grumpy today

Dahlia: One thing you need to be very careful of is portion sizes. They vary from plan to plan. For example on the Red Program you can have 8 oz. of chicken, 7 oz. of turkey breast, 7 oz. of flounder, and each of these counts as one protein. On the Gold Plan the portions are smaller: 6 oz. of chicken, 5 oz. of turkey breast, 5 oz. of flounder. Also on the Red Plan 8 oz of skim milk counts as one dairy, while on the Gold Program 4 oz of skim milk counts as one dairy. So the portion sizes are much smaller on Gold than they are on Red. Vegetable, Fruit, and Fat portions are the same. So you really need to be careful. I don't have a card for the Purple Plan, so I don't know what that looks like in terms of portions. I wouldn't be surprised if they portions are larger. The woman that I mentioned who signed up to lose 90 pounds was started on the Purple Plan, and then moved down to the Red Plan. I have no idea what her activity level is like, and that also plays a role. Originally they went by the book with me and started me on the Gold Plan because I was less than 60 pounds from my optimum weight. I was going nowhere with that, so they boosted me up to the Red Plan, and like I said, although there is more food there, I started to lose on that plan because I needed more food in order not to put my body into starvation mode (which slows the metabolism) and continue to excercise as I have been. The body is pretty smart - if it's not getting enough food regularly, it slows the metabolism to conserve energy.
    June
  • Star: Love your verison of the Rainbow Plan?

Welcome Dahliaa.

Everyone, I'm not sure if my center is corporate or not? I know that corporate people has visited my center when there was some problems at the beginning (complaints on how gruchy the people at the center were).

At my center, the way they knew I was out of weightloss weeks, on the chart they keep for me, the first column had 16/16 on it for this week - meaning they keep track as I go alone to know how many weeks I had. I never paid attention until she asked me for more money. That must be why they tell you to put your plan on hold when you go on vacation - so you don't lose those weeks. Of course, they never explain the reason why. You always have to ask questions. They have a politicians attitude, or it's a sales tactic?

Hi Beach - I'm very envious of you sitting on the porch in NC and it being 94 degrees. It's pouring here and in the 60s! We haven't nice weather since May. Our NY State Fair starts next week (which always means the end of the summer). Well, the forecast for next week have more than 1 day above 80 degrees - so it looks like we will have a summerly week and as long as it doesn't rain - I'll be loving it.

Fiona - have a wonderful time at the wedding today.

Meltin - still wondering where you have been.

June - your very helpful - thanks for all the information!

Diane - heard on the news that Elnino is on it's way north so we can only hope that next summer will be awesome.

I'm headed to the regional market. Take care, Sy
  • Good Morning Everyone,

Diane: Hope you had a wonderful anniversary.

Beach: Looking forward to hearing how your vacation went.

Fiona: Good luck at the wedding today!!! Have a great time.

SY: Thanks again for all the nice things you say. I think we're all her to help each other, and I've learned so much - not sure where I'd be without this board for support!!

Karen: Hope your night out went well.

Well, it looks like I'm still holding at 155 and still waiting on TOM - should be this weekend - hope to see a drop after that.

Enjoy the day everyone!!!

June
  • Kristi:
    That's excellent!!! What a wonderful job you did this week!!! Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! You're almost there!!! I really don't think that you have to worry about them asking you for any more money. The shakes are actually really good at this time of the year and very filling. I make mine in my smoothie maker and add skim milk - so I get my dairy in that way too. If you keep going like this you'll surely be at your gaol on September 6th. You go girl!!!! Have a good one. Oh, and how was your dinner out - I think I typed Karen instead of Kristi. Oops.
    June
  • Kristi: WOW - your doing awesome! What did you do this week to be down 4.5? I need some movitation to get the last 10.4 lbs off. I have been drinking all my water the past few days as that has been the hardest think for me to do. Somedays I just don't feel like drinking it - so that is what I will focus on. I went to Big Lots and they have large bottles of water that are a little bit more than 50 ozs each. I have been drinking at least 1 of them and a smaller bottle so I be sure to get in my 64 ozs. Hope the results will be this week and into the future are better for me. If I can get below 165 by the end of this week, I will be movitated. That would mean that I need to lose 1.6 by next Friday. I hate setting mini-weight goals for myself as I get so disappointed - but I will make an exception this week. Everyone has a great week! Sy

Hey, Diane - it's suppose to be sunny and 77 here today, so hopefully you will also get to share some 'summer' weather before it's over.

Meltin - where the heck are you? TexNurse, haven't heard from you either. How all is week with both of you.