Can This POSSIBLY Be Right???

• OK, I bought some Tyson frozen boneless chicken breasts. It showed on the package that 1 piece is 3.5g of fat and 170 calories. Totally acceptable. Then I open the package and pull out this HONKIN' piece of meat. It was HUGE! I put it on my little scale... 10oz!! I tested other peices because I thought it may be a fluke piece and they weighed about the same. THEN in a state of outrage I pulled a Lean Cuisine out of the fridge which is the standard size of what I normally eat. 8oz for the whole meal! 8!! I could eat that huge chunk of meat and add some veggies and be TOTALLY full for less fat and calories than in one of those stupid tiny Lean Cuisine meals? This can't be right can it???
  • Check the weight of one piece; it should be listed on the package with the serving size. Sometimes their idea of a "piece" is half or even a quarter of one piece in the package. According to Calorie King, 10 oz raw boneless skinless breast of chicken is 312 calories and 3.4 grams fat. By that reckoning, a "piece" would be half of one of the pieces in the package.

Hope this is helpful.

Linda C.
  • No, it can. You don't get the whole piece. A seving is 3 ounces off the bone.
  • right or not . I love the frozen chicken tenders ( i buy the tender size pieces not whole breast ) grill em up add veggies, rice and yummy. either way it has way less sodium than a frozen dinner. and goes well with a variety of healthy choices.
  • Could it be true? mine says 1severing = 1 piece (196g) = ?ozs???
    it has 170 calories and 1 gram of fat
    tyson boneless skinless chicken breast fully trimed to 99% fat free

ice Glazed, enhanced with up to 15% chicken broth

I THOUGHT Maybe the broth added brought up the weight and down the calories like adding water. I never thought about it. + being frozen it would weight more?

Does water weight more then ice???

good question I'm going to start going by the weight not the package

just got to get a scale. Where should I go to get one?? Wal-mart??
  • chicken breast

10 oz chicken breast raw without skin= 312 cals
    and
    10 oz chicken breast roasted without skin = 472cals
    according to diet-power an average 1/2 chicken breast roasted without skin is 3oz and 140cals
    so i guess they expect you to cut it in half, labelling is not very clear.
    my theory is that they (you know who they are) work backwards. instead of taking a normal portion and writing the nutritional info they start with what people would accept as an amount of calories and procclaim that to be a portion. that's why the portion sizes never seem to make sense. it's all marketing.
    196g = 6.9oz
    i use this web-site for conversions http://www.onlineconversion.com/
    it's got everything and comes in handy for logging foods, and logging exercises like jogging and walking

hope this helps
    gen
  • water and ice

ice floats so 1 litre of water weighs more than 1 litre of ice as water expands when it freezes. that's why you gotta stop putting beer in the freezer so it will get cold faster, bang!
  • IF one added water to something for instice say you have 2 potatoes

I take them and bake them
    then take a cup of the pulp from each
    kept the one plain but
    add 3 tlb spoon of water to the other
    you didn't change the calories but the one with the water would be fuller or more then a cup.

even if you just whip the one and keep the other one as is out of the potato. the whipped one will look like more. even though it the same calories?

so I was thinking the ingrediants that tyson added might not have as many calories as a chicken breast. so it could weight more or look bigger with less calories?
  • chicken and water

you're right some companies pump water into the chicken. makes them plumper and juicier and weigh more

gen