Spicy Bleu Cheeseburgers

• I LOVE this recipe although I do it on the grill instead of the broiler. I also just put all the spices on one side of the burger. It definitely makes a hamburger patty more palatable!!!

Spicy Bleu Cheeseburgers
    Contributed by: cook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 to 2 pounds of lean ground beef
    1/2 pound of blue cheese, crumbled or cut into 4 equal pieces

Preheat the broiler. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the herbs and spices.

Divide the meat into 4 balls of equal size and shape into patties.

To stuff the burgers, divide each patty in half and flatten. Place 1 piece of blue cheese on each half and top with the other half. Seal the edges by pinching and re-form the patty.

Evenly coat each patty with the herb mixture.

Place burgers on a broiler pan about 2-3 inches from heat and broil for about 3-5 minutes per side or longer for well done.

Serves 4
  • I hope that is low fat blue cheese. Blue cheese is to be avoided on South Beach.
  • Ruth-

I actually found that recipe on southbeachrecipes.com under Phase 1. I have never been able to find l/f bleu cheese and just use the regular crumbled stuff. It hasn't seemed to affect any weight loss. I've seen a lot of SB recipes that use bleu cheese....oh to have some clarification?!?!
  • I guess rules are meant to be broken. i wonder if Dr A wrote the recipe or if it was one of his minions!
  • I don't know but it sure is good!!!!!

I've misplaced my good carbs/fats book and can't remember what it says about bleu cheese. I love the stuff!!!!
  • Got my book:

It says to use low fat or fat free cheese but it also says "Occasionally, however, it's okay to enjoy a small amount of a very flavorful cheese such as blue cheese or Parmesan occasionally, because a little goes a long way to enhance the flavor of a dish without contributing a substantial amount of saturated fat."

Blue 1 oz 1 Total Carb 1gram Total Sugar 8 Total Fat Limited
  • Thanks Barb...I had them last night and savored every last bite of them!!!