Birth Control Pills

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • YES YES YES - I crave Orge Peanut M&M's allllllllllllll the day long!
  • I LOST weight while on Yasmin. It was great, about 5-7 pounds off my bottom weight. I am not on it anymore due to a blood clot, and I did gain weight back.
  • Hello Cathyxxx
    I am new at this posting so please forgive me.
    Birth Control??
    I am on the DEPO Shot and I love it. I have thyroid issues too. I have gained a lot of weight not because of the DEPO but my thyroid. I recently joined weight watchers and I have lost 20.4 pounds in a month and a week. I love it. Oh back to the DEPO if you don't know what it is it's the shot you get every 3 months. I have not had any issues using it. One of the great things is not having the monthly visitor. You might want to try that.
  • I had trouble w/the pill, several different brands that I can't think of right now. I did gain weight and had migraines. I stopped and no more migraines. Sadly, the weight doesn't go off as quickly and easily as it goes on.

Reading the article posted about gaining while on the pill and insulin resistance was very interesting. I think that is why I gained weight. Years later I found out that I have Type II diabetes, so if the warning is true, it sure was in my case.

As far as sugar cravings go, I have them terribly when I'm not on a low-carb plan. Going off a diet of low-carb foods and then trying to go back on is murder. The sugar cravings are almost unbearable. Giving in only makes them worse, not go away (for me). I recently went kinda relaxed on the low carb eating for a week and then had a really difficult time getting back in gear. This is my first week back on, and finally as of today, I'm not struggling at all w/the sweets. It's almost an addiction for me. One that should NOT be fed.

I tried the low cal, low fat diet and it just didn't work for me. I didn't lose weight, was hungry constantly, and crabby. Once I found out I was diabetic (mild though), and went to the low-carb way of eating (under dr. supervision), it started to come off.

If you're worried about being insulin resistant it may be a good idea to check it out w/your doctor. You wouldn't want a that to turn into diabetes. Just a thought.

Good luck in your weight loss efforts. How much have you lost?
  • One word for those that gain weight on the pill YASMIN!!! My mom watched a study on 20/20 about it. It's the perfect pill for people that have trouble with weight gain on the pill. It has sulfur in it, which others don't but has worked great for me. I started taking it the first time I started dieting and went from 156 to 132 with the help of WW of course. I then asked my gyno about it and he said that he loves it because it has something in it that can actually help you lose weight if you are a gainer on the pill. I kept missing my pill so I switched to the patch, in one week I gained 7 lbs, ripped it off and went back on YASMIN and went right back down to my normal weight. There isn't any cost difference and I have not suffered any bad side effects or excess hunger at all, it's the best pill I've ever taken.
  • When I weaned my daughter from breastfeeding, I started taking birth control pills. I went through SIX of them before I found the right one for me. FOR ME, most of the birth control pills made me feel CRABBY (I mean, really crabby, not grumpy), I had breast tenderness (think milk coming in after baby sore) and my libido was history.

It took a good six months to find the pills I'm on now. I'm not crabby and I don't have the breast tenderness...libido is still low, but I think general life does that to me.

I didn't see a weight gain with the pill or any particular cravings. I'm just thinking that when we mess with our body's natural hormones, some of them take none too kindly to it.
  • Birth control was the best thing for me, it kept me stable and I had no weight gain what so ever. I was on Ortho Novum 777. I did notice when I went off of them after 15+ years I got crabby/moody lol.

As far as sugar cravings go. I took a course in college a few years ago called Gerontology (the study of aging). As we get older our taste buds change leaving us craving salty, spicy and especially sweet foods. If you ever go to a nursing home and see what the residence there eat, you'll notice they always grab the sweets first (I used to work in a nursing home and volunteer, 8 years).

Who knows lol.
  • Thank you all for the great information. You all answered a lot of questions I had.
    Thanks!
    Tina
  • my 2 cents
    I had been on bc pills for 8 years due to severe pain and bleeding while an adolescent. It took my drs about 5-6 different pills to find one that actually regulated my cycle properly. Unfortunately, low dose pills didn't work for me at all. About 4 months ago, I was diagnosed with high bp. I am overweight, and so I can't tell you what came first, the weight, the bcp, or the high bp. I do know that until I was about 21, I had abnormally low bp. Apparently long term usage is more likely to result in those bad side effects. I did go off the bcp on my drs advice, and within 3 weeks my bp had dropped dramatically, almost back to normal. Still exercising and losing weight to hopefully wean off the bp pills too!
  • I am on depo, finally getting off this month. At first it was fine, but my insulin is all out of whack now and I gained 30 pounds in just over a year. I just feel cravy hungry all the time. I hate depo, but it took a while to realize the effects and realize what was causing them. At any rate, getting off will definitely help with the craving, and hopefully the weight.
  • I am on trifeme - i get wicked hunger cravings when I am off it for 7 days! That sort of nothing satisfies it hunger. I found that all other issues I had while on dianne 35 and another I can't remember the name of dissappeared, especially the depression, weight gain and loss of libido. The pill didn't cause me to gain my weight, it was my sedentary lifestyle. I still have very low BP and pulse for my fitness, weight and age and have been on the pill for 8 years now.
  • I gained a lot of weight when I was on the Depo shot. I went back on it though recently so thats why I need to diet. I was on Yasmin after I had my daughter. I lost weight on it.
  • thank you all so very much for all your responses and info!
    it really does help me!

I was wondering, for those of ya'll that are using or have used Yasmin, did you notice any side effects at all - like moodiness or depression or breast tenderness or low sex drive or fluid retention or things like that - ya know the things that seem to go along with most birth control pills.

I need to check out this Yasmin - I had not heard of it before reading all of your posts! thank you!

FrugalChick - would you mind saying which birth control pill finally worked for you? I'm just curious if it was Yasmin also?

thanks again everyone! ya'll are a great source of info!

hugs,
    cathy

P.S. to Leenie - so hey - are you trying to say I am getting old! hehe yes I have noticed that elderly people would rather eat the sweets than anything else! isn't that something!
  • I have been on Yasmin for about a year and have had NO SIDE EFFECTS at all! Actually after I start my period I can't wait to get back to my new pack of pills because I instantly lose the water bloat and food cravings once I start the new cycle again. I used to suffer from migraines and I can't even tell you when I had one last. No breast tenderness, until a couple days before my period of course. I still get the regular PMS symptoms but I've found that this pill actually has reduced them drastically. My PMS used to be so bad that everyone in my family, even extended family would send me brochures on that one drug they used to advertise for PMS that had the same active ingredient in it as Prozac. My PMS was so terrible I couldn't even stand myself Now I may have a mild grouchy day or two every couple months, but no cramps anymore, and even pretty light and short periods. I can't even begin to explain to you how much better this pill has made my life. Writing this just reminds me of how I used to be, it's been so long I blocked it out of my head. I remember I even left a family trip the day after I got there because I couldn't stand being around anyone, and these are people that I love and love to be around.
  • Just goes to show you, we're all different