Share your best budget shopping tips!

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • I Love Aldi Too!!!!
    Quote: One word: Aldi. I save so much money shopping there it's not even funny. True, they don't have as wide a selection as other stores, so I still have to buy a lot of my diet-type foods elsewhere, but it's dirt cheap, and they are always adding new products including LF, FF, and SF products. And here's an insider secret for you (my mom was a manager): a lot of their food is brand name food repackaged (e.g. Campbell's soup and Heinz ketchup), so the quality is still good.
    I go to Aldi first and get all the things I need at a HUGE savings, some things are 1/3 of the price. When I am done with Aldi, I head over to the Super Walmart. The combination of both saves me a few hundered a month on groceries!
  • I_love_superwalmart!__I_will_go_to_a_bulkfood_for_ drinks_canveggies_box_cereals_and_so_forth.__Carry _ads_from_other_stores_and_Walmart_will_ad_match.
  • Once in a while, I'll make an inventory of everything I have in my refrigerator, cupboards, and freezer. Then I'll put together menus.
  • I Try
    I really try to do that when I can. It is easier to do for the husband and kid's dinner than mine. They like all that bad for you crap. Not much protein for me in the cupboard. I invent meals all the time for them and they usually love it. As long as my husband has a meat, starch, & veggie he is happy.
  • Found this review posted over on Hungry Girl website - 97 cent frozen healthy, tasty meals

Michelina's Lean Gourmet Line. Truth be told, we hadn't even heard of these meals before finding them at our local market. But we're REALLY glad we did. Not only are they super-affordable (ok, we actually spotted these things for an embarrassingly cheap 97 cents per meal at Super Target!), but they taste really great, too. Here's what we found...
  • is everyontring the other tips. glen
  • I saved a bunch of money using online food companies because I have three sons and a hungry husband. Instead of cooking all the time, I just ordered healthy dinner from Appetizerstogo and groceries from Fresh Direct (i think it's only in NYC)

That way, I just freeze the stuff and defrost and bake for each evening. It's all low-fat and really nice gourmet quality!

Best of luck!
    Evelyn
  • At least once a month or bi-month my local supermarket chain has boneless skinless chicken breats on sale for under $2.00 a pound. When that happens I stock up like crazy and I package them up and freeze them. I also buy 93% lean ground beef only when its on sale in the family packs and stock up and freeze that too. Same goes for lean ground turkey. This is so I never have the excuse of "well I don't have anything healthy to make in the house". My freeze always has chicken.
  • Oooh I'm so excited - we're finally getting Super Walmart in Calgary

I usually clip coupons... get the 2 for 1 deals... In my city, The 3rd of every month most grocery stores will allow you to save 10% on your groceries if you spend $100or more.
  • I too am guilty of having ingredients that I don't get around to using. Try the search engine on FoodNetwork.com - you can put in any ingredients you want (even in combination, e.g. "spinach mushrooms chicken") and it will return all the recipes that have those. Great for when you have things going bad in the fridge!
  • I didn't even know about that search engine!!! Wow- great idea!!!!
  • saving fresh produce
    QVC sells "Green Bags" They are wonderful for keeping produce FRESH!!!

also on QVC soda can lids...keeps soda fresh for days!
  • I am notorious for buying "manager's specials" where stores markdown things because they are close to expiration. Just repackage them well and freeze them and they are fine! I have done this for a long time with breads and meats and it has saved me a lot of money. Also buying all the loss leaders and in season items saves a bunch of money. Farmers markets too and really good since they sell seasonal items mostly. Other than that I try to make things myself...like I'll boil a huge pot of beans, package them in smaller portions and freeze them instead of buying canned. Or I'll make a bunch of rice or cook a lot of chicken and do the same. These self made convience items helps a bunch. I'm starting to do these things again and it is doing wonders for those "binge modes" since I have healthy foods so close by. Win win situation.
  • I go to Wal-mart and buy the about-to-expire chicken (you can get a whole one for 3.33). Or I stock up when it's on sale. Make my own no pudge brownie mix. My boyfriend works at a product company (lucky me) so I get all that stuff real cheap.

I make a cheap meal like spaghetti or homemade pizza a few times a week.
  • Quote: Found this review posted over on Hungry Girl website - 97 cent frozen healthy, tasty meals

Michelina's Lean Gourmet Line. Truth be told, we hadn't even heard of these meals before finding them at our local market. But we're REALLY glad we did. Not only are they super-affordable (ok, we actually spotted these things for an embarrassingly cheap 97 cents per meal at Super Target!), but they taste really great, too. Here's what we found...
    Sorry, but most of those meals are really gross!