Imitation cream cheese???

• I like cream cheese better than laughing cow cheese (can't find light here so I have avoided it) so I was hoping to have it to put on my celery. But on phase one you can only have imitation. Where would I be able to find imitation cream cheese that is dairy free? Does it have a brand name? I don't think I have ever seen it.

Thanks
  • ohh I got some its called something like neufchatel. I found it in the wall deli case right next to the regular cream cheese. I think I got the store brand, in fact I think thats the only kind I saw lol. Hope this helps
    Michelle
  • Steph, I don't think we have it in Canada. We used to cross the border occasionally and pick some up, but quite frankly, it's disgusting. I use the light cream cheese.
  • Steph, personally I love the Neufchatel cheese. It's actually just a different kind of cheese, but it is often marketed here in the States as 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese. Light Cream Cheese would work just as well. I do not think Dr. A would advocate using imitation cheese, just low fat cheese to cut down on saturated fat. Does that help, I hope?

If that's not available, you can take some fat free cottage cheese and blend it in a blender or food processor. That would work as a cream cheese substitute. My mom does that with some green onions (scallions) and salt and pepper and dips veggies in it. Yum!
  • Thanks for the responses everyone!

Beachgal: That cottage cheese thing your mom makes does sound really good. Dr. A actually has cream chese substitute, dairy free listed in foods to eat in phase 1. I had never heard of it that is why I thought I would ask.

If light cream cheese is ok, I am very happy!

MichelleRae: In my mind I can *see* neufchatel somewhere in the supermarket but not sure Did you like it?

Ellis: You must be pretty close to a border to cross for cheese I would love to be able to cross, the US has a lot more low carb things than here, although we are catching up pretty quick. I'm in Halifax though so that would require a big drive for us.

Thanks again you guys....light cream cheese here I come!
  • actually laughing cow light was available all over the place in canada before south beach got out. I couldn't find it anywhere for the past 2 months but now the stores are getting more stock. My local supermarket sold out in 2 days