low fat vs. regular cheeses

• when i went grocery shopping today there were only 2 choices of low fat (2%) cheese...and they were very expensive. i compared the labels to the regular selections, and a lot of the low fat ones had only 1g fat less than the regular cheeses. same amount of carbs and sugar (zero). so i bought the regular blocks of cheese because they were on sale (3 for $5 rather than $3.89 each).

is it ok if i eat smaller portions? i'm not going to pay almost $4 for a package of cheese. that, to me, is ridiculous. and i love cheese. i remember reading someone's post about how they actually eat the regular cheeses because they don't like the taste of low fat ones, and they just do smaller portions.

btw, i'm in phase 1. just started today.
  • Hmm good question. I would like to know the answer to that as well since the price of LF cheese is pretty ridiculous where I live. I end up using less anyways because I am trying to ration it.

I'm sure the difference is the amount of saturated fat though not just total
  • oops! i meant that the difference between the sat. fat was only 1g between regular and lowfat. sorry i didn't clarify that
  • I was wondering the same thing.......also, along the same lines, is soycheese (I suppose it isn't really cheese, but a substitute) ok? I like to mix it in with my regular cheese when I grate it on stuff.
  • I've been on the beach since Jan and lost 32 pounds so far. I started out using the fat free cheese at $5 a package, which wasn't even a pound. And it didn't taste good, yuck.

I switched to the 2% fat cheeses for awhile because they were on sale. But after checking the labels I found that they weren't that much less fat and the calories were about the same, give or take 10. When they went back to the regular price. I switched back to the full fat cheeses soon after starting. I try to use less each day, but I'm a cheese addict, so sometimes if I have cheese, I won't have meat at the meal.

I check my daily intake occasionally at fitday to make sure my calories/fat/protein/carbs are a good balance.
    Sarah
  • thanks, sarah. sounds like i'll just have to keep an eye and see if it's halting my weight loss.