Breakfast Ideas and Recipes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Breakfast is the most hurried meal of my day. We take care of the horses in the morning, then I have to rush off to work.

What good (quick) breakfast ideas do you folks have? Anything I can make (night before would be great) and take would be great! What OTC breakfast bars are good? Better?

Thanks!
  • May sound weird but I think its yummy
    Hi! When I am in a hurry in the morning I mix a cup of nonfat cottage cheese and a container single serving of my favorite 99% fat free yogurt with fruit I mix the two and it really is better than you would think. It is super fast, fills me up and if I have to take it with me it goes in one bowl with a spoon and I'm set when I get to work.
  • I don't do breakfast much but if I'm in a hurry and want breakfast I will stop at McDonalds and get and egg mcmuffin. They are only 300 calories and 12 grams of fat.
  • another poster here turned me on to oatmeal uncooked, soaked in milk for a lil' while. super yummy i add a lil' brown sugar and raisins ..
    i also like a peanut butter and banana sandwich super fast and fills me up while giving me energy.
    my problem is i don't like breakfast. i am more of a cup of tea and a smoke kinda girl ( unhealthy i know) but i try and make myself eat.
  • Quote: Hi! When I am in a hurry in the morning I mix a cup of nonfat cottage cheese and a container single serving of my favorite 99% fat free yogurt with fruit I mix the two and it really is better than you would think. It is super fast, fills me up and if I have to take it with me it goes in one bowl with a spoon and I'm set when I get to work.
    Doesn't sound that weird. I like cottage cheese and pineapple anyway. Hmm... hadn't thought of cottage cheese. Thanks!
  • I am definitely not a breakfast person so I just use carnation instant breakfast or slim fast......they are pretty much the same thing. You just mix it with skim milk or fat free milk, and gulp it down. I can drink it right before I am off for work. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals and is surprisingly filling, cuz its thick.
  • Make pancakes the night before, the next day slap peanut butter on one & jelly on the other, put them together like a sandwich & nuke them for 30 sec.

Morningstar Farms Breakfast patties are fast, so is 'poaching' an egg in the microwave. About 3 minutes on High, a little water in the bowl first, can season it w/whatever you like. Dont forget to prick the yolk, or it will explode.
  • Teeny tiny shredded wheets and a mix of dried fruits - blueberry, sour cherry, cranberry - and chopped nuts - Sainsbury's breakfast mix = slivered almonds, nibbed something elses and slightly sugared walnuts, very tasty - all topped off with half fat milk.

I can't stand any breakfasts - the thought of chewing before Noon makes me feel ill - but I am persevering with this one!!!
  • I have made whole wheat pancakes and put them in freezer bags in the freezer. Then you can pop them in the toaster like frozen waffles and they are done FAST!
  • i make half a cinnamon rasin bagel in the morning with fat free cream cheese
    get a bag a put shredded frosted mini wheats in it u can if i want milk to i put it in a old water squeeze bottle and drink it with the mini wheats
    breakfast bars are great i found a special k one that have 90 calories and 2grams fat and it filling too and now they have those ones ceral bars with the milk in them hehe i had one it was a fruit loops one and it was great dunno bout cals but it had 3grams of fat.
    ALL OF THOSE SOUND LIKE GREAT IDEAS I MIGHT TRY A FEW, Heather
  • I'm the one who loves the soaked oatmeal in milk!! Along with that I have an eggwhite omelette...This is a staple for me...but it does take a few minutes unless you would lmake your omelette the night before and reheat it...
    Cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit are delicious I have it all the time as a meal/snack...
    so is a peanut butter on dense whole wheat bread with a banana, but not too much PB it's good for your health but very high fat with little protein... I keep away from meal replacement bars or SlimFast drinks they are ladden with hidden sugars because when I eat sugary stuff it makes me sleepy and these products do that to me...I prefer to make my own bars... Here is Mel's from LWL recipe:
    Pumpkin Protein Bars

8 egg whites
    1/2 C low fat cottage cheese
    2 C oats
    1 C canned pumpkin
    4 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1/2 C water
    1/2 C splenda
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mace, ginger…)
    1 tsp baking soda

Mix together in blender and pour in 9 x 12 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
    Cut into 6 bars for a complete 240 calorie meal.

Well looking at the clock here it's almost time for MY breakfast...TTFN...
  • I love nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese. I add ground flax and/or wheat germ for that yummy carb comfort. I have that for my mid morning snack about every day.
  • Sometimes in a pinch I have Healthy Choice dinners for breakfast. Microwave for 7 minutes.... 300 calories/7grams of fat. Or Lean Pockets, they're about the same.
    Pair one of those up with some fresh fruit/veggies and call it a breakfast!
  • I can never go without my coffee but if I am in a real hurry I get a yogurt and 1/4 cup of granola and mix it up. If I do not have granola I grab a granola bar. Does me good!
    Or Smoothies! Make enough for 2 in a blender so you have breakfast for 2 mornings. If I add protein powder it fills me up for awhile!
  • We make small pancakes ( about the size of your palm) and eat them cold the next day with butter and sugar free jam or butter and a slice of low-fat cheese. Sounds weird but it is a Scottish thing handed down from my mum

Even having a piece of fruit like an apple or a pear with some low-fat cheese is good if you are eating on the run.

The pre mixed cans of Slimfast are a good option if you need something to take with you or how about some low-fat homemade muffins. I sometimes make a dozen and freeze them. I take out a couple the night before so they are ready to go in the morning.

I have also been know to bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work for breakfast