Killing and painting over mold???????

• Im going to tackle our ancient basement in the next week and one of my main concerns is getting the mold off the walls and floor. How do I do this and what do you suggest I paint over it with to keep the mold from coming back?

Any thoughts would be wonderful!!

Robin
  • Bleach will DEFINITELY kill it! But if you have one, wear a gas mask, or at least turn on lots of fans and open any windows down there! I've used bleach to get the mold off the bathroom ceiling, and it gets pretty stinky!

Afterwards, maybe some kind of waterproof latex? The hardware store might know better, but I would think something impervious to water would be good! That way, the mold won't be able to grab on.... heh!

To prevent more future mold, a dehumidifier will help. My parents' cellar used to be mold central, but with that machine sucking all the damp out of the air, it's much better... It's amazing that in the summer it used to collect many quarts of water a day in its bucket in the back! Phew!
  • Thanks Sarah.........we've started the bleaching, and I think we will be doing that for a few more days. I dont think its ever been done!!!! Hubby has been wearing a mask, Ive been upstairs waiting for him to finish I'll go help paint when its time. I have asthma so Im staying pretty clear of the basement right now. We checked at home depot, but the guy we got didnt appear to know what he was talking about. Maybe i'll go back and see if someone else is around to help!!

Robin
  • Robin, there is a mold-blocking substance that can be added to your paint. DH & I added it to our bathroom paint & it has been wonderful. Maybe you can suggest this to a knowlegable paint salesman who can help. Good luck!
  • Robin,
    I agree with 2Bthinner, I had a mould problem in my bathroom and when I decided to repaint it, I was advised to use the mould blocking substance. They mixed it in the paint for me when I purchased it. That was almost five years ago, and no mould since .
    Lucia