Movin' & Losin' Part 13

You're on Page 16 of 17
Go to
  • Hi Patty,

Way to go Girl! You are on a roll and I am very excited and happy for you. I went to the TV station and after that I trained the lady who is taking my place for two hours. I then had to go to the dentist to get my bottom denture. It feels a little strange but if I remember correctly that is always the case until you get used to them. As a result of all this activity I haven't had a chance to exercise. I am still a little nervous about Friday but I am sure when I get the Arena I will just do as they say. Tomorrow I am going to go over the manual after I hem my pants. And in the afternoon I am going bowling.

Take care,
    Anita
  • Hi Chicks --

I'm so sorry to have been away for so long. It seems all I ever post are depressing posts. I really apologize for that.

My best friend who was battling cancer for so long passed away on July 3. And I'm so sad, depressed, etc.

I'm not doing really well. I'm in an angry and feeling sorry for myself kind of mood. Because I've lost three people I love to cancer in the last 9 months.

I'm mad and feeling sorry for myself because I've spent virtually all my vacation time this year and last on sad vacations....I mean, I'm grateful that I was able to spend as much time as possible with my mom and my dad, and some time with my friend Patricia while visiting my dad.

I'm really, really grateful, and happy I took those trips. And, of course, I'm grateful I have the vacation time left to be able to go to Patricia's memorial service.

But, darn it, I want a happy vacation!! I want to have a vacation that's fun or even relaxing, instead of emotionally difficult. I'm sorry....I probably sound really shallow or spoiled or whatever. There are a lot of other people going through more difficult times than me. And I know it's not all about me -- the world doesn't revolve around me, etc. I'm just really blue.

Anyway, I'd better try and get some work done. I just needed to ask for some more support. Seems like that's all I've done over the last year or more.

I hope everyone is doing good. I'll try and post more often.

--Michelle
  • Hi Michelle,

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it isn't easy. However, you need to look positively towards today and tomorrow. You do have some wonderful things that have happened to you--you have a "wonderful" husband, a new house, and of course, you are working! You also have this wonderful support group to get you through these unhappy times. I just talked to my DD in PA who is going on vacation tomorrow morning and she has not been feeling well and even got one of those migraine headaches yesterday and it is still lingering. I told her I believe it was in the South Beach book that I read about the correlation of migraines and carbs. She is the one who was doing Sugar Busters and had done quite well but has since gained most of her weight back. As a mother, I try very hard not to get on her because I can totally relate to what she is going through. You are so right--everyone has problems and it is how we react to them that make the difference.

Tomorrow is my first concert and quite frankly I am a little nervous. Well I need to go and hem my pants and then I have to study my manual before I go bowling. Take care everyone and hopefully we will get more posting done later today.

Anita
  • RE: All the best...!!!

It is Friday, and the weekend - yippie!

I hope this finds everyone m-o-v-i-n-g and as we all know, you will be losing! It is such a personal challenge for me. Today, I'm walking the malls. I have several things on my shopping list, the weather is beautiful and I am ready to go enjoy the afternoon.

I just read the new SouthBeach cookbook is out. I may look for it. I need one more cookbook like I need another 10 pounds, but.

All the very best to everyone!
  • Caring enough to be sad

Hi chickies - just a quick Friday call ..........

Halgal - hope you have a great shopping trip

Nita - lots of luck with your first concert tomorrow - you will be fine!

Patty - you are getting lots of exercise now ......... keep up the good work!

Thin - hope all is going well with you.

Michelle - sorry to hear about your friend .............. I found a Marston quote suitable for you.

Have a great day all

Caring enough to be sad

Life is beautiful and joyful, and it is only because life can be so beautiful that it can sometimes be so sad. In grief there is also, strangely, a component of joy.
    When we are sad it is because we care so very much. Sadness is painful, and yet the absence of sadness would mean an utter and hopeless emptiness much worse than any pain.

The joy you have known stays with you always, even in times of loss -- especially in times of loss. Indeed, it is the joy that makes the loss hurt so much. Yet that joy is never used up or canceled out. It is still a part of you, though the conditions and the relationships from which it came may have changed. It is still with you. And no one can ever take it away.

Ultimately, the joy is stronger than the pain. The pain may not ever go away completely, yet it will become more bearable as the joy continues to grow stronger with each passing moment.

Not only is sadness a genuine expression of joys already experienced, it intensifies the joys to come. The sun always seems brighter after days and days of rain. The joy and beauty of life mean even more after experiencing the pain of sadness. When you care enough to know true and profound sadness, it's a positive affirmation of life that has no equal.

-- Ralph Marston

• Gosh it is quiet here this weekend!
    I went to the Giants Causeway and Ballycastle beach on Thursday and took my camera with me. If any of you are interested in looking at the pictures I have added them to Webshots and the addy is http://community.webshots.com/user/mooz49
    Some of them are in black and white ......... the setting got accidently moved ......... silly me!!

Hope you are all having a happy healthy Sunday.

One step away

If you were just one step away from reaching your goal, would you take that step? How do you know, right now, that you're not?
    What a shame it would be to stop making the effort, when just a little bit more would make it all worthwhile. What a shame it would be to have taken all those steps, only to miss the very last one.

The next step you take may very well be the one that makes all the others count. You owe it to yourself, and the efforts you've made, to keep going.

No, the next step may not get you there. Yet what about the one after that? If you keep moving ahead, a little at a time, you will indeed arrive. When you take that final, triumphant step, you'll be so very thankful you persevered.

At some point success is just one step away. Keep going and you'll be there.

-- Ralph Marston
  • RE: Trying on new clothes

Good Sunday Morning!

Did anyone catch Friday's Oprah show? Wynonna was on, I believe for a second show - follow up or in progress show. It was a really good show, but hard to watch. You know, I lost a substantial amount of weight once and it was on a medically supervised fast. Not having to think about the food choices, no cooking, eating out was no problem because the good feeling of losing weight was a huge reward. I think that may be key, giving food much less importance in my life.

I went clothes shopping yesterday. I am pretty sure I'll end up interviewing for the state department job this week. I bought a black crepe suit, in the largest size I have ever purchased in my entire life. Something has got to change, and I know it begins with my attitude.

Off to stationary bike. It takes all I have to force myself to do this, and I have the time now! My parents use to have one of these shak-em up machines. Ha, ha, ha...
  • RE: Thanks, thanks, many thanks...

Wow...!!! Thanks for the wonderful photos Mooz!
  • Hi HalGal and Mooz,

Before I went to my concert I was watching the Oprah show re: Wynona and suprisingly enough when I came home about midnight it came on again so the parts I missed I was able to watch again. It was most inspiring because I would never have guessed she didn't go places because she didn't know what to say. It sounded like she most definitely is being committed to licking this problem. It must be very difficult for her to have such a "wonderfully thin" mom and sister. I was happy to hear what Ashley had to say regarding the problem and that they are very close.

Speaking of the concert--I really was very nervous but a couple of the women I met when I first arrived were very motivating and said not to worry. I lucked out because I drew Sections 121 and 122 and as a result I was able to observe the whole concert without any difficulty. My sections were very busy with folks coming and going the whole evening and one of the things they stressed was that we were supposed to check their tickets when they came back to their seats. I found this very difficult especially when they came with a beer in each hand. I got there at 6:15 and the concert was over at 11:30 so it was quite a long time to stand. I was lucky and didn't have to go down the stairs for any reason but at the end when everyone was gone I had to go down and check to make sure no one left anything. All in all, not a bad experience, and of course, that whole time I didn't eat one solitary thing! My next concert is Michael W. Smith and Mercy Me on July 29th.

I have been talking with my DH and I am going to check to find out how much the personal trainers charge at the gym. I have to agree with Oprah, you need someone to just stay with you and push you, if necessary. It's been so hot early in the morning that I am not able to do the treadmill. As I am writing this the temp is 108.

HalGal--if you have any other suggestions on how we can get motivated to get to our goals, please let me know.

May everyone have a nice rest of the weekend!

Anita
  • Hello Ladies,
    Sorry I didn't post for a few days, my niece and a friend of her came in town, so I was busy running around with them. Update: I went to a kickboxing class on thursday and oh, It didn't compare to doing Tae-bo. I really sweated in that class. Saturday was weight in and I lost .6 lbs, but it is TOM for me so i'm hoping to do better this week. I'm going to the gym again this week and taking a class tonight & tuesday & thursday. I'm hoping to walk at home on the treadmill wed. & fri. That is my goal for the week. I am determined to getting past the 166 mark. I keep going up 1, to 2 lbs and then down. I just can't seem to get past that mark. Right now I am down 16 lbs from last year, so I need to keep that in mind.

Nita - Oh, I just love Mercy Me. That will be a great concert.

Hal - I know it's hard to get motivated. But like they said you just have to DO IT.

Mooz - will look at the pictures later.

Mitchellez - So sorry to hear about your friend. I know you have had such a rough year. Remember we are hear for you.

need to run...
  • RE: Dark Chocolate Mint Coffee beans....!!!

Wow...!!!

I found a new flavor of coffee, Dark Chocolate Mint. Oh my gosh.. it is absolutely decadant...!!!

I also found my stationary bike the last 2 days. This is a good thing. I must do this daily. If even for a few minutes, daily.

Also, I taped a 30 minute lower body workout I saw this weekend. I've done it twice - or shall I say - attempted to do it? I carry my weight in my lower half, so this will be a good thing. I am surprised, and then not, about how totally out of shape I have allowed myself to become.

Today is a new day, tomorrow will be better. If even... remotely.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am fine. I have a busy week ahead as I have 2 projects due next Tuesday for my last UK class of the summer. Also, registration closes tomorrow for the freshman transitional program, so I'll begin crunching numbers and developing rotation charts and files for the 3 day program next week.

OneDay; The only way I'll get a vacation is if we start school a week later than planned. That is a distinct possibility because of lots of construction on older schools as well as a new one scheduled to open - all behind schedule. I did have the first 2 weeks of June off also. Such is life.

Have a GREAT week everyone...!!!
  • RE: I'm not naming ANY names, but... = )

Good Day Everyone!

I saw this graphic, and thought, hmmmmm...... Thin, Michellez, CatLover! No, I won't name any names!

I did not drive to Louisville for the conference today. Call it a kind of hookey day. As I was getting ready to print driving directions (I can never remember what exits I need in Louisville!) I noticed my copy of the registration I submitted to the Tech Director indicated if you did not have a receipt (which usually arrives in the mail) you must pay all fees - including late fees upon arrival. I took a double look through my mail, and do not have it! I've been so busy with the university classes (everything is due next Tuesday!!!) I never thought about the registration that ususally arrives by mail. So, call it 'my day'.

I feel as if I may have over done the work out thing, caus my knees are sore, but so is my shoulder. I wonder if there is a storm coming in, instead?
    I'll stationary bike only today - burn some calories and increase my metabolic rate.

I saw something on the news this AM about cortisol levels affecting your body's ability to lose weight. Cortisol is a natural hormone that is produced when the body is under stress. OK, that answers it all...!!

I took some boneless chicken breasts and soaked them in salted, ice water over night. This AM I cut off all the fat and extra skin, then used a mallot to pound/tenderize them. I made a cream cheese mixture with onions, garlic and some spices (black pepper, red pepper, etc...) and 1/4 cup mazarella cheese. I put about 1/4 cup of this mixture into the center of each chicken breast - then... roll it up, and wrapped it with a slice of peppered bacon. I have one baking now! This is all low carb, and very tasty.

Here is a neat article off the WW site:

15 Things to Do Instead of Overeating
    By Melissa Sperl | 7/8/2004

What makes you blow your diet? A big presentation at work? A fight with your hubby? Absolute boredom?

Whatever it is, you're not alone. According to Cynthia G. Last, PhD., author of The 5 Reasons We Overeat (Birch Lane Press, 1998), the trick is really understanding your triggers.

Ask yourself what's really wrong, and why you're using food to feel better. Talk to friends and family. And know that, as Last says, "Boredom that never feels like it goes away might be part of a depression." If you think that's the case for you, ask your doctor for help.

"But if your plans are thrown off track by occasional boredom eating, it's probably a habit," Last continues. "Or something you're just used to doing as a pleasurable activity."

Or, says Samantha Heller, RD, senior clinical nutritionist at the New York University Medical Center in New York City, eating when you're bored might actually be a sign of stress — you feel like you have so many things to do that you're avoiding all of them.

"If you understand your triggers," says Heller, "you're better able to control how you behave when they happen." Make self-analysis your first step toward beating boredom eating.

Whatever's behind your boredom eating, your second step after understanding your motivation is to come up with a plan. Try this:

1. Analyze your pattern. When does boredom eating usually become a problem for you? Mid-week? Evening? If you know when it's most likely to strike, you'll be better prepared for the battle.

2. Come up with alternatives. Plan what you'll do instead of eating the next time you're bored or stressed. "On an index card, make a list of alternate activities," says Last. "Have the list with you at all times, so you can take it out when you need it."

Make sure your list is full of fulfilling things you like to do (a list of boring activities won't help). And try to include a variety of things that will suit different moods and times of day. Be sure to add a few items that will help you toward your weight goal, too. Here are some ideas to get you started:

If you have 10 minutes…

Write down the foods you've eaten so far today.

Make a grocery list of healthy foods.

Schedule your next exercise session.

Make a pot of herbal tea.

Shop online for a sexy new dress.

If you have 30 minutes…

Go for a walk.

Write in your diary or journal. How do you feel about your weight loss so far? What can't you wait to accomplish?

Read a favorite book.

If you have an hour or more…

Look through healthy recipe ideas.

Clean out your closets. Throw away clothes that are now too big, or donate them to charity.

Go for a long bike ride.

Start a craft project. Needlepoint or decoupage will keep your hands busy, and you'll have something to show for it in the end.

Take your kids to the park.

Spend the afternoon at your local museum. This will get you out of the house and walking around, and what better way to get your mind off food than to absorb a little culture?

NEXT STEPS

Figuring out when boredom-eating attacks happen will help. Read our article for more on How to Get Through Your Hardest Time of Day.

Subscriber Highlight: Focus on your overall progress and not just the number on the scale with our Weight Tracker and Progress Charts.

Ready to start losing weight?

I think our ideas on journaling is key. I have not done this. I think I'll add this to my committment. Have a GREAT day everyone!
  • HalGal,

You sound like me--always busy. It is going to be 110 today in Phoenix and yesterday it was 111. Just knowing how hot it is outside makes me want to just stay inside. However, I have promised myself to go to the gym today. I have already taken my DH for his blood work and while he ate a McDonald's breakfast I shopped in WalMart. I did go off the South Beach program this weekend and one thing I found was how fast you begin to retain water just by adding too many carbs back. I am, however, back on program this morning, but on Phase Two. I simply enjoy the Old Fashioned Oatmeal because you sure get a lot of cereal.

I bowled a 501 yesterday but on Sunday didn't do well in the No-Tap tournament, but I did have a good time! While I am at the gym today I am going to check into how much it costs to hire a personal trainer. I really think this is what I need to get on the right track of exercising.

Well I hope everyone else is having a "great" day and hope to hear from you all soon!

Take care,
    Anita
  • RE: Mango Chicken Spinach Salad

Check out this recipe:

Mango Chichen Spinach Salad

Prep Time: 10 min | Total Time: 10 min
    1 bag (10 oz.) baby spinach leaves
    1 medium mango, peeled, sliced
    1 medium avocado, peeled, sliced
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    2/3 cup Kraft Light Done Right! Raspberry Vinaigrette Reduced Fat Dressing
    2 cups cooked chicken strips (about 10 oz.)

TOSS spinach with mango, avocado and onion in large bowl. Add dressing; mix lightly.
    SPOON onto 5 plates. Top with chicken. Serve immediately.
    Makes: 5 servings
    CALORIES 290, FAT 15 g (sat 2.5 g), CHOL 50 mg,
    SODIUM 390 mg, CARB 21 g, FIBER 5 g, SUGARS 13 g,
    PROTEIN 19 g, DV VIT A 110%, DV VIT C 50%,
    DV CALCIUM 8%, DV IRON 15%

Nita: SO true, I joking tell folks that lose 10 fast pounds on the low carb diet to eat a cookie and gain 11 pounds. The water weight gain is strange - I mean as if you are a sponge. Good to hear from you! Way to go on the bowling - exercise and you enjoy it!

Bye for now!
  • Just a quick hello. I didn't want to go to the gymp last night, but I went. Afterwords I did feel real good. I just wish I would enjoy going more.

need to run... will talk more later..