B1 Vitamin

• I'm sorry. I don't remember who told us about the B1 vitamin (taken with Vitamin C) that's supposed to help us sleep.

Any idea why that doesn't work for me??
  • Do you take enough? You have to get straight up B-1 in the store (not a B vit mixture just straight B-1), it should be 250mg and take it with an at least 500mg vitamin C, couple hours before bedtime.
  • Yup. I wrote down exactly what you wrote. B1 (250 mg) with a 500 mg Vitamin C chaser . Hmm....maybe that's the problem. I don't take it a couple hours before bed, but about 1/2 hour. But shouldn't matter. Still doesn't knock me out for the night. I'm still waking up 2-3 (sometimes 4-5) times a night. *sigh* I'm doomed for life of no sleep!
  • Theo'sgirl: I was just thinking of this myself yesterday but on the web I found out that B-1 is also Thiamin. I get over 150% of my daily requirement of Thiamin in my multi vitamin. I can't find any other info on just B-1.

Is there a difference?
  • My bottle just says B-1 and I buy it at walmart or walgreens. The B-1 trick I got from my natropath doctor because I was having realyy restless sleep and crazy dreams, even though i have it in my multi-vit I take it as needed to get a good nights sleep. It has always worked for me, and my sisiters and friends do it too and they have great results too.
  • I'll keep trying it. If nothing else I'll get some extra vitamins in me
  • I think 5-HTP is also supposed to help get you to sleep - it is also supposed to keep you in a "good mood" as it is the precursor to serotonin (that which makes us happy). Often suggested for use in people who want to get off anti-depressants! You're not supposed to take it in the daytime as it does make you sleepy!

Froufy
  • What is 5-HTP and where do you find something like that??