Sleeping More to Lose Weight - article from ABCNews.com

• Very Interesting.......from someone who climbs into bed each night around 2:30AM and gets up a 7:15AM.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/livin...althology.html
  • hmm interesting
    so how much should we sleep?
  • Well time to hit the sack I guess? nitey nite (tee hee)

Froufy

P.S. I'm always feeling sleep deprived!!!
  • Frodo - I think 8 hours is the target as I've seen in many books. This article states sleep deprivation is 4 hours and excessive sleep is 10 hours. I found this following statement the most interesting though - and the most scary for me given my sleep habits.

"From sleep restriction experiments it's clear that, with just a week of sleep loss, sleeping only four hours a night, insulin levels are higher and the ability of blood sugar to be used is dramatically altered. And these changes developed in healthy young adults in just a week of sleep loss.

The alterations of blood sugar metabolism are termed "impaired glucose tolerance," and this is one of the early stages on the way towards full-blown diabetes. Habitual sleep restriction could play a very important role in increasing risk for diabetes later in life, especially if maintained over many years and decades"
  • I am guilty of not getting enough sleep. Actually when I started induction, I started sleeping more, because I was going to bed earlier to avoid the snack cravings I was having. Then I realised I actually like how I feel after I get a decent night's sleep.
  • I found that since starting Atkins my body wakes me up on its own. It seems I can't go past about 8 hours now if I wanted to. I used to sleep as much as I could, at least 10 hours, and still wake up feeling tired and groggy. Now wether its naturally or the alarm, when my eyes pop open I am sooooo awake! I also sleep way better. I don't have as much of a problem falling asleep and then I sleep through the night, deeply and wake up feeling like I actually got a good night's sleep.
  • I too get up in the AM a lot easier now...but still stay up too late!

Raelynn - I love your new pic. Is that your daughter? Very Cute!
  • Thanks Kim! Yes that's my daughter, although in the fullsized pic, she looks really stunned lol (http://members.shaw.ca/raelynn/b&w1.jpg).
  • Well geeeze louise if your sleeping more you can't be eating (can you ??) so I would suspect you'd lose weight

I could sleep 10 hrs no problem, dd could sleep 12 hrs if I let her.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !
  • I feel sleep deprived!!! In fact It's 9:00 pm. I'm tired as but I know I won't catch much zz's again. I'll try the B1 and Vitamin C again. But the few times I've tried that I didn't sleep either.

Is it possible that I'm burning so much fat it's keeping me awake? Sometimes I swear I can feel myself getting thinner--and sure enough the next day the scale is a pound lighter. Is that odd?