Yay! I exercised today! April

You're on Page 5 of 8
Go to
  • I did 40 minutes of semi HIIT on the treadmill. Well, it was high intensity to me, but probably not 'really'.

Heather - here is a 4 Mile Express video on ebay for 2.99 so far. They are vague though on the shipping and handling...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...672921651&rd=1
  • Way to go chicks!
  • Sunday

Thoroughly cleaned the house for about 5 hours. 1 less thing to worry about while down for the count tomorrow. Did about 2½ hours gardening. Planted an oak tree, and 4 other shrubs, plus made a cactus garden out of my river rocks & purple cacti. Pics later for ya when it all blooms.
  • Jennifer thanks for the info. you rock
    noodles, am gonna miss you take care and hurry back.
    no exercise yesterday took a day of rest with hubb. but today am doing 2 mile WATP. and cleaning like the obsessed woman i am.
  • 30 minute walk this morning

Will be walking to WW and then walking home from there....about 1 hour total
  • Weight Training
    Hey guys. So, I've been really good lately as far as my aerobic exercise goes. Brisk walking twice a week about 1.5 miles and Curves 3 days a week. It was high time for me to start weight training (insert ominous music of your choice here.) So on Saturday I started a full-body beginners workout ... It was awesome while I was doing it As soon as I finished I noticed that my thighs were like JELLO! Today they are on fire (a moment of silence here for my quads ... ) I was able to go on my walk yesterday, strangely enough once I got going I felt MUCH better. Hopefully the same will hold true tonight at Curves ... we'll see. Anyway, it's just going to get better from here on out (right?) (Anyone have any suggestions, words of wisdom etc. ?)
  • Pookie: Hi there! The elliptical is just a godsend, especially if you're injury-prone like I am. There is very little impact on the joints, and the arm handles help develop the shoulders, upper back, etc. I highly recommend it. You may find you can work out longer with it than with the treadmill, as it is not as stressful on the body, especially the feet.

Grace: "Delayed Muscle Soreness" is what you are experiencing. Working out actually damages muscle, to some extent, which eventually irritates the nerves, hence the soreness. As the muscles repair, they get stronger than they were before. Working out a second time doesn't really get rid of the pain, it just gets "masked out" by the work you are doing-- the nerve sensations of the work override the nerve sensations of pain. Eventually you'll be able to work out at this level with no soreness at all, because the body has adapted. This whole thing is a natural cycle and nothing to be worried about.

You can lessen the soreness by doing this: before you work out, take 2 aspirin (if that's o.k. for you). After the workout, get to the shower and use the COLDEST water you can stand, for at least 10 minutes. Massage yourself all over in the shower. Keep moving gently for the rest of the day-- i.e., don't collapse on the couch-- you'll stiffen up. Then, in the evening, draw a warm bath and put some epsom salts in it, soak in that for at least 20 minutes. Make sure you have some quality protein in your evening meal, so the body has something to use to repair the muscles as you sleep. The point of all this is to lessen the inflammation that you get with exercise, so the natural soreness reaction is not amplified. Good Luck!
  • Monday, April 19, 2004: 60 minutes intervals, run/walk
  • Did my GAZELLE today. I also did a lot of WALKING around a mall.

SEEK: Thanks for the reply about the elliptical. Sometimes I wish I had a different machine than the Gazelle. Don't get me wrong I do love my Gazelle, but sometimes I think I could be getting a better workout on another type of machine. It looks like ellipticals really give you an intense workout.

Thanks also SEEK for coming over and visiting us at the WLS forum.

--Pookie
  • My pleasure, Pookie-- I've learned a lot from visiting there, as well as lurking in other forums (or is it fora? I'm confused.) Of course, if you join the gym, you'll find a lot of other toys to play with-- it's just a great big playpen for grownups.
  • Tuesday, April 20, 2004: 45 minutes rowing (with a jo-heave-ho and a bottle of rum...) plus 30 minutes weights.
  • Tuesday...1 hour of bellydancing
  • Tuesday, 20 minutes HIIT.
  • 30 minutes of Pilates!
  • Wednesday, April 21, 2004: 1 hour treadmill, inclines. I wish the rain would let up so I could go play outdoors!