The woes of fatdom

• Hello, just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I am 38 and about 30 lbs overweight right now..I have managed to get about 20 lbs off so far. I have been yo-yo'ing for about 10 yrs now and I am steadily going up to bigger weights each time . This scares me silly.

I need a real change in lifestyle that is permanant or I will stay on this fatdom treadmill getting fatter and fatter. Its not only about the fat either, its about health.

I am in a new country in a new marriage (2 yrs last month), have a 12 yr old son and we all need to lose weight. I have always worked full time but this last 2 yrs I am a stay at home wife/mother. Not knowing the language is a real inhibitor to employment and I am learning but its slower than I would like. My son is darn right fluent in the language here and lost all but 10 lbs of what he needed to lose. My sons progress in all areas is certainly a bright spot!! My husband and I have only lost about 20 lbs each and my wonderful hubby needs to lose about 80 more. My poor husband just LOOKS at junk food and he gains weight!

I hope I can find the support and info here to establish some real change in my habits. I also hope I can offer support or any information/recipes that will help others too. I am a bit isolated in my situation currently and it makes it so hard.
  • my goodness, sommar. you certainly have a lot of stress in your life!!!! but it also sounds like you have a wonderful new hubby and a great son.

check around the other threads around these parts... there's lots of great advice and wisdom. what's your plan? exercise?

hang out!!! it'll be fun.
  • Thanks Jiffypop. LOL I do seem to have a bit of stress, but then again who dosent??

Diet so far is the diet drinks and some food. Trying to keep calories low. Also doing one hour of walking per day. We have many great paths here for walks and bikes. I am trying to see fruit as a snack over my previous choices.

My husband and I were doing great until christmas. We took a break to enjoy the holiday food and the break ended up extended for the last few months! ARGGGGH! Gained some of it back

Just curious, what kind of plan do you follow? I have to commend you, by your sig it looks like you lost half your body weight! You also seem to be on the long term track and thats what I have to learn to achieve. Any advice on how to deal with long term dieting?