LCFS week of March 14th

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Goodmorning All: Wow Sugar the deer story was sad. Scarey for you and how that poor animal was suffering. I think I forgot to tell you what a great picture of the girls. I told my DD to check her computer for pictures and send them on. My brother's screen saver is personal pictures of his last holiday to Greece. My next project is a screen saver of Coco pictures. I phoned him last night but he wasn't home. We are going to the big city (Barrie) and will check computer books in Chapter's. Chapter's is like your Barnes & Noble. I will pick up a coffee and find a comfy chair and read. Told DH he can go to Home Depot and hang out and pick me up later. A little break from the 24/7 of each others company. Than we will do "lunch". Nikki laughed over your DH's quiet trip home. Yes we are to be mind readers. Glad you got the bike. I have one in storage at DS's maybe I should have him bring it up. Aleka I was watching CNN and they were talking about how more than 50% of American's have lost confidence in the economy. One step closer to Florida Right!!!! Did anybody see Martha Stewart's DD on Larry King last night? A very all together young lady. Well the DD and DS have both sent emails while I have been typing this. It is a beautiful day so off to enjoy it. Will be back later
  • Aleka, what a tale of the brown bear!!!!! That must have been horrifying! You were watching the whole thing!!! Had I known my thundering crashes were caused by a huge deer, I wouldn't have been nearly so frightened. But had I thought they were caused by a bear!!!!!!! There aren't large enough Depends to have served that night. I also missed the winter squash on SSing. They are so superior to summer squash, which is okay but not a mouth-pleaser, warm hug (at least for me ) like butternut, acorn, and really any winter version.

Lynn, you have such a beautiful daughter as well as a beautiful Coco. No wonder you love them both very much. It took us 7 years to get into getting a new pet after Mr. Mills died, but once we got the girls, our hearts were better immediately. I wish we had not waited so long. Hope your husband will realize that you can light a hundred candles from one flame without making any burn less brightly. He would take to that warm fuzzy snuggle pretty quickly, I'll bet. Doesn't it make you feel good to succeed at a computer project that has stymied you for days??? Sure does me. I felt so smart yesterday when I got the girls "online."

Oh Oh!! A new bike, Nikkic! How neat. I miss those unspoken directions sometimes too...sometimes on purpose ...but DH softens up pretty easily later. A little sittin' in the lap usually does it. I think any sort of inspiration to get one moving is great. And we really do need to be refreshed sometimes. Go girl, as the kids say! (I think I heard that on TV somewhere...certainly not from any of my silvered friends.) Actually, I read the caption!!!!! Are you going to tell us today what frightened you so, Nikkic? You've heard our bear story and our deer tale...maybe just talking about it would help you deal with it a little. I don't mean to pry though. Please don't take it that way!

The water garden man was delayed until after lunch because of drizzle but they managed to get it all uncovered and cleaned out. Today it is so beautiful flowing freely again. It is so restful. I don't hear the water, but everyone else does and just the sight is magnificent. We have slope on the side of our house in plain view of our living room and the dining room all the time as well. It probably drops about 10 feel in the thirty feet of the stream, which has a crook and three tiny shallow ponds (maybe 6 inches in the middle) before the stream dumps into the tiny deeper "lake", we call it. It isn't but about 10-12 feet in an irregular oval and three feet deep with goldfish in it. It starts from a big rock outcropping at ground level so we don't have any built-up look to it...just natural, and then each little pond has a ledge at the edge where the water empties into the next lower one. There is a pipe underground that pumps the water back up into the top. The darned pump died a month ago and it is going to cost $480 to replace it. Gonna take a lot of lap sitting to get DH through this pain!!!!! But he loves to look at it too. We can enjoy it all year round because even the leaf netting is so fine you can't see it. We have a tiny gazebo beside the larger pond where the wedding party will be saying vows. I foresee lots and lots of working hours to make this "el perfecto"...if mother nature cooperates.

Must be off to work. The sweeper calls.

Sugardrop
  • Good morning,
    I tried to write it for 2 hours, what bothers me so much. After rewriting it several times and rereading it, I realized I can write about it, but I can't bring myself to send the reply. For me, it's like a bad song that keeps repeating over and over again. I've had a long, interesting life, that reminds me of a Steven King novel at times. I don't think your prying or anything like that when you ask me about it, I know your just wondering and concerned and letting me have a way to talk about something. Even writing this much has me questioning what I've said, so I think that is all I can say about it. I'm not trying to be secretive, I just can't talk about it, I don't know how. Anyway, thanks for your care and concern. I appreciate that you do give me a place to talk about anything.

Sugar, your water garden sounds like something out of House Beautiful or Better Homes and Garden. How lovely and restful it must be. I had to laugh when you were talking about sitting in DH's lap. I weigh 222 lbs and if I tried to sit in his lap, I don't think it would make him too happy He complains when our 12 lb cat sits on his lap, he says she's too heavy
    Acorn squash is my favorite, but I have to have it drenched in butter and brown sugar. Just like mom use to make.

Aleka, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to close the shop. I was hoping things might pick up with people getting their tax returns back. Things change in a persons life and you have no control over them. It feels so frustrating. It may be hard to believe now, but this could be the beginning of a brand new, exciting and fun life for you and DH in FLA. I know it's got to be really hard for you both.

Lynn, I missed LK last night. I wondered what Martha's DD would be like.
    Better get going, I did 9 minutes on the new bike and thought I'd pass out. DH did 15 and he said it was a good workout. Since he does 3 miles on the treadmill daily, that made me feel like less of whoosie.
    Nikki
  • Saw this and thought of you all. Enjoy!!I have posted the following message on our front door...
    .. Rules for Non-pet owners who visit and like to complain about our
    pets:

1. They live here; you don't.

2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the
    furniture.

3. I like my pet better than I like most people. To you it's an
    animal. To me he and/or she is an adopted son and/or daughter who is
    short, hairy, walks on all fours and is speech challenged. Dogs and
    cats are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the
    time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your
    car, don't hang out with drug using friends, don't drink or smoke,
    don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes,
    don' t need a gazillion dollars for college, and if they get pregnant,
    you can sell the results.

Pass this on to all your pet loving friends as well as those who
    aren't...it's too cute not to share...
    !
  • Lynn,
    I agree with the whole thing, it's too cute Thanks for sharing it, Nikki
  • TGIF!

lynn, I forgot to mention that you have a very pretty D. The rules for non-pet owners is awfully cute. I will copy and paste it for my own use. I have a friend who is really not a pet person, she likes them, but not to the extent all of us here do. She came to the house one day and Lacee licked her hand. She told Lacee in a very nice way not to do that because she ate with that hand, then proceeded to wash her hands. DH & I just looked at each other I know what it's like living with DH 24/7 and it is nice to have some away time. I didn't see Martha Stewart's D, but did see some of the taped interview when they were showing it on the news. I had never seen her D before. I agree, she is an altogether young lady, and I'm sure who she has for a mother, she can be nothing but. On my personal screen saver I have pictures of Lacee and all our other animals that we had, plus my photos I took when my cousin & I went to NYC before Christmas.

nikki, I don't think you are being the least bit secretive. Whatever happened it's very painful for you. Right now is not the time for you to speak/write about it. When the time is right, if ever, you will. My heart goes out to you because I don't feel that anyone should have to live with that kind of fear. I have read that sometimes if you write everything down, all you anger, fears, and frustrations, let it all out, then rip it up, that it may help you feel better. Thank you for your words of encouragement about my move to FL. Sometimes when I think about it, I get so scared about uprooting ourselves that I wonder if we're doing the right thing. I am trying to put a positive spin on things by thinking this is an exciting brand new chapter in our lives. Actually, it doesn't take much when I'm freezing inside the house, even though the heat is up to 70, and when I look outside and see nothing but white.

Sugar, your water garden sounds soooo beautiful and peaceful. When it's in full bloom, please take a picture of it and post it (not an avatar), I would love to see it. I got a good laugh out of your lap sitting and your remark about Depends. We actually didn't see the whole thing with the bear. When the bear tore the birdfeeders off of the porch we heard a crash and that's what woke us up. When we looked to see what was going on he was on the ground and we could hear him breaking into the plastic on the birdfeeders and you could hear him breathing and snorting. He left perfect holes in one of our screens in the shape of his claws, and he tore an 11" bolt DH had bolting the birdfeeders onto the house out, and bent it. At that time our porch was nothing but a deck the previous owners had screened in. We have since redone the porch by taking down the old porch and deck then putting up a new 3 season room. When the men tore down the old porch I had hoped they would leave enough of the screen where the bear tore into it, but in all the mess DH couldn't find it. That was my first encounter with a bear, and hopefully my last.

ANNE, this is the end of your work week, now you've got 2 days without dealing with Hope your week went well.

Have a good day everyone
    Aleka
  • Happy Friday All:

I am always releived to see this day come around Its been a pretty good
    week so far, be haven't seen much of because she is too busy with
    the auditors to drop around.

We are in for a fabulous day today. It will be sunny and above zero, what
    more could you ask for on the last day of winter girls
    One good thing about moving to Florida Aleka is no more snow!! Bet that
    one just breaks your heart

Did any one watch Larry King last night? I was suprised to hear Tammy Faye
    has lung cancer. Does anyone know if she smoked? I also heard this week
    Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones has emphasema. I guess time is marching
    on!!

Talk to you later.
    Anne.
  • undefinedundefinedundefinedGoodmorning All: It is a fabulous morning here. A good to be alive morning!!!!! I actually slept from about 12 until 5 so am feeling better than I have for a while.Had a good day yesterday in Barrie. Before I forget does anybody know the differance between wallpaper and screen saver? Read some books in chapters but I can't seem to concentrate, the lack of sleep might have something to do with it. We had forgotten it was March break and everywere we went there were kids. I don't mind kids but at this stage of their holiday their mothers are very frustrated and they are bored so made for a noisey time. Thanks Aleka DD is as beautiful on the inside if I do say so myself LOL. Havn't heard from Springer rescue but DD has talked to a breeder and guess were she is Barrie!!!! half an hour away. I have promised myself that I am going to walk today so will check in later.
  • lynn, this I do know. Wallpaper is the background on your screen when you log onto your computer. You can choose any photo from your screen saver for your wallpaper. Screen savers are a series of photos and/or shapes that keep appearing in random order and only stay on for a few seconds or you can have one image that has animated or moving parts to it. For example, we have a screen saver that's a haunted house. The haunted house is always there, but it has doors, windows, shutters, ghosts and other eerie stuff that keeps moving. A screen saver keeps moving in order not to burn the image on your screen. On our computer at the bottom left hand corner, we have a set of icons. We can click onto one of the icons to change the wallpaper or to start the screen saver. Have I confused you? I'm not good at explaining things. Glad that you're having a wonderful day. I also slept good last night.
    Aleka
  • Thanks Aleka: Found some sights for screen savers and wallpaper will go play now. I am sending a morning laugh enjoy This has got to be one of the best singles ads ever read. The
    following ad
    placed in The Atlanta Journal is reported to have received numerous
    calls:
    >
    >
    >SINGLE BLACK FEMALE seeks male companionship, ethnicity unimportant.
    I'm a very good-looking girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in
    the
    woods, riding in your pickup truck, hunting, camping and fishing trips,
    cozy winter nights lying by the fire. Ca ndlelight dinners will have
    me
    eating out of your hand. Rub me the right way and watch me respond.
    I'll be
    at the front door when you get home from work, wearing only what nature
    gave me. Kiss me and I'm yours. Call (404)875-6420 and ask for Daisy.
    >
    >Over 15,000 men found themselves talking to the Atlanta Humane Society
    about an 8-week old black Labrador retriever.
    >
    >MEN ARE SO EASY.
  • Tammy Faye has lung cancer....I hadn't heard that. One of the four fish who survived the winter in our pond is named after her. She is bright orange with a white face, huge orange lips (as though she has outlined a bit too much with her pencil ), and orange rims around her eyes...maybe a little too much liner there too? We have had her for four years. She was one of the first.

Aleka, this is our fifth season beginning with the water garden. It was a freely-given gift to me from DH because he knew I had always loved flowers and yard work. We both love it a lot, but had I even dreamed the amount of work it takes to keep it looking picture-perfect DAILY, I would have thought long and hard about putting it in! If he were able to help me...but bending and stooping is impossible for him. The riding lawn mower is all he can do, and that only in short bursts because of the arthritis. I would love to share a photo of it when it gets in bloom, but how in the world would that be possible on here? You struggled with Lynn and me through the avatar project, now we need more help with a new one!

I fear that I may have charged in where angels fear to go or simply not been on site long enough to know the background of some of the things we talk about. Please forgive me, Aleka, if I have seemed insentitive. I did not know that you are closing your business because of any reason other than choice. When you speak of moving to Florida, all I have picked up on is that you are looking forward to a change in the weather...more sunshine, less snow! Of course you must be having quite a struggle with decisions if they are forced upon you by the economy or any other reason. It takes a lot of prayer and positive thoughts to work through such times. I do hope things turn up for you soon. At least your precious Lacee can help you when things seem hard for you.

Nikkic, I also want to say I am sorry if my offhand kidding remark about your problem hit a sore spot. You have been so kind to me here that I wouldn't hurt you for the world. We all have things that are stored away that can only be dealt with when the right moment comes. Your privacy is certainly yours to keep without my even inadvertent intrusion.

Well, now for some REALLY bad news! Old Sugardrop had the big weigh in this morning and must confess that four meals out this week (yes, four for a woman who usually has NONE) have taken quite a toll. I ate legally with carbs in all instances, but evidently the quantities were far to copious! I gained .8 of that famous pound right back! I am hoping that it is only fluid because I am sure things I ate were more sodium-filled than things I fix here. Two of the meals were at that darned new Mexican restaurant!!!!! Hope you all are doing much better.

Sugardrop
  • Good morning,
    I have one of those days ahead of me that are packed full of things to do and not enough hours to do them in. To top it all off, my coffee pot died yesterday, it was on it's last legs for months and I was certainly sad to see it go So, I have to get a new one too. That is always a good reason to go shopping! DH, says to just quit drinking coffee, but he usually gets his from the convience store anyway, so what does he know.

Anne, I did catch part of that interview with Tammy Faye and was sorry to hear she has lung cancer. I don't know if she smoked or not.
    Hope you have a relaxing weekend off.

Oh, shoot, I got to run, will check back later, Nikki
  • Sugar,
    Oh, you in no way offended me and what you said didn't hit a sore spot. It is just what happened was so foreign to what you or anyone here can imagine, that I can't even begin to think of how to talk about it. I think I'll give it a try when I have some time to really sit and think. The other day, I sat and tried for 2 hours and it just never looked right.
    I think your just the sweetest person and your name certainly suits you
    Now don't even give it another thought, I'll talk to you all later, Nikki
  • Sugar, you weren't in the least bit insensitive. So, please don't give it another thought. More sunshine and no snow is one of the main reasons we chose FL. We have been visiting relatives down there for quite a number of years and really love it. One major factor in deciding not to wait things out to see of they got better is, that this winter it was brutally cold here, and neither one of us could get warm. The cold actually hurt. We decided that we did not want to spend another winter in this climate. The one thing that's preying on my mind is cleaning out this house!! We've lived in this house for 10 yrs. and I can't believe all the stuff we've accumulated in that time. It is exciting to go online and look at houses down there, then we e mail my IL's to ask them that when they're out and about if they'd mind looking at whatever property we've seen to get their feedback. They are a riot!! They no sooner shut their computer down when they're off and running!

Aleka
  • Good evening everyone,
    We had a super wonderful day. It was 65 degrees and you didn't even need a coat. It is suppose to go back into the 40's now and rain the rest of the week, so I really did enjoy today.
    I took DD #2 to the Dr as she was without a car. Then DD#1 and I went out to eat, (#2 did feel well enough) and after, I went back to her place and put her new exercise bike together. Hers was $80 cheaper than mine and it sure is cheaper made. But, she's happy with it and that's all that matters. She really doesn't get into exercise. Her sister is the fanatic and exercises almost too much.
    Lynn, that is a cute little want ad. You always bring a smile to my face, thanks!
    Sugar, we have visited our Mexican restaurant too many times too this past week. It is so delicious and the servings are huge. I know your suppose to take 1/2 of it home with you, but that stuff isn't any good for leftovers and I have a hard time leaving such good food on my plate. I told DH we will have to buckle down now. He loves it there too.
    Your Tammy Faye fish is hilarious. How do you all come up with such good names? I have such a hard time with naming things, too many of our cats have been named kitty. We've had Big Kitty, Little Kitty, then the ever popular Kitty Kitty.
    I have a new coffeepot. I bought it last year from QVC (it's a shopping channel in the US). It was on clearance and I stuck it away for a gift, but didn't have anyone to give it to (the DD's gave up coffee). I realized I had it stuck in the closet, so I said Merry Christmas to me and put it on the counter. It has a built in coffee grinder and I can't wait to use it in the morning.
    Have a good night, Nikki