No exercise for 4 weeks! What now?

• Hi ladies,

Well, after several painful attacks I have finally been to the Dr and it is confirmed that I have gallstones, and my gallbladder is diseased. Surgery is this Friday. It's commonly done and I am not really worried about the surgery, I am more worried about the recovery.

FOUR weeks of no exercise!!

I am hoping that halfway through maybe I can get on the treadmill, even if just to walk at a leisurely pace. But how am I going to do this? I am worried that this will begin a bad habit again ...

On the other hand, maybe the mandatory break will be what I need to start the Spring with a BANG!

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Kelly

245/140s/135
  • I just went thru this myself - only it was SIX WEEKS after my tummy tuck.

My PS gave very explicit instructions: "No running, jogging, weight training, or horseback riding for six weeks after surgery" and "Do not lift over 10 pounds for four weeks".

Like Jack said...for the first 3-4 weeks after the surgery, I really didn't feel like eating at all, or much, in the first place...on 1 January, I started walking on the treadmill (for like 10 minutes at a time) and the elliptical...just gradually getting back into things.

I'd say LISTEN to your doctor. If you have a question about WHY you can't exercise, or want to ask if you can do specific things like walking on the treadmill - ASK. Your body needs to concentrate on healing after surgery...give yourself a chance to do so!