Need Buddies who want to lose 20-30 Ibs

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi There!
    I'm a new member and I think this site is amazing. I'm looking for support from others who have maybe been a little lazy or in denial and have realized that the scale is creeping up ever so slowly and want to stop the train before it goes off the track. I only have 22 pounds to lose which isn't much compared to some people but it's the last 10-20 Ibs that are the most stubborn. My weight gain can be attributed to my 2 pregnancies and I'm tired of the chub and want my old body back.

Hope to hear from you!
  • Hi Scoob!

I just found this message board while I was trying to find some "encouragement" to help me on my mission to lose weight. I always feel kind of funny looking for a weight loss buddy because, like you, I don't need to lose a huge amount, but I am looking to lose 20 pounds. It's just soooooo hard, once you've had 2 kids and you love food!! I tried the Atkins thing with my husband beginning on New Year's and have lost a pound or two, but can't stick with the "no bread" thing. So I've switched to Weight Watchers and am very excited about losing some "Serious" weight! Like you, my weight just seems to creep up and I want to lose it and keep it off. I'd love to hear from you!
    cw/gw 148/130
    I'd like to lose this 18-20 pounds by summer!
  • Welcome Scoob and Highcats!!

I'm so glad that the two of you have found this site. It's wonderful and everyone here is so supportive and caring. No one ever passes judgement which, in my case, really helps keep the motivation going at times.

I also only have 20-25lbs that I want to lose. It seems that I can't get those last 20lbs. or so to stay off, or to just get off!! I have tried in the past to do atkins only to fail...I guess I was just so selfish, that I didn't want to limit everything from my diet. (hmmmmm....maybe that's why those last 20 won't come off! ) But if either of you try atkins, the support forum is wonderful. The ladies and gents...are so nice and caring and they answer every question you need to know. And if they can't answer, they try to find one!!
    Right now, I'm just keeping my portions at a decent size...meaning no heapings or extra helpings.. I eat more vegetables and I'm slowly getting back into exercising more.

I currently post with the Jaded Ladies..we talk about everything, it's not limited to just weight. You are both free to join or just to pop in and visit. We would love to have you.
    There are so many great forums here, I hope you both find one that you're comfortable with!

Good luck to both of you and Welcome again!!

Marti
  • Hey, i'm new to this site and chat sites in general. i just decided to look for one today as i was considering eating a handful of chocolate chips and wishing i had someone there to talk me out of it. i also have 2 kids, the youngest is 20 months and i need to loose 20 lbs by summer to get back to my pre pregnancy weight (i've already lost 20, i gained 60lbs with each of my pregnancies!!) My biggest problem is portion size control and boredome eating, i enjoy excersize which is probably what keeps me from ballooning out of control.
    looking for people to share recipies, tips, encouragement.
  • Well Hello Highcats, M.N.J. and Elasky! Nice to hear from you!

So it looks like we all want to drop 20 pounds in time for summer. I'm fantasizing about summer right now since it is -29 C or -40 C with the wind chill right now. Of course it is wintertime in Canada but these temperatures are crazy!. I haven't even thought of trying the Atkins diet. I'm a 100% carbo chick. Bread rules my life. For now the weight loss has been going okay. After saying to myself there is no way that I'm going to keep a food diary or count calories, I have recently started counting calories (1800 max per day) and finally the weight is disappearing. I also do aerobic exercise 1/2 hour a day. Once I hit a plateau I will have to start cutting down the carbs. I just want to see how far I can get before I have to do this. I've heard great things about Weight Watchers and if I need help I think that's where I'll go. You know if it wasn't for this site with it's success stories and words of encouragement I'm sure that I would be sitting on the couch now with a plate full of cheese and crackers and a coke!

Hope to hear from you guys. I'm usually on around 10pm est after my two monkeys are in bed.
  • i was on atkins last winter, it's tough and you CAN'T cheat, it also makes you constipated. but it did give me a good head start, i didn't try to start dieting until i was done breastfeeding my little one and with atkins i lost 10lbs right away. i don't count calories or keep a diary. i just try not to eat any simple carbohydrates and limit my fat intake. if you like cheese and crackers, try these great crackers called "ak-mak", they're whole wheat and sesame, very little fat and calories and lots of fiber, and Cabot 75% fat free cheddar cheese, it's great! you can eat a small platefull of cheese and crackers for about 150 calories and it's loaded with protien and fiber. i blew it last night though, my kids nagged me to make desert for them so i made this package of lemon bars that had been sitting in my cabinet for a good three months, so i figured i mine as well use them up. they were like soft lemon lolly pop on pie crust, and i ate 3 of them!! now i need to go to the gym and work out double time. this kind of impulsivity is the reason i havent' been able to loose, i'm good for a couple days and then i'll blow all my progress on endulging in a desert one night.
  • I need a buddy too!
    Hi there, I am a newbee and I just wanted to say hi. I still don't understand how all this works but I hope to figure it out! I am tring to incorporate sugar busters into my life and it is really hard. I am 5'9 and I weigh 230 wich is about 50lbs over my ideal weight. I am a muscular woman, I have always been told that I don't look 230 people including my husband think I look like I weigh only 170 or so. Still I know that I am not as healthy as I could be and I am only 27 and I want to get a hold of this weight before it gets a hold of me. Please if you have any ideas or inspirational things to tell me please do so, I would be so thankful. By the way my name is Robin and I live in Washington State. Thanks for your tiime. Dentalgrl
  • Hi Elasky
    I know what you mean about impulse control! I usually have no impulse control at all. For example, I know that if I have some sort of social event to go to I am going to eat what I want but I make sure that that is the only day that month that I pig out a little bit. This way I get to enjoy myself and not have any guilt. I promised myself after my children were born that I was going to put my foot down. I know that if I don't do it now I may never get the motivation to do it. I have 4 or 5 months in which to lose the weight safely so really there's no excuse. Would you find the cheese and crackers that you were talking about in the grocery store or a health food store? I live 2 minutes away from the American border and it amazes me how much more selection you guys have in the grocery store. So you had some lemon squares! Enjoy and get back on the wagon.

Also, Hello to Dentalgrl!
  • tip for dentalgirl
    Dental girl
    i'm very muscular too, i'm 5'6" and 180lbs and people say i don't look it, even when i was 150lbs people said that. Boy i looked great at 150lbs. but i'm in much better physical shape now than i was then, and honestly i only want to lose 20lbs to get back to where i was before i got pregnant with my last baby. so, the trick is, WEIGHT TRAIN. you gotta work those muscles girl! you'd be surprised to know, you probably have a high metabolism, as do i, because of your muscle mass. work to strengthen and build those muscles and you'll be a calorie burning machine. i do about 30 minutes of wieght training followed by 30 minutes of cardio atleast 4 times a week, and it's paying off. i'm starting to see some definition and even after pigging out over the holidays i didn't gain weight. if i just diet a little, just watch my carbs and desert, i can loose about 3lbs per week. my problem is i only watch my eating about every other day I only have about 7lbs to loose to fit into my (baggier) pre pregnant clothes!! i need some encouragement too.
  • to scoob
    i found the cheese and crackers in a regular grocery store, Shaws supermarket, i live in Connecticut, but stores vary in what they have, you know. thanks for the encouragement. i can't seem to control myself at parties and whatnot either! but for me too it's usually just once in a while. my rule is not keeping any garbage food in my house. i keep a box of cookie or brownie mix around in case i have to bring something to a school function for one of my kids, but like the lemon bar mix, it usually just sits in my cabinet. so when i look around in the day, there's no junk to eat, so most of the time i just eat a piece of fruit or find something else to do. Hey, question, can they delete a thread? i started a thread yesterday and now it's gone. i think a couple people were offended by the truth, could they have tattled on me and had my thread deleted? can anyone delete a thread?
  • Only moderators can delete a thread. Nobody needs to tattle, the moderators cruise all the posts and delete the ones that may be offensive or may incite heated arguments.
  • thanks mthrgoose for the info.
  • I closed your thread and, after discussion, the mods decided to delete it. I received several PMs from people who were very offended. This whole site is about support and we try very hard not to be critical of other members. The thread upset several Chicks who have eating disorders and was not appropriate in the Buddy Up sub-Forum which is where most new folks start out. Some sites have a "war Zone" for controversy but we don't - and prefer not to!
    Now, let's just relax and get on with it.
    Good for you for keeping the garbage out of the house! I threw out a half bag of chocolate covered raisins this morning and am trying hard not to bring bad stuff into the house too.
  • i understand that it may not have been appropriate in the "Buddy up" forum, i just started it there because i was new, i still am, only been talking here a few days. i wasn't trying to offend anybody, i'm not one who tries to offend, trust me. i am just one who appreciates the truth. i guess people can accept the truth from some and not others. Take Dr. Phil for example, but i suppose even some people are offended by him too. if i was a "professional" would my post have been considered good advice? which is all i intended. well, i'm an RN and have been studying and practicing nutrition and good health habits my whole life, i've never been thin, i have a more athletic, voluptuous build which i guess is just now in style, but growing up i had a lot of self esteem issues and got used to watching what i eat and excersizing. so i've been doing this a long time.
    i really want a buddy who i can talk to when i think about binging on chocolate and they will talk me out of it, even if it means showing a little tough love, and vice versa. really, i'm not trying to start any trouble.
  • Check out Announcements and Forum Help - the first one above. I've brought up the avatar info. You can also practice in there if you wish rather than put it in this thread.
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...035#post498035