...almost 40 (sigh) mom, looking for a support buddy

• Hi! I am 39 years old and am bound and determined to get this weight off before I turn 40 in July....well, some of it anyway. I work 3 jobs as well as am a mother of two WONDERFUL teen aged daughters. I have been married for 20 years to a guy that could stand to loose weight too but is unwilling to admit it. My 17 year old daughter is heading down the same path as I am and would like to nip it in the bud now. We are all so, so busy that fast food and/or food that is "on the run" and unhealthy is our main menu. I weigh 280 and my daughter is at 190. She is very active in sports so I know that the genes she has been given are the same ones that scream "You can't eat that...or it'll go straight to your hips!" My almost 13 year old is as skinny as a rail, has bundles of energy, and can eat anything and everything. So, if anyone out there is interested in helping me (us) out by chatting and/or emailing me. PLEASE DO!
  • Hi. I am a 33 yr old mother of 5 and I feel like the more support the better! I am 5'4" and weigh 176 as of this afternoon. I have between 35-40 lbs to lose and just started today on my new regime. I am feeling really motivated right now and hope that this feeling lasts. I live in Utah and do all of my exercise inside right now because of the cold. Let me know if you want to team up. Jillmommyc-
  • Hi to Caturine and JillmommyC. Welcome to the 3fc forums. Isn't it amazing that one day we look in the mirror and 'shock, horror' that can't be me comes bubbling forth from our lips - followed closely but 'how in heck did that happen'
    You've come to the right place for help and support. This forum has kept me on the straight and narrow for a couple of years now. I love it.
    I post both on the threads and the Members journal which keeps track of my daily doings (so to speak). I would suggest that you spend a bit of time just rummaging around the threads and seeing which ones would suit the lifestyle you lead.
    There are support groups who tend to become best buddies, health based group, forums for religious groups and those who suffer from health issues. There is also one for teens only and one for men! There are some really great people on each of them. Also go and register for a journal. Start posting there and someone somewhere will pick up on your questions and the help will come thick and fast.
    I really hope you enjoy yourselves here at 3FC. I have never met such a caring, bright and friendly bunch of women (oh and men too!) They have been of great support to me.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to come and talk to me and the others on 'Focused Chicks of the World'. We are happy to help.
  • Hi Caturine!

Welcome to 3FC! We have very similar lives going on at the same time! I too am 39 years old, will be 40 in September and have been on a quest to be fit by 40 for over a year now. My top weight was 317, which was in November of 2002, I currently am 235. If I can do it, you can do it! Would love to buddy up with you, emails, chats, I am here for you.

I have three children, boy (15), girl (14) and girl (6). And my girls are the ones that are following my path. We are busy too and use to do the fast food trap all the time as well, inbetween events. But I don't do that anymore. If anything I pack a cooler almost every day at lunch time with good foods, cut up veggies, fruits, cheeses and hard boiled eggs, ff lunch meat (which I know is not the best choice, but far from the worst). Trust me, my kids hated it at first, but now they love it.

Would love to hear from you!

God Bless!
  • Hi Caturine. I am newly turned 36 and just found this sight. I too have teenage daughters. One is 16 and very overweight and has lost weight before but gained it all plus extra back. My 15 year old is slightly overweight but losing along with me. I was diagnosed in November with type 2 diabetes and told i had to lose weight. November 22 I weighed in at 356 lb. January 8 I weighed 334 lb. So I thing I am well on my way. I just need some extra moral support. My husband and girls are great but any extra can't help. hope to hear from you soon.