Desperately Need a Diet Buddy #20

You're on Page 19 of 24
Go to

• Guess the prodigal sister has finally returned

After months in the wilderness, and a doctor telling me if I didn't lose weight I'd be on insulin in a year and dead in 10....I joined (or is that re-re-re-re-re-re-re-joined) WW

I'm actually really excited about it. The leader is South African and really awe-inspiring. I've also made a commitment to myself that this is for life. When I reach my goal I'm going to stay committed to WW, otherwise I'll give in again and end up back in the same place.

Things are fine here. I've just completed my second year at uni (apart from the missed exams from when I was ill in January)....once I sit my missed exams next month I'll be ready to start my final year of the degree.

The kids are growing up fast. Natty is 10 (going on 25), and changing shape much faster than her parents are ready for!!!! I think somehow she's going to be blessed with a cleavage like her Mom's!

Dom is nearly nine now, and mad about ice hockey (no idea how that happened!!! ). He plays for an under 10 team and has Alan driving 50 mile round trips to the ice rink four times a week!!!

Anyway, I'm here, and gosh, I've really missed you all

Love
    Jo xxx
  • OMG

CONGRATULATIONS BRANDY!!!!! I've just noticed you reached your 10%!!!!! Well done hon, I'm so proud of you!!!

• Jo! Hi!!! Glad to have you back. And another WW buddy, super! Thanks for all the updates and again, soooooo glad to have you back! You start weight is where I am NOW so I guess we'll be working towards that next 10% together. COOL!

B
  • It's good to be back. I'll just have to make sure it's for good this time!
  • Welcome back Jo!
  • Is this an open thread or can anyone join? I am in desparate need of support in my need to lose weight. I defeat myself and need someone to talk to.
  • Hi PT

This is a great thread and anyone can join. Some of us have been together since the first thread, #1, which I started three years ago

As you can see, sometimes the downs cancel out the ups, but we have had some incredible success stories over the years, and while it may seem a hard road, we've always had hope, and encouragement on this thread.

In fact, I've drifted by the wayside more than once, when life became too much, but I'm back and positive.

You're more than welcome to stick around, and we'll encourage you as much as we can.

Jo
  • Desparately Need a Diet Buddy
    Thank you Jo. I have been in a long time struggle with my weight and struggle still to this day. Intellectually I know what works as I work in the fitness field, however, I can not motivate myself to complete any type of program or even begin. I have even gone to the point of trying hypnosis. I guess my sub-conscious overpowers my conscious because I self defeat. Does anyone have any suggestions.
  • Welcome Chris!
  • Diet Buddy
    I guess the way I need to begin is to review various "proven" eating plans. I know that Weight Watchers is highly recommended by the FDA. I feel that since I am quite active I need my carbs so that eliminates Atkins, plus I am not really into all of the high levels of protein since all of my family has high blood pressure, heart problems, etc. except me. I have looked at and heard good comments and results from Bill Phillips Body For Life eating program. Any input? Pros and Cons? Suggestions?
  • Hi Chris

There is a Body for Life forum in the General Diets section http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42844

If you are into weight training there is Ladies and Gents Who Lift, most of us in that forum have done/still do BFL or something similar... But we are here or there to have fun and help each other...

Please join anywhere on 3FC where you feel the most comfortable...
  • THREE YEARS???

WOW!!!

Welcome Chris! Personally, Body For Life just seems impractical for me. I don't know tons about it but it just seems like BFL would take over my life and eventually, just be too consuming for me to keep up. I like WW because it's not my WHOLE life, but it works. If you are an all or nothing person, maybe BFL would work for you. It would set the bar too high for me. I know I'm never going to work out THAT much and restrict my food to that extent, and I don't want to. But that's me.

As for the self-defeating thing - sometimes it helps to know why you do things, and sometimes you just have to get around the things you do. We ALL have self-defeating bahaviors or we wouldn't be over-weight. I can spend the rest of my life trying to figure out why, or I can set some limits and try to keep myself from behaving that way. As I am not that introspective, I'm far more likely to change my behaviors and form new habits than I am to delve into my psche and try to figure me out.

Good luck in whatever you try, and welcome to our little group. We've been together for three years (really??? three???) and there are some great girls here!

Brandy

P.S. Exactly two months till I go on vaca - let's see how much weight one girl can lose in a two month panic diet
  • Yep, three whole years!!!

I joined 3fc in May 2001, and my first every post was the start of a thread called 'Desperately Need a Diet Buddy'

Funny how time flies!!!!

Brandy, is your vacation down to stay with family???
  • I can't believe it's been three years! WOW!

We have rented a house in Fla on the beach (we went there a few years ago) and we'll be having family stay with us. It was soooo much fun last time and we've really been looking forward to. And our dog likes the beach too! This is sort of my Christmas gift from my husband. He got a new fancy schmancy laptop and all I could think of was VACATION. So yes, my Christmas gift is coming like nine months late. Hee.

B
  • Welcome Chris! I'm following the South Beach Diet which is a "good fats, good carbs" diet. So that may be an option for you.

Jo - It's been 3 years for me as well and I can't believe it. Next year we should have a 4 year reunion!

Nicole - I PMd you to get a recipe that I'm dieing for.

Talk to you soon.