Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 11/10-11/16

You're on Page 7 of 14
Go to
View Poll Results: With the Holiday Season here, what are your predictions on the scale come New Years
I think I will stay the same as I am now.
8.33%
I suspect I will be up 1-2lbs from where I am now.
8.33%
I speculate I will be up 3-4lbs from where I am now
12.50%
I worry I will be up 5lbs or more from where I am now.
0%
I believe I will have lost 1-2lbs from where I am now.
0%
I hope I will have lost 3-4lbs from where I am now.
33.33%
I expect I will have lost 5-10lbs from where I am now.
25.00%
I trust I will have lost more than 10lbs from where I am now.
12.50%
I think you better come looking for me after New Years!
0%
Other (care to explain ?)
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
  • DREW: Can you be more specific? Like, how much cheese and meat and salad do you eat? What do you eat for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Are you eating any starchy carbs at all? Is the cheese you are eating low fat? Please post what you are eating for each meal today, and the amounts...so if you had three eggs, and two pieces of ww toast with butter, but that. If you had a salad, guesstimate how many cups of lettuce, and whether there was cheese and meat on it, and how much salad dressing you put on it. These details will help determine if there is something you are doing wrong that you need to correct. Don't get discouraged! You CAN do this, and there is no better program than SugarBusters!

KENG: Before you order agave off the internet, go to Harry's in Gwinnett. They have it on the shelf for $2.59 a bottle. Its with the honey. You probably will save $$ driving up there, because shipping is going to make that stuff off the internet be about $5 a bottle. While you are there, check out the Wheat Montana flour at the grind your own station. It makes the BEST bread! They also have some great ww crackers...there are Ak Mak crackers which are delicious, as well as the Nairns Oat cakes in the British area that are 100% whole grain oatmeal. Which International Farmer's Market do you go to? I love cooking Asian foods, and I frequent the ones on Buford Hwy at 285, and the one at Peachtree Ind. and Clairmont a lot.

JENN: If you are not doing as well as you did last time you were on SB, maybe you need to get a few things checked out. I always encourage slow losers to have their thyroids checked. The levels for normal thyroid function have changed, and are now lower than before, so people who used to be borderline are now considered hypothyroid. (slow)

Gotta go pick up Laura....
  • MONET: I had considered the thyroid thing. My grandmother has it and my aunt was just diagnosed. However, would getting on the hormone really help me lose weight and if I only have a few minor symptoms(weight gain, heavier periods, fatigue) is it worth having to take something for the rest of my life? I know that sounds kookie, but I just don't like constant medication. Plus, I think my symptoms are common for many many people. It could be due to a lack of exercise. What do you think? I am actually PMS at the moment and waiting for my little friend to get here any moment (Cross your fingers. That could be another explanation). If TOM is "unusual" agin this month, I will see my doc.
    Thanks,
    Jennifer
  • Back from lunch...(m)
    and more catching up, part two...

Monet : I went to Harry's in Marietta last weekend and was disappointed that they don't carry Agave, only Stevia. I even went to the honey section but couldn't find anything. I will need dh to take me there (Gwinnet) since it is way out of my comfort area. Thanks.

jecrites : I never thought I will want to try mash califlower but after reading your post, I will. I am going to make it and see if dh can guess what it is. Sorry, I have no advice on your dd just some warm {{hugs}}}. Hope you find the "solution" soon. Oh yes, I do get tired trying to figure out what's for lunch and sometimes dinner. Dh goes to work at 2pm so I usually cook a decent lunch and eat whatever for dinner but with dd, I want to make sure she has a balance and healthy meals so sometimes I will make dinner too.

Pancho : Glad you found a solution on your anniversary. Enjoy and have fun!

musicteach : Welcome back! I am fairly new so I am looking forward to know you

agape : I am a night owl too but am also trying to go to sleep early but yesterday ended up sleeping around 2am and dd woke up up at 7-something. Yawwnnn...hope tonight, I will do better. I read that you are looking for Chow Chow recipe. I saw one in my cookbook. It is actually a cookbook of a famous southern restaurant here in GA. I will be happy to post the recipe if you want to.

Jack-K : Your dinner certainly sound delicious! I love pasta so it has always been hard to eat just one cup but I am trying. How do you baked your ziti?

Toni48 : WTG on the 2 lbs.

Debbie : Oh poor Debbie, hope you are able to get some rest. Yesterday, I slept after one but when dh came home mins later, he was on the computer flying his virtual airplane. It was so loud! The pc is in the room right now but soon, I will ask him to move it to another room. Then, he walked in and out of the room, had some nuts and close the door, gosh, I really couldn;t sleep until over 2am. I had to get up and remind him that it was late. Yawnnn....

fatboydrew : Welcome to the board! I am no answers to your questions but I am sure if you stick around, we might be able to help you figure it out.

Yellowrose : Glad you arrived safely. I have motion sickness too..from when I was very young till now. I get sick just about in any form of transport. Sighhh.. Tried, seaband and pills so far (knocked me out which wasn't a problem before but with a dd now, it is not an option) but heard someone mentioned about "patch". So, I am going to ask my dr when I visit him next time.

jenn28 : Welcome to the board! I also post on Sweettalk too and couldn't get in for the last 2 days as well. This is a great board with amazing support system. Looking forward to know you Actually, I am doing almost zero exercise right now except running around with dd. I am having a hard time starting again but will take baby steps! Sounds to me you are doing great though. I hope you eat enough. I watch a show on TV once where few people were put on diferrent diet and the one who chose lotsa exercise and healthy eating actually have difficulty losing weight. Later she found out that she actually needed to eat more and then she started t lose weight from there. I am sure the others here will be able to give you more insight.

A question :

1) Does anyone have any sweet potatoes souffle recipe? I have a recipe in my cookbook that asked for granulated sugar an brown sugar. I guess I can substitute them with Agave?

Thanks.
  • WIW
    I just have a sec but I wanted to post my weight...yucky...LOL still at 156 so I'll take it. It was up. Reading post but not time to reply......thinking of you all.

Love,
    Crystle
  • HLHS stands for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. It's a heart condition(born with) that basically means you don't have(or have a very small) a left ventricle, the main pumping chamber of the heart. You can't live without one. And nope, they don't put in a new one. They do a series of 3(hopefully) open heart surgeries that totally reconstruct the heart so that eventually, it's like the child has half a heart, the right ventricle therefore does all the work. The question is when or will the right ventricle, which is enlarged from carrying the extra load, give out? I hope never, in our case. CHD stands for congenital heart defect, so in other words, a heart defect that you are born with, not something that is acquired like adult heart disease.

I made "Larry's sweet potato pie" today, very delish. I've eaten too much! Oh yea, WIW- sucked. I was up a pound more to 177. I know that this pound is fluid, eyes and fingers are a little puffy. So hopefully, it'll be better tomorrow. Gotta go, looking for a song called My Immortal to send to Amber, Chloe's Mom. She was wanting ideas for funeral music. Anyone ever heard of it- hard to listen to without crying. Very beautiful and sad. It's by Evanescense.
  • Gosh the board has been busy this afternoon.

I forgot to post my starchy carbs for yesterday. 2 1 cup of pasta.
    It will be the same for today.

Heading home, guess we will have the left over ziti again. DH will be late. I will try to get my exercises in before he gets home.

Deb, congrats on the 1 lb. Gosh Eli off 2 days in a row. You will be sick of him by the end of it. Have fun you deserve some quality time together. Kim is about 90 minutes from me so NO could be the same 10 hrs or maybe a little more.

JEC, I'm sure you will see a new set of numbers next week. Just hang in there. I miss cornbread so much. I wish there was a way to make it legal.

Drew, what diet were you following to lose the 12 pounds? I can't imagine gaining that much. Maybe post some of your meals so we can critique them.

Mom, congrats on the 1 lb. Glad those 10's fit. They will fit fine soon.

Kim, I was so excited so see another post, but so sorry to hear about your dad. Prayers for him and for your safe trip, I'm sure he will be fine since they got him to the hospital quickly. My dad lived with CHF for years. When the fluid increased and his breathing got bad they would take him in and get rid of the fluid. Thinking of you.

Pancho, that's the way I want to do it, have a 5 pound cushion. Now I just have to get to goal to get that cushion.

Fillise, congrats on being OP yesterday and good luck for doing it again tonight. You can do it, I have faith in you.

Rose, so glad you are home safe and sound. Good idea on the knitting. I drive my DH crazy in the car too. I have a big problem with motion sickness too. I was wondering where Fruit was myself. No one has heard from her. I need to send her an email.

Woodfrogs, congrats on the 1/2 pound. A loss is a loss, heck I'll take it.

Jenn, Welcome to our board. I also started out on the sweet talk board and Deb lured me over here. I am much happier here. You get much for accurate info here (Deb knows soo much). People here are so friendly and never mean. It alwasys eems harder the second time you try to lose. I don't know why. Seems like our will and determination is not the same. You really have to decide what you want the most. I had tried so many diets (like everyone) but was tired of failing. I was determined this time I was not going to fail. Give this a good try and be strict and it will come off. I walk 3 miles 5 times a week and work out with wts ususally 4 nights. Good luck and I hope you join us.

County, we are at the same wt. Come on, lets go down down together.

Ken, No biggy on the ziti. Just cooked penne pasta, (100% duram semolina) added 1 pound of sausage (cooked), tomatoe sauce, italian spices, pepper and moz cheese and baked it about 70 minutes. Delish.

Heartmom, sorry you were up, it will come back down quickly.

Have a great evening everyone.

Jackie
    257/156/145
    10-10-01
  • Good Evening All

I didn't weigh this morning but I know that I am still up about seven pounds from my lowest. I hope to get my eating under control again. The last couple of months have been bad and I am tired of eating restaurant meals. I am at home this week - it's also the last week I will be working - so can at least have some home cooked meals again. Yesterday I stayed op but still ate more than I should have done. For lunch I had chicken breast and salad on a high-fibre ww pita bread plus some home cooked red lentils - it was delish. Then for dinner I made some salmon patties which I had with some home made coleslaw and green peas. I also made some leek soup. I had an unexpected day off yesterday so made myself busy in the kitchen. I started on Fitday again yesterday but probably won't do too much on there for the rest of this week as I find it rather time consuming. But hopefully next week I will have more time. I've really got to knuckle under and get rid of this excess baggage. At least I am still in the 190's.

Monet- Sorry to hear you were up this morning. I hope it is water weight and will be gone soon. I hope those guys will make short work of those cakes so you won't be tempted any more. I know how hard it is to resist that stuff. I'm fine as long as it is out of site. When it is in front of me then I have no will power. Although for me it is not the cake and sweet stuff that I crave but things like french fries.

Jack-K - Staying the same is fine. Certainly better than a gain.

Jecrites - I think deciding what to have for dinner every day is harder than the cooking. I've only got my son at home and I don't get many suggestions from him.

Toni - Good going on losing 2 pounds this week.

Debbie - Sorry that you had such a crappy night. Hope you do better tonight. Congrats on the one pound gone. Hope you had a good day out with Eli to-day. And please stop cursing the hot weather down there. I'd like it to stay that way for another 5-6 weeks at least. I'll be down that way for a vacation again in December. We will be away for Christmas again this year. Will be visiting Orlando - my ds wants to take the kids to Disney again - and we will also be visiting the west coast and will be staying in Bonita Springs for a week. So keep that weather nice and hot.

Sef - That's great that you are down 7 pounds.

Kim - So sorry to hear about your Dad. I will be saying a prayer for you.

Sorry I can't respond to you all. I've been away too long to catch up. Have to go and grab a bite to eat - leftovers for me tonite - as I am off to play badminton this evening. Haven't had much exercise lately.

Bye for now.

Marie.
  • AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!

I'll get right to the point today....THIS COMPUTER SYSTEM SUCKS!!!

AGAPE...here's the recipe that we have:

CHOW CHOW
    1 gallon chopped cabbage
    1/2 gallon chopped green tomatoes
    1 dozen large onions (chopped)
    1 dozen sweet green peppers (chopped)
    1 dozen sweet red peppers (chopped)
    2 lbs sugar
    1 gallon vinegar
    6 tbs white mustard seed
    3 tbs celery seed
    1/2 c grund mustard
    1 tbs ground ginger
    1 tbs turmeric

10% BRINE: 1 lb salt in 9 pints of water

Cover the chopped ingredients with a 10 % brine . Let stand 12 to 24 hrs, then drain. Heat the spices, vinegar and sugar to the boiling point and then mix with the veggies. Stir until well blended, and let it stand over night. In the morning, stir well and pack in sterilized 12 oz or pint glass jars. Seal and store in a cool place.

If you like it hot, you can add hot peppers chopped up in the veggies....we like both, and it's WONDERFUL with PINTO BEANS!!!
    My GM made CHOW CHOW every year, and we were never without it...now that she's gone, we depend on my Aunt, but she's slowing down on her canning...
    GOOD LUCK!!!

JENNIFER....OK...spill the beans...where in KY are you located?
    I'm originally from Middlesboro and Lexington...
    {{{{{{{WELCOME TO OUR WORLD}}}}}}}}}

DEB....Sorry you're having the sleeping problem again...I was right there with you on Sunday night, but drug my butt out and went to work! HOpe you had a good day with ELI....pinch him for me will you?

MARIE....GOOD TO SEE YA!!! We miss you when you're not around....Have you been with KIM??? She's been missing too!

JACKIE...Thanks, I hope they do a write up on the tree...I'll be looking forward to the article if you find it. Your supper sounded so good that you had....

LAURIE...I've never had a sweet potato pie....I know that sounds strange coming from someone who has lived in the South all her life, but it just never sounded good to me...Glad you enjoyed it!

DREW....{{{{{WELCOME}}}}} Hope we can figure out your problem...

ROSE...So glad to hear y'all are home safe and sound...anything interesting happend on your way home this year???

Time to fix supper...Have a great evening

BOB
  • Ok here goes,

Breakfast is usually: 2 eggs adn bacon or 1 or 2 cups of wheaties

Lunch and Dinner: usualy hamburgers, no bun, and a small slice of cheese melted.......i usually eat maybe 2 of the frozen patties or if i make them, usually 2 small ones after they shrink......

he have had chicken alfredo, we do breakfast at night, and do salads for dinner sometimes

for salad, i usually do around 2 1/2 cups of lettuce, reg. cheese, some cucumbers, onions, and cover with ranch dressing. if salad is side, usually just 1 cup.....

But none of that has changed since beginning. I lost 6lbs first week.

i think, my water intake has decreased lately so i am going to drink my share plus some for the next week to see how it comes out. I will weigh tomorrow so i will have a place to measure the water experiment.

thanks, drew
  • Hi all:

It has been raining non-stop today; I LOVE IT!! I have done well with my eating; we will see if the scale reflects it tomorrow. Tonight is Bachelor night, so I will be eating my popcorn with m&m's; two more episodes, and then I am done for awhile.

Yellow: Glad you are safe & sound. Good for you and DH that you found something to occupy you on teh road.

wood: Congrats on the tremendous loss in past 6 months!!

Jenn: Welcome. We are glad to have you. I only workout 3-4x per week; your body does need a break. Good luck reaching goal; don't stress too much about friend's wedding; any weight you lose between now and then is less than what you weigh now.

drew: Some of us actually lose better when we up our whole grains. Do you drink skim milk and eat lite cheese? You'll get there; hang in there.

Ken: Thanks. I do intend to enjoy the only night I get out in a year .

Country: Hi there; glad you were able to check in. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Heart: I haven't heard of that song, but I am sure it is beautiful. So thoughtful of you. I will continue to keep Chloe's family in my prayers!

Well, better go figure out what's for dinner as DH will be home soon.

Have a great evening!
    Nat
  • Here's another GREAT RECIPE SITE for y'all

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/gkbopp/Foo...IPES/index.htm

BOB
  • Hey All

I've been allotted 5 minutes to get on the computer and say hello. MICHAEL looks like a zombie and tells me he won't be able to sleep again tonight. It's ridiculous, but what can I say, nothing I say makes a difference. Can't say the kid isn't driven.

Will be on tomorrow to try and catch up. ELI is off and we'll be working around the house to prepare for the garage sale, but I'll try to get on while he's asleepin the a.m.

Nite!

Deb
  • Southern Born and Bred
    If you are from the northern states and planning on visiting or moving to
    the South, there are a few things you should know that will help you adapt
    to the difference in lifestyles:

The North has coffee houses, The South has Waffle Houses.

The North has dating services, The South has family reunions.

The North has switchblade knives, The South has Lee Press-on Nails.

The North has double last names, The South has double first names.

The North has Ted Kennedy, The South has Jesse Helms.

The North has Indy car races, The South has stock car races.

The North has Cream of Wheat, The South has grits.

The North has green salads, The South has collard greens.

The North has lobsters, The South has crawdads.

The North has the rust belt, The South has the Bible Belt.

In the South: -- If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in
    a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly.
    Don't try to help them, just stay out of their way. This is what they live
    for.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store . . .
    do not buy food at this store.

Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is
    plural possessive.

Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"

Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to
    use it.

Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying. They can't
    understand you either. The first Southern statement to creep into a
    transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol," truck or
    "big'ol" boy. Most Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect
    this way. All of them are in denial about it.

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

Be advised that "He needed killin" is a valid defense here.

If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this," you should
    stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'll ever say.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest
    accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery
    store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have
    to go there.

Do not be surprised to find that 10-year-olds own their own shotguns, they
    are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.

In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is
    to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.

AND REMEMBER:

If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will
    accept them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we
    wouldn't call 'em biscuits.

Have a good day ya'll!!!
  • It's nity nite time!
    Hello again,
    What a day, I am tired to the bones . I know for a fact that I will be retiring early tonight. I usually take a nap when the kids do, but today I didn't and I can feel it. We had a high of 63, right now it is 58 and a tornado watch until 10 tonight, not to mention high wind gales . No doubt, I will sleep right thru it .

Jack-K ~~ There's lessons to be learned in life's hard knocks, I just wish that it didn't have to be like that. The comfort I have is knowing that she is in a better place .

Toni ~~ WTG, I know that you're proud of yourself. Keep it up!

Debbie ~~ I'm feeling the way you felt this morning. I feel like I've been body slammed! Thank you for the info. I knew from the test that I had to have done, one in particular, seeing a psychologist, just to see if your mind is straight or if you can handle what will happen to you. After a while I was soooooooo happy that the insurance rejected me. I was just reminded that I missed Oprah, she had a lady on today I believe, that lost a lot of weight, about 200 lbs. Just love that signature thingie !

Jecrites ~~ I really like both of them, esp. when I put in a few drops of seseme seed oil and do a stir fry over rice . yummy to my tummy!

Drew ~~ Welcome to SB . You have come to the right place. Many of the ladies can and will help you. I'm leaving this to the experts. I think it would be helpful if you stated what you eat in a day.

Quilter ~~ WTG, we are both on a roll!

Kengjw ~~ Thank you, that would be wonderful if you could post the recipe. It is a little after 7 here and I assure you, I will be in the bed by 8. I've heard in several places (reading and tv) that healing hormones secrete between 10pm and 2 am that helps our bodies heal. You must be resting to get full benefit.

Bob ~~ Wow, thank you so much. I will give it a try, even tho I was asking for my sis. I love most beans, pintos are one of my favorite. I think this would also be good with greens and just about anything. I've printed it out already. Will let you know how it turns out .

To the rest of you darlings, have a great night...

See Ya,

• GREAT TRUTHS THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:

1) No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.
    2) When your Mom is mad at your Dad, don't let her brush your hair.
    3) If your sister hits you, don't hit her back. They always catch the second person.
    4) Never ask your 3-year old brother to hold a tomato.
    5) You can't trust dogs to watch your food.
    6) Don't sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.
    7) Never hold a Dust-Buster and a cat at the same time.
    8) You can't hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk.
    9) Don't wear polka-dot underwear under white shorts.
    10) The best place to be when you're sad is Grandpa's lap.

GREAT TRUTHS THAT ADULTS HAVE LEARNED:

1) Raising teenagers is like nailing Jell-O to a tree.
    2) Wrinkles don't hurt.
    3) Families are like fudge...mostly sweet, with a few nuts.
    4) Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
    5) Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
    6) Middle age is when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the joy.

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT GROWING OLD

1) Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
    2) Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
    3) When you fall down, you wonder what else you can do while you're down there.
    4) You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.
    5) It's frustrating when you know all the answers but nobody bothers to ask you the questions.
    6) Time may be a great healer! but it's a lousy beautician.
    7) Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.

THE FOUR STAGES OF LIFE:

1) You believe in Santa Claus.
    2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
    3) You are Santa Claus.
    4) You look like Santa Claus.

SUCCESS:

At age 4 success is . . . not peeing in your pants.
    At age 12 success is . . . having friends.
    At age 16 success is . . ..having a drivers license.
    At age 20 success is . . . going all the way.
    At age 35 success is . . . having money.
    At age 50 success is . . . having money.
    At age 60 success is . . . going all the way.
    At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
    At age 75 success is . . ..having friends.
    At age 80 success is . . . not peeing in your pants.