So happy to be back!

• Hi all!

I've been riding the rollercoaster of life for a bit, but happy to be back.

*54 yo
    *Self-employed - 3 businesses (tax, biz esl, travel mentor)
    *Newly remarried
    *Two grown boys, 28 & 22
    *1 grandson
    *I am a bellydancer, knitter and food anthropologist.

I am currently almost immobile due to a gymnastic injury when I was 15yo. Both knees now have osteoporosis and arthritis and both move out of place, even when standing still or in bed. This led to weight gain.

In order to get a new knee I have had to lose 20 lbs. which has been rough since I can't move much. I then have to keep it off for 2mos before he will find a surgery date that will take from 2-4 mos in addition. I told him I am continuing to my target but I NEED to be able to walk and move around to keep losing. His answer, "I'm a tough dr.". I have Bipolar Disorder and am taking 2 meds that make me gain weight (I am not changing meds). It's frustrating because my dr. is in his 30s and fit so he doesn't understand my issues even though I tried to tell him it was the immobility that made me gain and not the other way around. I am sure many of you can relate to my situation.

I can barely leave my home for the last 6 mos. because of my immobility. Just four years ago I was a bellydancer performing on stage! So, I guess I just have to live with the discrimination for a bit as I fear a "mean girls" situation among the drs. if I go over his head to another.

I have always eaten well, but to meet this goal soon so I can walk again I put myself on a predominantly zero sugar, low-no carb, non-dairy, high protein shakes set at a 900 cal/day diet. I have tried 1000 cals and only maintained my weight, so 900 has been the sweet spot. I am aware that very low cal diets can make the body feel it is starving and I have been dieting since 1980. This is working for me. I have tried to decrease by 100 from 1200 until I found a range that made me lose and keep losing. >1200=gain/1200-1000 maintain/<1000=loss

At the moment I have hit a plateau and am looking for effective ways to move it along a little faster since I only have 7lbs to my surgery goal.

I can't wait to be able to dance, walk around the lake, hike and (carefully) roller skate again! I also can't wait to be able to stand for long periods again so I can travel and again cook all of those international meals I learned during my travels!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to making new friends, learning and advising here!

Peace,
    ~Lori
  • Welcome back, Lori (Paradigmshift),

Congrats for making the first 13 pounds of your 20 pound goal so that you can get surgery.

Wishing you the best to stay your path to get there.
  • Thanks, Bill. I love this board, it's like family.
  • wlc back friend